Day of War (Lion of War Series) by Cliff…

Day of War (Lion of War Series) (edition 2011)

by Cliff Graham

Member:nandane
Title:Day of War (Lion of War Series)
Authors:Cliff Graham
Info:Zondervan (2011), Paperback, 368 pages

Day of War by Cliff Graham

So, I'm not a fan of war stories. Not movies, not novels, not even the news. I know war happens. I know in a general way what goes on, but I don't like to hear more about it than I need to. I read this novel because I know and respect the author. It would be most flattering to him to say that this novel completely changed my mind about war stories, but that's not the case (sorry Cliff).

I was, however, very impressed with the novel as an example of historical fiction. In every chapter you could see evidence of the meticulous research that went into the tale, from the food they ate to the armor they wore, right down to their opinions about women. The story holds faithful to the accounts in the Hebrew scriptures, embracing the scant details provided there and elaborating on them in a way that makes you think, "yes, it really could have happened like that." The characters come alive and draw you in so that you are there with them, hoping and suffering and celebrating.

The story manages to incorporate the aspects of religion without sounding preachy, which strikes me as a very difficult task when your source material comes directly from the Bible, but it is handled in a delicate, even fascinating manner that should allow readers to either take side with David, strongly believing that this Covering is the answer that will win the day, or take the side of Benaiah, who isn't quite sure whether to believe this isn't all just wishful thinking.

The single most startling moment in the entire book, from my perspective, was when Keth's Hebrew name is revealed. My heart breaks a little, even so early in the tale, to realize what his final fate will be. Very cleverly done.

The final, somewhat unexpected thing I appreciated about this novel was the love the author obviously has for the subject. Historically, religiously, and even personally. I do not know his family, but from the way the tale is written, I almost feel like I can sense the author's love for that family in the telling of it. Passion like that cannot, in my experience, be simulated.

I will be recommending this book to a lot of my male friends, who will appreciate the story AND the testosterone that practically oozes from every paragraph. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
an amazing story that every action reader and Bible reader needs to take a look at; can't wait for the remaining books ( )
  longhorndaniel | May 29, 2013 |
This fictional account of the days of King David of Israel before he became King. It follows David and his army as they battle the Philistines, and is written mainly from the viewpoint of Benaiah, one of his warriors. Gritty, violent and at times gory, this isn't a book for the faint hearted. But if you want a Biblically based novel that is full of action, then this one might be for you.
This book is slated to be made into a movie soon, and I think it could be on the level of the movie 300 if done well. ( )
  HerrellFam | Oct 7, 2012 |
EXCELLENT!! One of the best historical fiction books and by far the best Christian Book I have read. I can't wait for the other 5. This book is 300 with inferior weapons, but the power of God for determination and retribution. Will definitively make you want God on your side everyday in your "Day of War". ( )
  cwflatt | Mar 26, 2012 |
The first in the Lion of War Series this one will have you hooked from the first page. New hero's are born from an old story. For the first time in epic proportions the story of David and his mighty men is brought to life in such a fashion that one can not help but to desire to be as heroic as these men.

I can't wait for my sons to be old enough to delve into this gripping story of war and honor, of struggle and victory. David's Mighty men are brought to life and their story is highlighted within the pages of this book.

Very masculine in it's themes it is still an enjoyable read for women. In fact I read it purely out of a curiosity of this biblical fiction piece. My question being - Could anyone truly do justice to the untold and often overlooked impact that these trusted men of David had on the course of history. My answer - ABSOLUTELY. Cliff Graham has done an exceedingly good job.

In each page the reader can feel the tension of the political climate and the cost of the sacrificial lifestyle of these men. They fought alongside and under the leadership of one of the greatest kings in history. Come along for a very personal journey into their lives and discover for yourself the magnitude of their service and impact on history as we know it.

Thank you Zondervan for this review copy. ( )
  Adayriddle | Jun 21, 2011 |

In ancient Israel, at the crossroads of the great trading routes, a man named Benaiah is searching for a fresh start and joins a band of soliders led by a warlord named David. Some are loyal to David, but others are only with him for the promise of captured wealth. Over the course of ten days, from snowy mountain passes to sword-wracked battlefields, Benaiah and his fellow mercenaries must call upon every skill they have to survive and establish the throne for David--if they don't kill each other first.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible