Enemy Within by Marcella Burnard

Enemy Within (edition 2010)

by Marcella Burnard

Info:Berkley Trade (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:sci-fi, sci-fi-romance, space-opera, space-opera-romance

Enemy Within by Marcella Burnard

Can't really give it a rating. I did not finish it. I really just couldnt get into it. ( )
  eswaim | Feb 17, 2014 |
Very reminiscent of Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair, it was very good. I think I liked it more than Gabriel's Ghost. ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
It took a lot of effort to want to continue this book at first. I found it a little TOO overwhelming to start with - events happening too fast, a lot of new information constantly being given about the characters before you had time to process what you've just learned - but I'm glad I stuck with it.

By the halfway mark I was positively looking forward to my reading time at the end of the work day.

A great read, after all! I'm looking forward to the next book, though I'd rather hoped it would continue with Ari's story (and not switched to different characters).

Still, it's a fascinating and unique universe that the author has created. I look forward to reading more about it! ( )
  snitchbitch | Sep 10, 2013 |
This book had a very interesting plot, but also some mechanical issues that diluted my enjoyment. Several times over the course of the book I found myself back tracking to understand quick changes in direction, and many of the supporting characters weren't fleshed out enough to carry their dialogue and roles (I'm still not sure about the Queen, she seemed to vascilate between wanting the shove Ari out an airlock and wanting to be a matchmaker). ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Enemy Within is a Science Fiction Romance story by Marcella Burnard which tells the story of Captain Alexandria Rose Idylle otherwise known as Ari. Here is the blurb.

As far as pirate leader Cullin is concerned, Ari's past imprisonment puts her dead centre in Cullin's sights. If she hasn't been brainwashed and returned as a spy, then he's convinced she must be part of a traitorous alliance endangering billions of lives. Cullin can't afford the desire she fires within him and he'll stop at nothing, including destroying her, to uncover the truth.

If you know me or you have read any of my reviews before you will know that I am not one for lots of romance in a book. Well this book had the typical romantic story of kidnapped girl falling for her kidnapper, not something that really floats my boat but I have to say I really enjoyed it to the point where I couldn’t put it down. I must be getting mushy in my old age or I've spent too much time reading dark gritty books. I was concerned I wouldn't like it at the beginning of the book. I found the pirate Cullin Seaghdh to be quite chauvinistic, Ari played the little lady, they fell for each other very quickly and the author wrote lines such as.

Anticipation sizzled through him, settling low in his belly. Cursing the tightening in his groin, he shifted and pushed the feeling away.

This really isn’t the kind of stuff I enjoy reading but I stuck with it and I’m glad I did as it improved no end. Once I got into the book we soon had a nice plot going, yes some of it was see through and we knew how it would all turn out but some of it was unexpected too. The Sci Fi was quite light but I loved it when we finally meet the Aliens and the events that ensue. Hicci the Alien held Ari prisoner was fantastic a real evil character. I liked Ari and Cullin they did annoy me at times hiding their feelings for each other and such but in general I enjoyed them. OK so it might appear from this review that I wasn’t that keen on the book but that isn’t the case and I would like to give Enemy Within 4 stars out of 5. If you like Romance with a bit of Sci Fi I recommend you check this book out. ( )
  clairesbooks | Feb 13, 2012 |

After a stint in an alien prison, Captain Ari Rose wonders why she even bothered to survive. Stripped of her command and banished to her father's scientific expedition to finish a Ph.D. she doesn't want, Ari never planned to languish quietly behind a desk. She wasn't built for it, either. But when pirates commandeer her father's ship, Ari once again becomes a prisoner. As far as pirate leader Cullin is concerned, Ari's past imprisonment puts her dead center in Cullin's sights. If she hasn't been brainwashed and returned as a spy, then he's convinced she must be part of a traitorous alliance endangering billions of lives. Cullin can't afford the desire she fires within him and he'll stop at nothing, including destroying her, to uncover the truth--Cover,[p.4].… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible