Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution

by Jennifer Donnelly

Radiant Days by Elizabeth Hand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Hunger's Brides: A Novel of the Baroque by Paul Anderson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Modern girl Beulah studies the life of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, 17th century Mexican poet.
    Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Grief, angst, coping with personal tragedy and relationships - strong female protagonists.

English (149)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (151)
This is up there as one of my favorite books of all time, in the beginning(and, really, throughout the entire book) Andi struggles with a deep depression. It's something I've never encountered first-hand but it is written so well I can understand what it's like to have such a loss and sadness in life.

But, what I thought was most amazing about this book was the music, I've been a more blasé music listener and somehow, with words, she made me love music again. Seeing how much it helped someone(albeit a very realistic fictional one) get through her pain makes me appreciate it more

My one caveat is the last third(nicely based on Dante's venerable 3 books) is very odd. It ties the book nicely together but it is an odd transition from straight-faced realism to decidedly more fantasy but Donnelly describes this new scene with such skill that it isn't as bad as it might seem(if you do get that far, just keep going, the suspension of belief is easily gotten but the end) ( )
  Lorem | Sep 27, 2014 |
4.5 stars. Enjoyed the story, although the main part happens in the last 50 pages or so. Also learned a lot about music history and the French Revolution. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Another book about spoiled rich kids going to a swanky school in New York City? Lord help me! These young people are so soulless that they gather each morning before school to get themselves chemically enhanced in order to get through the day. And it doesn't help that the protagonist, Andi, is not only spoiled, with a falling apart family, she's also depressed and basically unlikable. Her only redeeming feature is that she plays a mean guitar. I was about to set Revolution aside, but the beauty of A Northern Light kept niggling at me. Okay, I'd give it one more chapter--and it just happened to be the chapter where Andi agrees to go with her father to Paris for winter vacation. They are staying with friends of the family who live in a warehouse in Paris, which G plans to turn into a museum of the French Revolution. Boxes of Revolutionary artifacts are everywhere! G hands Andi a guitar circa 1795, and tucked into a secret compartment in the guitar's case, she finds a diary written in 1795 by Alexandrine Paradis, a lower class girl who has developed a relationship with the Royal family. I won't go into spoiler territory here, but will just say that my interest--and the book's pace--picked up dramatically at this point. In the end, this was a fascinating look at life during Revolutionary times, with a healthy dose of music, both pop and classical. Give it a chance, and don't be put off by the slow start! ( )
  alexann | Jun 3, 2014 |
I really wanted to like this book (either the way I liked A Northern Light or the way I liked The Tea Rose), but it fell almost completely flat to me, I think because of the modern setting. What in her historical stories felt dramatic and larger-than-life here felt melodramatic and... almost cynical. Andi's personality never seemed authentic to me, and the historical narrative never did, either. (It didn't help that one of the historical figures around whom the story revolves was made up.) (Also, tangentially, who makes up an antidepressant?!) Unsatisfying. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
This is a great example of young adult fiction: beautifully written and thoroughly researched yet not, to borrow Patrick Ness's phrase, "an adjective novel". There is an emotional vividness and a delight in story that will speak strongly to teenagers. I hope Donnelly returns to the genre a little sooner next time.

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, there’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnellyartfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love.
added by kthomp25 | editsummary

Jennifer Donnellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I found myself within a forest dark,

For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

Ah me! How hard a thing it is to say,

What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,

Which in the very thought renews the fear.

So bitter is it, death is little more...

- Dante

The Divine Comedy
For Daisy,

who kicked out the walls of my heart
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, deejay.
"History is a Rorschach test, people," she said. "What you see when you look at it is tells you as much about yourself as it does about the past."
Lights blink all around me for the gods of the holidays. Green and red for Santa. Blue for Judah Maccabee. White for Martha Stewart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385737637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: Revolution, Jennifer Donnelly's remarkable new novel, weaves together the lives of Andi Alpers, a depressed modern-day teenager, and Alexandrine Paradis, a brave young woman caught up in the French Revolution. While in Paris with her estranged father, a Nobel geneticist hired to match the DNA of a heart said to belong to the last dauphin of France, Andi discovers a diary hidden within a guitar case--and so begins the story of Alexandrine, who herself had close ties to the dauphin. Redemption and the will to change are powerful themes of the novel, and music is ever present--Andi and Alex have a passion for the guitar, and the playlist running through Revolution is a who's who of classic and contemporary influences. Danger, intrigue, music, and impeccably researched history fill the pages of Revolution, as both young women learn that, "it is love, not death, that undoes us."--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:17 -0400)

An angry, grieving seventeen-year-old musician facing expulsion from her prestigious Brooklyn private school travels to Paris to complete a school assignment and uncovers a diary written during the French revolution by a young actress attempting to help a tortured, imprisoned little boy--Louis Charles, the lost king of France.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible