Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution

by Jennifer Donnelly

Recently added bythukpa, zuzamiller, MisaBookworm, Ellemir, private library, Jessica_H_96
    The Red Necklace: a story of the French Revolution by Sally Gardner (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Revolution, although mostly contemporary, focuses in part on a teenage girl during the French Revolution, while Red, about a teen boy and the girl he tries to save, is set then. Both are compelling, complex stories of love and pain.
    Radiant Days by Elizabeth Hand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Hunger's Brides: A Novel of the Baroque by Paul Anderson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Modern girl Beulah studies the life of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, 17th century Mexican poet.
    Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Grief, angst, coping with personal tragedy and relationships - strong female protagonists.

English (155)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (157)
Very well woven story with interesting historical details incorporated. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Very well woven story with interesting historical details incorporated. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Andi's little brother Truman died and her family has never recovered. All her mother does is paint portraits of him, and all Andi can do is play music. She is in danger of failing her senior year b/c she just can't function and doesn't get anything out of class. Then the school sends a letter to her father and he comes home and finally sees what is really going on in Andi's home, so he whisks her off to France so she can begin working on her thesis. While in France Andi finds the diary of a girl her age during the French Revolution and the connection Andi feels is enough to keep Andi caught in the past.

Jennifer Donnelly is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. The writing style is beautiful and does a phenomenal job of expressing Andi's pain and how stuck she feels. There were points in the book where I Andi's depression felt so real it was almost getting to me. Donnelly also did a great job showing how there is hope and there is a point where people are just afraid to let it in.

So the only thing that I'm still in limbo about is the historical elements. The diary I got used to although sometimes I just wanted to go back and check on Andi, but I wasn't entirely sure if the trip back in time was necessary for Andi. In a lot of ways it did quickly sort of "fix" her life, but it still felt like it was lacking a little bit. The historical detail is great and I loved the composer, he was a phenomenal character and so interesting but I just wasn't sure the trip was necessary, particularly since it was such a long book. All in all I still really liked it though. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This is a great example of young adult fiction: beautifully written and thoroughly researched yet not, to borrow Patrick Ness's phrase, "an adjective novel". There is an emotional vividness and a delight in story that will speak strongly to teenagers. I hope Donnelly returns to the genre a little sooner next time.

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, there’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnellyartfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love.
added by kthomp25 | editsummary

Jennifer Donnellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I found myself within a forest dark,

For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

Ah me! How hard a thing it is to say,

What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,

Which in the very thought renews the fear.

So bitter is it, death is little more...

- Dante

The Divine Comedy
For Daisy,

who kicked out the walls of my heart
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, deejay.
"History is a Rorschach test, people," she said. "What you see when you look at it is tells you as much about yourself as it does about the past."
Lights blink all around me for the gods of the holidays. Green and red for Santa. Blue for Judah Maccabee. White for Martha Stewart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385737637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: Revolution, Jennifer Donnelly's remarkable new novel, weaves together the lives of Andi Alpers, a depressed modern-day teenager, and Alexandrine Paradis, a brave young woman caught up in the French Revolution. While in Paris with her estranged father, a Nobel geneticist hired to match the DNA of a heart said to belong to the last dauphin of France, Andi discovers a diary hidden within a guitar case--and so begins the story of Alexandrine, who herself had close ties to the dauphin. Redemption and the will to change are powerful themes of the novel, and music is ever present--Andi and Alex have a passion for the guitar, and the playlist running through Revolution is a who's who of classic and contemporary influences. Danger, intrigue, music, and impeccably researched history fill the pages of Revolution, as both young women learn that, "it is love, not death, that undoes us."--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

An angry, grieving seventeen-year-old musician facing expulsion from her prestigious Brooklyn private school travels to Paris to complete a school assignment and uncovers a diary written during the French revolution by a young actress attempting to help a tortured, imprisoned little boy--Louis Charles, the lost king of France.… (more)

219 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,120,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible