Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Sh*t My Dad Says

by Justin Halpern

The book is based on the twitter account Shit My Dad Says, which (as you’d expect) consists of funny and insightful quotes from Halpern’s dad. But the book itself is less “funny shit my dad says,” and more “life lessons from my dad, who often says funny shit.”

It’s fairly good, as far as humorous essays go. ( )
  Andibook | Oct 12, 2015 |
This was a very different read for me. Whit the title I was both curious and nervous. curious about what kind of dad this guys had and nervous because any title that starts with "Sh*t" is going to have some cursing and foul language in it. Boy, was I right. In fact I severely underestimated just how much there would be. I can go to a club for several days straight and not hear so much! So my swear word quota for the month has by far been met. And to make it worse, we don't even get the actual words filled out we get a whole lot of these *! That makes it worse!!! One the cover I get it but anyone reading this knows what you mean so just use what you mean and move on.

The humor was mostly dry and crass but had its amusing moments. I will admit it got a few chuckles or smirks from me while reading. his dad is one of those people you can't help but at least partially like. But be warned, he does speak his mind. No filter in language or if it might offend you. I actually found a lot of it refreshing. But other parts I wanted to smack something. Certain things just grated on me wrong.

So mixed thoughts on this one. It definitely requires a certain type of audience. I can think of some who would love this and others who would want to burn it. Bottom line, just be aware of what you are getting into. If you are having a rough day and language doesn't bother you, this can likely pull you right out of your funk.
2.5 stars ( )
  jljaina | Oct 7, 2015 |
I picked up this book because of all the hype around it and because everyone on the train is reading either this book or one of those Girl with the Kraken Flipflops stories. BOY did it live up to the ballyhoo! And surpassed it! It's absolutely screamingly hilarious and fall-down funny! You have to read it. End of story. I read it in a day.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
DO NOT read this book if you are offended by swearing but DO read it if you want to be laughing out loud at regular intervals. I had heard of the TV show although I had never seen it so was intreged when I spied this in the local library thinking it would be an amusing little read and boy was I not wrong ! This book was hilarious, and full of brilliant quotes (most of them very unPC). Justins dad can come across as a bit of a red neck with some of the things he says but also talks alot of sense (he tends to say what other people are afraid to say alot of the time.) I can't really say any more about it because it would only be repeating what others have said already just to say I heartily recommend it if you want a book that will give you a really good laugh. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
A very light, funny, easy read. ( )
  austin.sears | Mar 15, 2015 |

Justin Halpernprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schemmel, SeanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dad, mom, Dan, Evan, Jose, and Amanda
Thank you for all your love and support
"All I ask is that you pick up your shit so you don't leave your bedroom looking like it was used for a gang bang. Also, sorry that your girlfriend dumped you."

When I was twenty-eight years old, I lived in Los Angeles and was in the third year of a long-distance relationship with my girlfriend, who lived in San Diego. Most Fridays I'd sit in traffic for three and a half hours as my 1999 Ford Ranger crawled 126 miles down the I-5 to San Diego. Every once in a while my car would decide to shut off its engine. Meanwhile, its radio was busted, so I only got one station, whose playlist seemed limited to songs from the burgeoning rapper Flo Rida. There's nothing like merging onto a freeway only to have your engine stop, steering wheel lock, and a deejay scream, "And here's MY MAN, Flo Rida, with his new hit 'Right Round'! Let's get this party started!"
"That woman was sexy. . . . Out of your league? Son, let women figure out why they won't screw you. Don't do it for them."
"Do people your age know how to comb their hair? It looks like two squirrels crawled on their heads and started fucking."

"The worst thing you can be is a liar. . . . Okay, fine, yes, the worst thing you can be is a Nazi, but then number two is liar. Nazi one, liar two."

On My First Day of Kindergarten
"You thought it was hard? If kindergarten is busting your ass, I got some bad news for you about the rest of life."
On Leaving My Toys Around the House
"Goddamn it, I just sat on your goddamned truck guy...Optimus Prime? I don't give a shit what it's called, keep it away from where I like to put my ass."

Tuesdays with Morrie meets F My Life in this hilarious coming-of-age book about a son's relationship with his foul-mouthed father by the 29-year-old comedy writer who created the massively popular Twitter feed of the same name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible