Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Revolution (edition 2010)

by Jennifer Donnelly

Authors:Jennifer Donnelly
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2010), Kindle Edition, 498 pages
Tags:historical fiction, French revolution, teenage depression

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Revolution, although mostly contemporary, focuses in part on a teenage girl during the French Revolution, while Red, about a teen boy and the girl he tries to save, is set then. Both are compelling, complex stories of love and pain.
    Radiant Days by Elizabeth Hand (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Hunger's Brides: A Novel of the Baroque by Paul Anderson (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Modern girl Beulah studies the life of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, 17th century Mexican poet.
    Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Grief, angst, coping with personal tragedy and relationships - strong female protagonists.

English (164)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (166)
Wow! This one knocked my socks off. The best YA I've read in some time.
Teenage angst, music, Paris, DNA testing, more music, The Terror, young love, catacombs, raves (with more music) and time travel! What a rollercoaster. A very meta ride, for those of you who like that kind of thing. I certainly do. You might want to keep YouTube or Spotify handy to listen to the music references. I really enjoyed this one all the way through and I will be reading more of Donnelly. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Aug 26, 2016 |
I "read" Revolution on Audible; the readers, Emily Janice Card, Emma Bering, are fantastic.
The book is great. It makes the French Revolution live, while also unfolding the suspenseful events in the life of present-day protagonist Andi, who is musically, linguistically adept, but emotionally traumatized by the shocking death of her little brother. I don't want to spoil anything for readers, so I'm not including here any discussion of the two-timeline story.
I might give this book a quarter of a star less because of a few instances of unlikely coincidence and my own sympathies with the incredible poverty of the French populace while the aristocrats enjoyed plenty, but, really, it's a wonderful, wonderful book. The author knows music, so much so that it infuses the entire book beautifully. Music is the part of Andi that is her strength and her hope, and Ms. Donnelly expresses this powerfully. She also portrays Paris vividly and convincingly. Her characters are like real people—strong, flawed, weak, complex, generous, selfish, imaginative, dull, all at the same time, and different from each other in their combinations of traits.
I was torn while listening to "Revolution" between sticking with the excellent audio version that I could only use when it was convenient, and bagging that and picking up the print version and swallowing it whole. I chose to stay with the audio — and gave the book as a must-read gift to my 15-year-old reading-monster niece who made me read "The Fault in Our Stars" last year. ( )
  NatalieSW | Aug 15, 2016 |
I enjoyed this until the twist towards the end. Had a really hard time with that part, but overall a good one. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
It was alright, I liked the story but I didn't really like the characters, and they didn't feel real to me, I liked all the music references and it's given me lots of new music to look up and listen to. It seemed to go on forever but I was determined not to give up. ( )
  blakktreacle | May 10, 2016 |
RGG: An amazing 3/4 of a novel--an intriguing first person narrator, whose tragedy and love of music intermingled with her doppelganger's history of the French Revolution is totally engrossing. The final quarter of the novel seems to suffer with the author's need to use magical realism to tie up the plot, convey a message, and have a happy ending. Suicidal behavior, high school drinking, drugs. Complex history, musical references. Reading Interest: 13-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | May 1, 2016 |
This is a great example of young adult fiction: beautifully written and thoroughly researched yet not, to borrow Patrick Ness's phrase, "an adjective novel". There is an emotional vividness and a delight in story that will speak strongly to teenagers. I hope Donnelly returns to the genre a little sooner next time.
BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, there’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnellyartfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love.
added by kthomp25 | editsummary

Jennifer Donnellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bering, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I found myself within a forest dark,

For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

Ah me! How hard a thing it is to say,

What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,

Which in the very thought renews the fear.

So bitter is it, death is little more...

- Dante

The Divine Comedy
For Daisy,

who kicked out the walls of my heart
Those who can, do.

Those who can't, deejay.
"History is a Rorschach test, people," she said. "What you see when you look at it is tells you as much about yourself as it does about the past."
Lights blink all around me for the gods of the holidays. Green and red for Santa. Blue for Judah Maccabee. White for Martha Stewart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385737637, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: Revolution, Jennifer Donnelly's remarkable new novel, weaves together the lives of Andi Alpers, a depressed modern-day teenager, and Alexandrine Paradis, a brave young woman caught up in the French Revolution. While in Paris with her estranged father, a Nobel geneticist hired to match the DNA of a heart said to belong to the last dauphin of France, Andi discovers a diary hidden within a guitar case--and so begins the story of Alexandrine, who herself had close ties to the dauphin. Redemption and the will to change are powerful themes of the novel, and music is ever present--Andi and Alex have a passion for the guitar, and the playlist running through Revolution is a who's who of classic and contemporary influences. Danger, intrigue, music, and impeccably researched history fill the pages of Revolution, as both young women learn that, "it is love, not death, that undoes us."--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

An angry, grieving seventeen-year-old musician facing expulsion from her prestigious Brooklyn private school travels to Paris to complete a school assignment and uncovers a diary written during the French revolution by a young actress attempting to help a tortured, imprisoned little boy--Louis Charles, the lost king of France.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,721,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible