Wildwing by Emily Whitman

Title:Wildwing
Authors:Emily Whitman
Info:Greenwillow Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages

Wildwing by Emily Whitman

Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

A good book!

Wildwing is a historical fiction (which I don't read enough of). I actually only picked up the book because of its great cover (like I normally do). I was pretty happy to get into some historical fiction, even more since it's historical fiction plus time travel to another place and time (isn't that awesome!?!)

So, the main character, Addy really hates the time she's in (which would be the 1910s). She's treated like scum from her fellow students, and then she's sent to be a maid for a couple, but it turns out okay. Then... she finds a 'time machine' (oh, how would I like that!) and goes back in time! Then, she finds a swoon-whorty boy there *swoons too*. I love him! Oh, Will! *giggles*

But, since she's playing the role of a soon-to-be-married lady, then she can't afford to love him... but still, that doesn't stop her! Also, there are the enemies coming in! Oh well, that seems like a lovely time she's having (*cough* Right!)!

The writing was pretty good, but I thought there weren't enough old world! There were some, but not enough for the feel the author was trying to write about, because sometimes, you'd read an old word, but then you wouldn't hear of another for pages!

Overall, the plot was really imaginative. I enjoyed the story, and I have to admit, it made me want to read more historical fiction (with romance) books! ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
Trapped by her limited options as a young girl in 1913 and made fun of constantly by the girls at school, 15-year-old Addy longs to be anything but a servant. One day, forced by her mother to quit school, Addy becomes a maid for Mr. Greenwood, the local eccentric who mysteriously lost his son. Venturing behind a forbidden, locked door in the man’s study, Addy finds herself transported back in time to 13th century England. There she is mistaken for Lady Matilda, a gentlewoman who was arranged to marry the lord of a nearby castle. When Addy discovers that the real Lady Matilda died in a tragic ship accident just before she got there, she realized that she might have a chance at a new life. She can’t help but start to have feelings, however, for the falconer’s son shortly after arriving, however. To make matters worse, the caretaker of the castle sees right through Addy and threatens to kill her crush if she doesn’t marry the lord. Will Addy choose to return home or will she stay in 13th century England? If she stays, will she marry the lord or run off with the falconer’s son?

A great historical fantasy for fans of time travel. The characters are well-developed and likable. The plot is relatively unique and does a good job of holding the reader’s interest. Readers who like science fiction, adventure, and history will enjoy reading WILDWING. ( )
  kiramoody | Nov 2, 2011 |
History. Time traveling. The reasons I immediately added this to my list in a heartbeat. What first brought me to Wildwing was while I was browsing through amazon for any historical fiction books, then I came across this. The cover first sparked my interest then came the summary. It was an exciting story in which the pages soared taking me to a whole different world, really.

At first, I was confused when I was at the early chapters of the book. I thought that Addy would be from the present, 21st century, which is why it came to me as a shock when it took place in the 20th century. But as I came over that confusion, I was swept into Addy's world in 1913. Addy's struggle to get over the bullying is relatable to some girls today, and I think everyone would just love to escape their life.

My excitement began to build as Addy was transported by the time-machine to her town in the 13th century. Nothing was as epic as the Medieval times. Addy, having got the main role in their school play before her mother pulled her out, was ever the great actress. I found her slip-ups chuckle-worthy. Addy's fascination with birds seemed to pop out of nowhere but I enjoyed reading about it nonetheless.

Addy's relationship was enjoyable to read about, how the love they shared for each other seemed to build up. It seemed like nothing, but then towards the climax of the story I finally fell for Will. Will, I think is one of the most interesting characters and not until towards the climax I figured out how Will stumbled upon that time. I have to say, when Emily Whitman added that interesting and entertaining bit, it caught me by surprise.

Wildwing was an amazing fantasy that took me to two different centuries, full with romance, secrets, acts, and the will to overcome those who look down on you, make peace with your enemies. I couldn't have enjoyed this book more, like the seas, it was rough at the beginning then it slowly settles and calms down, peacefully. I loved it, that's all I can say. ( )
  TheRandomGirl | Oct 27, 2011 |
There is just something about historicals that bring me to life. I love reading them. Addy is swept back in time when she mess with a time machine. She is then mistaken for a lady and is taken back to the castle. She meets a falconer who has striking eyes that she remembers but just can not place it. In time she falls in love, hides secrets and discovers how this falconer really is...

I like this book. Addy life was uncomfortable and painful. She dealt with the constant teasing for her peers as well as the pressure of her mother to be put in her place. Addy was never allowed to have any dreams because her life was made out for her. I loved Addy. Her character was not like the others in the book. She was strong willed and knew that there was more to life than what she had.

She yearned for adventure and wanted more. Addy, after being swept into the past, learns so much more about herself. The twist in the book was good. Very good. When she met the falconer, I had no idea who he was. Ms. Whitman did a great job holding me in suspense as her characters played out there parts in revealing the secret. And boy was I happy! I jumped for joy (literally) when I found out.

Wildwing is a great historical and one I would never forget. Ms. Whitman did a wonderful job writing two different time lines very well. During the book I felt like I was Addy chasing down secrets and learning new ways. Simply wonderful. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Feb 1, 2011 |
In short: Wildwing by Emily Whitman was an interesting look into 13th century England but I found I could not relate to the main character and her motivations.

Wildwing by Emily Whitman tells the story of Addy, a girl born out of wedlock in 1913 England. Because of this, she is mocked by her peers and is forced to be a lowly maid. When she finds a time machine in her employer's home she doesn't hesitate to leave her miserable life behind and go to live in the 13th century where she's treated as a grand lady. Once there she meets Will, the falconer's son. The actual identity of Will was very obvious. Although in the author's defense, I don't think she really meant it to be a big surprise reveal at the end or else I believe she would have tried harder to make his identity a mystery.

Throughout most of the book I wasn't sure what to make of Addy's personality. There were times that I felt sympathetic towards her and her crappy life as a bastard child in the early 1900's. But my empathy quickly dissipated once she assumed the role of Lady Matilda and became horribly selfish. Her desire to have people serve her and be rich was a big character turn off for me. In one scene, she decides not to stand up for a kitchen boy who was beaten and threatened because she worries it will hurt her position as a grand lady. Also, I found it strange that never once did she worry about the life that she left back home, her mother specifically. When she plans on spending the rest of her life in the 13th century, her thoughts are never that she will miss her single mother who raised her, only her concern that she won't be able to be with Will in the way she would like.

Two thirds of the way into the novel, the story starts to pick up and Addy redeems herself mostly when she realizes her priorities in life. I really did enjoy the last part of the story as the plot reaches a peak and the story becomes a bit more interesting. I really responded to Whitman's writing style; it was very strong I thought. I also really enjoyed the scenes where Will was teaching Addy the art of hawking. It was fascinating learning about how birds of prey were used to hunt in the 13th century. Speaking of which, Novel Novice posted an interview with Whitman in which she admits to some historical inaccuracies that she had to allow for the sake of the story. I found that I really don't have a problem with any of the changes she had to make. I understood she had to do what she had to for the plot to progress.

There's just one last nitpicky thing that I feel like I have to mention and yet it probably is only a big deal to me. When Addy travels to the past she lands in the same spot she left, just 670 years earlier. Whitman describes the land in the area and the bluff leading down to a river as being familiar to Addy, not having changed any. WTF? This would simply not happen. The processes of weathering, erosion, and deposition are ALWAYS in effect and the land and river and slope down to the river would be very much different almost 700 years later!!!! Sorry, this just really bugged me O_O

ETA: I've thought of something else that bothered me and the more I think of it, the more it gets to me. SPOILER COMING UP. My problem is that wouldn't the future have been altered once Addy returned from the 13th century (Back To The Future style)? Even just a small change can change the course of the future and more than just a small change was made. Addy's employer, Mr. Greenwood, also goes back in time to meet Addy when he finds out she's gone. Once there, he educates the people on technologies that are advanced for the time. How would this not change the future? ...I'm probably overthinking this, aren't I?. ( )
2 vote AyleeArgh | Jan 3, 2011 |

Addy knows there's so much more to life than what she has. She must be destined for more than being a maid to an eccentric elderly man. And so when she finds a mysterious contraption in the gentleman's study, of course she steps inside. Of course she bumps into the wrong button. Suddenly Addy is in medieval England, mistaken for the young woman betrothed to the lord of the nearby manor. It's destiny. But is it home? And will she ever find her way back to her own time? Will she want to, once she's met the shy, handsome falconer's apprentice?

In 1913 London, fifteen-year-old Addy is a lowly servant, but when she gets inside an elevator car in her employer's study, she is suddenly transported to a castle in 1240 and discovers that she is mistaken for the lord's intended bride.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible