The Other Countess by Eve Edwards

The Other Countess

by Eve Edwards

I really enjoyed the storyline in this book. It wasn’t that heavy on the history although the setting was well done. It was the characters that did the trick with this book and the romance. Now I’m not a romance type of reader but the romance aspect of the story was nice and sweet and went well hand in hand with the story as well.

There’s lots of chemistry between the main couple really helped this book come along. Besides Ellie and Will, the other characters were very memorable (Jane and James, Diego are great examples).

Usually with this type of historical fiction you have a nice blend of political intrigue, this story, doesn’t have that - but it’s good, because it’s not needed. However Edwards adds in the conflict between Catholics and Protestants to give it a more historical feel to it but not so overwhelming on the history lesson - which is great since this book caters to Young Adults.

Wonderful read, and with a beautiful ending. I know there’s two more books after this so I’ll be sure to pick them up. This was a great read with characters that are well done and memorable. It’s a sweet romance without it being cheesy and silly. It’s worth reading even for those who aren’t into romances like I am. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Jan 21, 2014 |
I completely adored this book. Of course, I'm a sucker for period pieces, but, hey, this was definitely a good one, even coming on the heels of Grave Mercy. Ellie is a fantabulous, feisty girl. She is well-educated and doesn't conform to society's expectations of her. If someone tries to take advantage of her or lie to her, she calls them out on it and defends herself. Love her.

Her dad is seriously frustrating. If I were her, I would have left him behind ages ago if possible. She feels a loyalty to him, even though he's always neglected her for his alchemy. On the one hand, I do admire her for this, but it's also sad because she's so strong and commanding when dealing with other men but so weak to her father. No one can mess you up like your parents!

Books like this you don't really read for the plot. Obviously, it's about romance and you pretty much know what essentially is going to happen from the opening pages. However, that's no problem if the journey is a good one. And, oh my, but it is. I loved that Edwards added in some serious historical elements, like the religious persecution in Elizabethan England. Plus, I totally dig the Shakespearean flair the romantic shenanigans have.

The story also follows, although slightly less frequently, Lady Jane. Based on her introduction, which has her falling prey to the seduction of an obvious rake, I expected to loathe her. However, I came to like her too. She's no Ellie, of course, but beneath her exterior, she's just a person longing to be loved like the rest of us. Besides, it's no wonder she has become so cold on the surface with everyone after her money and only her awful brother for company.

Apparently, the next book, The Queen's Lady, will continue on with her story. Thank goodness for that, because I was really disappointed not to read her happy ending! Moving on to book two posthaste! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
The Lady Eleanor Rodriguez of San Jaime, otherwise known as Ellie Hutton is the daughter of an alchemist. An Alchemist who has run through money from many people trying to perfect his science. The last time she came across the Earl of Dorset, William Lacey, he was throwing them out of his house for having squandered all of his father's money. Now they meet at Elizabeth's court, William is looking for a rich wife to restore his fortune and she's looking to survive.

It's an interesting story with a lot of historical details but sometimes drags and is a little predictable. Still I enjoyed the read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 8, 2012 |
"Duty. Passion. Which one will rule their hearts?

Ellie – Lady Eleanor Rodriguez, Countess of San Jaime – possesses a worthless title, but her feisty spirit captivates the elite of Queen Elizabeth’s court – especially the dashing new Earl of Dorset.

William Lacey, Earl of Dorset, has inherited his father’s title – and his financial ruin. Now Will must seek a wealthy bride and restore his family’s fortune. If only he hadn’t fallen for the beautiful but penniless Ellie…

Sparks fly whenever Ellie and Will are together; however, circumstances – and the conniving interference of others – threaten to keep them apart.

Every twenty-first century book love will fall in love with The Other Countess, the first novel in Eve Edward’s sumptuous historical romance series set in intrigue-filled Elizabethan England."

As you may have read in previous posts, I love historical romance. So it was no surprise that I chose to review this book. But after I started to read this, I felt like I was stealing away a book and review that was maybe also meant for Bibliojunkie Bel since she enjoys historical fiction so much. The Other Countess ended up being a perfect blend of historical romance AND historical fiction. Eve Edward’s has very obviously done the research to make this historical romance historically accurate in every way she possibly could. She includes everything in this book that we associate with the Elizabethan time period – the Queen’s court, jousts, banquets, ridiculously uncomfortable clothing, loveless marriages, etc.

This ended up being much more than just the Lord and Lady falling in love. There was plenty of intrigue and a number of bad guys all with different agendas. Ellie was a wonderfully strong and saucy female character that even with her strength became a victim of her era on more than one occasion. I appreciated that the author did not make it all rainbows for her. And Will….well Will is great too. Your typical Lord that struggles with making life decisions based on his family needs or his personal desires. And of course Will is hot and says beautiful flowery words that a boy would never say this day and age; at least not believably.

The secondary characters in this book are also strong and surprisingly multi-dimensional. The only thing I found strange was the attention put on Lady Jane’s maid, Nell. Her story seemed to have nothing to do with the others. I can only conclude that she will play a bigger role in The Queen’s Lady which will be released in 2012.

All in all, this was a great read. If you enjoy historical romance and/or historical fiction, I can’t recommend it enough.

~Nat

www.bibliojunkies.blogspot.com ( )
  bibliojunkies | Jan 7, 2012 |
review to come ( )
  Coranne | Dec 5, 2011 |

It's 1582 and eighteen-year-old Will Lacey's family is in trouble. After years of wasteful spending, his late father has run Lacey Hall to near ruin. Tasked with marrying his family back into fortune, the new Earl of Dorset is all set for a season at court to woo not just the Queen but potential brides with his jousting skills. But when Ellie – a strong-willed girl with nothing to her name but a worthless Spanish title – catches Will's eye, he faces a bigger battle than he could ever have anticipated.

England, 1582. Ellie - Lady Eleanor Rodriguez of San Jaime - is in possession of a gold-seeking father, a worthless title and a feisty spirit that captivates the elite of the Queen's court, and none other than the handsome new Earl of Dorset... William Lacey has inherited his father's title and his financial ruin. Now the Earl must seek a wealthy heiress and restore his family's fortune. But Will's head has been turned by the gorgeous Ellie, yet their union can never be. Will is destined to marry a worthy Lady so the only question is - which one?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible