Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution

by Jennifer Donnelly

1,206None6,715 (4.15)177
18th century (11) 2010 (15) 2011 (18) ARC (17) death (31) depression (52) diary (24) family (19) fantasy (18) fiction (87) France (53) French Revolution (135) grief (66) guitar (16) high school (10) historical (36) historical fiction (166) music (76) musicians (18) mystery (13) New York (10) Paris (82) read in 2010 (12) romance (18) teen (25) time travel (59) to-read (45) YA (96) young adult (106) young adult fiction (17)
    Radiant Days by Elizabeth Hand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Hunger's Brides: A Novel of the Baroque by Paul Anderson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Modern girl Beulah studies the life of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, 17th century Mexican poet.
    Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Grief, angst, coping with personal tragedy and relationships - strong female protagonists.

English (144)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (146)
Every once in a while I come across a teen book that almost reads like and adult novel. Borrowing from Shrek, if I may..."Onions have layers, this book has layers. End of story..."

I really fell into this book and highly recommend it to any teen looking for something more substantial that what is currently out there right now.

Plus, Paris y'all! What's not to love about anything with a Paris setting! ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 8, 2014 |
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
This book was a solid 5 star book for so much of it. I loved it so much, and then towards the end it got, well frankly it got a little weird.

This review will contain some spoilers and some ranting, so if you don't want to know what happens, then please don't read on from here.

Initial reaction;
As I started reading this book I had high hopes, the idea of the story sounded really interesting, and it had a lot of history in it as well with Alex's journal. To begin with the story really pulls you in, the characters are brilliant, and the storyline is interesting and keeps you hooked. It had so much going for it, especially the fact that I really loved the main character, and all of the things she was dealing with, I think her character was written amazingly well.
I really loved how Alex's journal was interwoven into Andi's story, and how they had a lot in common as well as Andi developing a strong connection with Alex. The journal parts were written just as well as the modern day part of the story, and I loved how it went into some depth on the history of the revolution, all from Alex's unique point of view, all of that was amazing.

So why did I end up giving it only 4 stars? Well it all has to do with the last few chapters of the story, when all of a sudden Andi is in 18th century France, during the French Revolution. Now I'm all for twists in stories, but quite frankly, I found this one to be incredibly strange, and wholly unessential to the plot line. I mean yes Andi got to meet Amande which helped her with her project, and uncovering this huge mystery surrounding his birth and life in general, and in some weird way it helped her realize a lot about herself as well, but I just found it strange that all of a sudden she was in 18th century France, sharing her iPod with Amande! To me this whole plot line just seemed crazy.
Then once she is back in the 21st century again, and we find out she was just dreaming after being knocked out by a blow to the head, I was getting hopeful again, thinking the story would pick back up and I could just gloss over that whole crazy dream sequence, however things didn't pick up, unless by pick up you define it as picking up the pace. The rest of the novel felt hurried, it was just a quick glossing over of what happened next, covering big points like her discovering the true identity of Amande, her relationship with her father crumbling even more, and her mother getting out of the hospital, in one quick summary. I just felt like the whole thing was incredibly hurried. One minute she is planning on killing herself and then one quick drug/knock on the head induced trip to revolutionary France, and what do you know, she's cured.

Overall;
I loved this book, I know my slightly ranting review above may lead you to believe otherwise, but I truly did love this book, or at least a good 90% of it. I wish the dream thing had been left out, and that space had been used to better tie off the story, but overall I did really enjoy the book, and so it gets a good 4 out of 5.
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
This is a great example of young adult fiction: beautifully written and thoroughly researched yet not, to borrow Patrick Ness's phrase, "an adjective novel". There is an emotional vividness and a delight in story that will speak strongly to teenagers. I hope Donnelly returns to the genre a little sooner next time.

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, there’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnellyartfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love.
added by kthomp25 | editsummary

Jennifer Donnellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I found myself within a forest dark,

For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

Ah me! How hard a thing it is to say,

What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,

Which in the very thought renews the fear.

So bitter is it, death is little more...

- Dante

The Divine Comedy
For Daisy,

who kicked out the walls of my heart
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, deejay.
"History is a Rorschach test, people," she said. "What you see when you look at it is tells you as much about yourself as it does about the past."
Lights blink all around me for the gods of the holidays. Green and red for Santa. Blue for Judah Maccabee. White for Martha Stewart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385737637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: Revolution, Jennifer Donnelly's remarkable new novel, weaves together the lives of Andi Alpers, a depressed modern-day teenager, and Alexandrine Paradis, a brave young woman caught up in the French Revolution. While in Paris with her estranged father, a Nobel geneticist hired to match the DNA of a heart said to belong to the last dauphin of France, Andi discovers a diary hidden within a guitar case--and so begins the story of Alexandrine, who herself had close ties to the dauphin. Redemption and the will to change are powerful themes of the novel, and music is ever present--Andi and Alex have a passion for the guitar, and the playlist running through Revolution is a who's who of classic and contemporary influences. Danger, intrigue, music, and impeccably researched history fill the pages of Revolution, as both young women learn that, "it is love, not death, that undoes us."--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:17 -0400)

An angry, grieving seventeen-year-old musician facing expulsion from her prestigious Brooklyn private school travels to Paris to complete a school assignment and uncovers a diary written during the French revolution by a young actress attempting to help a tortured, imprisoned little boy--Louis Charles, the lost king of France.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible