Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Full Dark, No Stars (edition 2010)

by Stephen King

3,8071721,933 (3.97)1 / 205
Member:ezvezdova
Title:Full Dark, No Stars
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Recently added byCofrinLibrary, rena75, private library, Jmoore433, qsariup, oliverhasleft, boekboy
    The Museum of Dr. Moses: Tales of Mystery and Suspense by Joyce Carol Oates (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The darkness of the human heart is the territory explored in 'The museum of Dr. Moses' and 'Full dark, no stars.' Guilt, revenge, troubled marriages, and the family life of serial killers are some of the subjects in these story collections.… (more)
    Ghosts and Grisly Things by Ramsey Campbell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ordinary people and atmospheres thick with menace characterize 'Ghosts and grisly things' and 'Full dark, no stars.' These stories range from the supernatural to the psychological thriller, exploring themes of revenge and murder, leavened with occasional dark humor.… (more)

English (165)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (172)
So, thriller is most definitely not my genre, but I can't deny that Stephen King is a master - both in his genre and with words in general. He paints incredibly vivid people, murdering for reasons they think right, and dealing with the consequences.

While I'm still not into thrillers, I can't deny the pull these stories have, and I'm sure I'll try a full-length King novel in the future. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Hated it at first. I think maybe Stephen King was reading the "Men who Hate Women" books! ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Very enjoyable, although '1922' did drag on a bit for me and 'Fair Extension' seemed to end too soon.
'Big Driver' was definitely my favorite of the 4 stories. I couldn't go to sleep until I finished that one, even though I kept nodding off. 'A Good Marriage' was a close second, although I had read that one previously.
I have just recently started reading Stephen King and so far, so good. Eager to try out one of his novels soon. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
Another wonderful short story book by Mr. King. Loved all the stories and I reviewed each one below:

1922 - Story about a man who murders his wife. Throughout most of the story I thought okay what's going to happen. The wife was killed and put in a well. The son feels bad about helping his dad. Towards the end of the story it gets so much better and creepier! Between the son turning into the criminal and the father losing his mind (or does he?), it was a great story.

Big Driver - Story about a author who goes into the path of a madman... and gets her revenge. Excellent story and loved the ending.

Fair Extension - A weird story about a man who has cancer who meets a strange figure who can lengthen his life by making someone else's horrible. I thought it was interesting.

A Good Marriage - What happens with a wife in a 27 year marriage finds out her husband is a serial killer? My favorite story in the book. All the thought processes that went through her head and loved the ending.

Bonus Story Under the Weather - A little creepy story about a husband who is in denial that his wife is dead...literally in his bed. Good story and definitely creepy. ( )
  booklover3258 | Jun 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed reading this but the one story really reminded me of BTK. Anyways... ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
Mr. King’s “Full Dark, No Stars” has a lot of straight-up horror. The sheer size of its rodent population is enough to stamp it with the horror label. But it will serve as a page turner even for the reader who is aghast at some of the whisker-twitching particulars.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bark, JeffCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hecht, JessicaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tabby
Still.
April 11, 1930, Magnolia Hotel, Omaha, Nebraska. TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: My name is Wilfred Leland James, and this is my confession. (1922)
Tess accepted twelve compensated speaking engagements a year, if she could get them. (Big Driver)
Streeter only saw the sign because he had to pull over and puke. (Fair Extension)
The one thing nobody asked in casual conversation, Darcy thought in the days after she found what she found in the garage, was this: How's your marriage? (A Good Marriage)
I've been having this bad dream for a week now, but it must be one of the lucid ones, because I'm always able to back out before it turns into a nightmare. (Under the Weather)
The dead understand everything. (1922)
Come 2030 (if there is such a year), all Nebraska west of Omaha will be one big farm. Probably it will be owned by the Farrington Company, and those unfortunate enough to live on that land will pass their existence under dirty yellow skies and wear gas masks to keep from choking on the stench of dead hogs. And every stream will run red with the blood of slaughter.
(1922)

Contains four short stories by Stephen King, including "1922," in which James' wife's suggestion that they sell the family homestead and move to Omaha leads to a murderous chain of events, along with "Big Diver," "Fair Extension," and "A Good Marriage."

Prolific author Stephen King presents a collection of four new novellas. In the story 1922, a man plunges into the depths of madness when his wife attempts to sell off the family home. A mystery writer, who was beaten and raped while driving home from her book club, plots her revenge in Big Driver. Diagnosed with a deadly cancer, a man makes a deal with the devil in Fair Extension. And in A Good Marriage, a woman discovers her husband's darker side while he is away on a business trip.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,524,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible