The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

The Healer's Apprentice (edition 2010)

by Melanie Dickerson

212None54,690 (3.59)5
Member:booksandwine
Title:The Healer's Apprentice
Authors:Melanie Dickerson
Info:Zondervan (2010), Paperback, 272 pages

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

This is a historical, Christian retelling of Sleeping Beauty. Rose has been apprencticed to the healer at Hagenheim Castle, and Rose knows how lucky a woodcutter's daugher like her is to have such a place. Rose tries hard to live up to the expectations on her, but dealing with blood makes her sick. The duke's sons have returned from the university, and the elder, Lord Hamlin has been betrothed his whole life, but his fiance has been hidden away to keep her safe. Rose is attracted to him, but knows she can never be with him. The younger son, Lord Rupert, is interested in Rose, but now she is caught between the two. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 8, 2014 |
Rose, a woodcutter's daughter, is fortunate enough to have been apprenticed to the town healer, meaning that she won't be forced to marry just to secure her station in life. When she catches the eye of the duke's sons, her life starts to get extremely complicated. Wilhelm, the older son, is betrothed to a woman he has never met, and has spent years hunting the sorcerer who threatens her safety -- but he can't deny his feelings for Rose. Rupert, the younger son, romances Rose with flowers and jewelry and sweet words, but his love for wealth means that he will need to either marry a rich woman, or take a lucrative position in the church. Will Rose find happiness with either of the two?

I picked this up because I read a favorable review of one of the author's other inspirational fairy tale retellings, and I decided to start with this one because it was the first. The story, very loosely based on Sleeping Beauty, is pleasant enough, and the author ably incorporates her research on life in the middle ages into the book. There are occasionally places where the characters do or say something that seems a bit modern for their time, but those instances are the exception rather than the rule. My main issue with the book was that I found the plot entirely predictable, and not in a good fairy-tale-retelling way. There's a twist at the end, and I saw it coming from a few chapters in. Even the characters saw it coming, but dismissed it for one reason or another. It seemed entirely too obvious, so I kept reading, thinking that perhaps the author would twist it a different way at the last moment and surprise me . . . but she didn't. Also, the main character has a dog named Wolfie, and for some inexplicable reason, that minor detail irked me all the way through. Wolfie. I just can't. (I do give the author credit for not hurting the dog, though -- I always read books where the main character has a close animal companion with a looming sense of dread!) All in all, I think this is the sort of book that I would have enjoyed as a teen, back when I was less picky and read a lot more inspirational fiction. As it was, I found it just okay, and wouldn't recommend it unless the mashup of inspirational fiction and fairy tale really, really appeals to you. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 5, 2014 |
This was an innocuous and somewhat boring version of Sleeping Beauty. It should be noted that it was very loosely based on the fairytale. The relationships between the characters all felt very contrived, and I mainly finished it to see who had cursed "Sleeping Beauty," since the story was different from the original. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 18, 2014 |
Setting this aside for now. It's too slow moving. I can't seem to get into it.

I may pick it back up again later.
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
This was interesting - I was a bit confused about characters' identities in the first few pages, and then I caught on. I knew from the publisher that this would be Christian - and I liked that it wasn't preachy or fundamentalist. I'm a clergy woman, so I read religion pretty much most of the time. But, I felt like I was reading two different stories, especially when the plot twists twisted a bit more. Maybe when I'm not so tired or stressed I'll return to this book with fresh eyes. And for once, a cover with the WHOLE woman/girl in the picture, not a bodice. ( )
  ELEkstrom | Jun 6, 2013 |

Two Hearts. One Hope. Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable. Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her---a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill. When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:16 -0400)

In this story loosely based on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale, seventeen-year-old Rose, a healer's apprentice, falls in love with the betrothed Lord Hamlin, who is seeking the sorcerer who cursed his future bride.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible