Bridge of Clay

Bridge of Clay (2018)

Upon their father's return, the five Dunbar boys, who have raised themselves since their mother's death, begin to learn family secrets, including that of fourth brother Clay, who will build a bridge for complex reasons, including his own redemption.
Member:devon_snedden
Title:Bridge of Clay
Authors:
Info:Pan Macmillan Australia

Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak (2018)

English (39)  Dutch (2)  All languages (41)
Oh dear. I’d been looking forward to this one but I’ve given up after less than 30 pages as I don’t have a clue what’s going on. And I don’t care. This writing style really irritated me and as 2019 is going to be my “Year of reading only what I want to”, it appears I’ve started early. ( )
  Mercef | Jul 3, 2020 |
The story follows 2 timelines, one following the main characters parents growing, eventually meeting, falling in love, and having children. The latter follows the main character himself building a bridge. This truely is a vibriant complex story about family love, greif, and determination. Also theres a sassy donkey called Achillies for good measure.

Only slightly jaring note is it's set in australia which pulls me out of the story freqently as I live in the northern hemisphere, and thus find the phrase "As the summer reaches it's hottest in January" confusing for a moment before remembering its set in the southern hemisphere. ( )
  Jess_Mackin | Jun 19, 2020 |
Astonishing. Don't know how many times I cried reading this. So beautifully written. ( )
  Georgina_Watson | Jun 14, 2020 |
You cannot compare this to the Book Thief. For me it is a worthwhile albeit slow read; the constant flitting between past and present was intensely irritating. ( )
  neal_ | Apr 10, 2020 |
An amazing book, heart wrenching and propelled onward forward and backward in time to weave an unforgettable story of love, loss, humanity and eternity. Zusak and his unique writing style lay down a densely layered narrative, and as in the Classics that are part of the story, this tale is not written in a linear fashion. So much grief and loss and always the basic battleground of humankind, our struggle with mortality. ( )
  Jeanene_KP | Apr 6, 2020 |
Delayed gratification, in fact, is quite typical of Bridge of Clay, which on occasion falls into place in spectacular style and effect, bringing Zusak’s masterly skill for characterisation to the fore. Sometimes tedious, at other times masterful, this isn’t a novel destined for the success that met The Book Thief, though, if you have the patience, it’s worth sticking around for.
added by SimoneA | editThe Irish Times, Sean Hewitt (Oct 13, 2018)

But if The Book Thief was a novel that allowed Death to steal the show, its slightly chaotic, overlong, though brilliantly illuminated follow-up is affirmatively full of life.
added by SimoneA | editThe Guardian, Alfred Hickling (Oct 11, 2018)

There’s much to love about this capacious novel, but there’s also so much. In addition to its obvious symbolic weight, the story feels freighted with those two decades of rewriting and revising.

For Scout, Kid, and Little Small, for Cate, and in loving memory of K.E.: a great lover of language
In the beginning there was one murderer, one mule and one boy, but this isn't the beginning, it's before it, and it's me, and I'm Matthew, and here I am, in the kitchen, in the night -- the old river mouth of light -- and I'm punching and punching away.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,782,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible