The extra large medium by Helen Slavin

The extra large medium (edition 2007)

by Helen Slavin (Author)

71None167,761 (3.29)12
Member:wyvernfriend
Title:The extra large medium
Authors:Helen Slavin (Author)
Info:London : Pocket, 2007.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, read, 2009, december, library, nb, ghosts, medium

The Extra Large Medium by Helen Slavin

An early book by Helen Slavin with an interesting idea but not quite believable characters.I found the multiple first person style a little confusing but I still enjoyed the book and will look for more by the same author. ( )
  oldstick | Nov 5, 2010 |
Annie has always been able to see the dead, all wearing chocolate brown, but when her husband goes missing, and doesn't come to visit her life starts to unravel.

An interesting read, with some humour, but the author seems to have lost steam near the end and the end is a little disappointing and I found it unsatisfying. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 9, 2009 |
This book was disappointing and not really what I was expecting.

Annie Colville has always been able to see ghosts, always dressed in chocolate brown and always wanting her help with their unfinished business. When her husband Evan disappears she waits for a visit from him and wonders if his absence means he is still alive.

The blurb on the back asks a lot of other questions that don't seem to get answered and the book was weird and dull. I stopped caring where Evan was, wasn't bothered by who Annie's father might be, couldn't get fond of Annie despite the whole world seeming to fall in love with her in the book.

And although I finished this book I have no idea how the ending happened or why. I went back and read it over but it still didn't really click for me.

The style of the story struck me as being like Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, especially in that Annie refered to her parents as My Mother and My Father throughout the book (like Winterson's references to Next Door). I was expecting something more American so this was a bit unsettling for me at first.

I had been very much looking forward to receiving this book and reading it but am disappointed and not inclined to look out for this author again. ( )
  Jodyreadseverything | Apr 21, 2008 |
Not a bad read, but a little confusing and disappointing toward the end. ( )
  plumdream | Feb 4, 2008 |
I love the idea that dead people wear chocolate-brown clothes! Annie was an interesting character and the twist about her husband was quite a shock.
  saucyhp | Aug 17, 2007 |

In this delightful debut novel, Helen Slavin takes the ghost story into a new dimension. Ever since she was a child, Annie Colville has been talking to the dead. She knows they’re dead because for some reason they’re always dressed in chocolate brown. But Annie’s grown up now, and things are getting serious. Especially after she falls for and marries Evan Bees. It’s hard enough to lose someone you love; but what if you know they could come back to you? And they just . . . don’t? During her long wait for her missing husband to come back to her, in chocolate brown or not, Annie searches through her mother’s vast collection of lovers for the other missing man in her life — her father — and struggles with the questions her gift asks of her. Quirky, irreverent, moving and a little bit spooky, The Extra Large Medium will charm you completely — even as it’s raising the hairs on the back of your neck.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:28 -0400)

Annie Colville talks to the people who wear chocolate brown. They come to her to tell of the lost key behind the sofa, the Crown Derby coffee sets, the clematis that needs a good prune. Annie Colville has long since learned that death does not a philosopher of Auntie Mabel make.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible