Awakened (House of Night) by P. C. Cast

Awakened (House of Night) (edition 2011)

by P. C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Title:Awakened (House of Night)
Authors:P. C. Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages

Awakened by P. C. Cast

English (61)  German (1)  All languages (62)
I give up on this series. The whole series keeps making one big loop over and over and over and I am done with it. I can't stand the unrealistic way the teens talk and act sometimes and I am over it. I am usually more friendly in my negative reviews but I have invested so much emotion into this series I am sad to go out like this. The first six or so books were absolutely amazing....so read up until there. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This will be a terrible review, but I need to get this off my chest. I'll start with the good news. If you've read and enjoyed the previous House Of Night books, you will like this one. All bad aside, the story is still pretty good. I don't understand the Zoey-Stark dynamic, because it was kind of instant and I have a low tolerance for sappy. I think that Stevie Rae and Rephaim have a legitimate dilemma, and that story is one worth following through. There is a lot that happens in this book, and even though most of it was fairly easy to predict -- no thanks to the foreboding -- it did set the stage for exciting things to come.

What I initially liked about this series was its Native American influence and how it incorporated that and other lore into the storyline. Now I feel that the authors are pulling from too many mythologies, trying to manipulate everything so that it serves the story. I think when done right, that can give a story more depth, but it can also be a distraction to have so much deviation and embellishment. What 'Awakened' suffers from and what I fear will become a trend in the series, is being too much of not enough; the important parts of this book could have been summed up in a few chapters, everything else feels superfluous.

The same issues are present in this book as with every House Of Night book before it; the abuse of pop-culture references, the language and utter disregard for decent grammar, and the apparent lack of proofreading and/or editing.

Off the top, I remember several references to 'Glee,' 'True Blood,' and the iPhone 4, and that's not all of it. The issue here -- beside the fact that its f_cking annoying -- is continuity. None of these shows or gadgets were around when the first book of the series was published, some are even newer than the last book. The story so far has covered a timeline of less than two years and most of the books pick up right where it's predecessor left off, so it makes no sense for Stevie Rae to have a regular iPhone at the end of the last book and an iPhone 4 at the beginning of this one, with only a few weeks having passed.

Some things are so date-specific I have to wonder whether they left gaps in paragraphs like ""[insert current billboard chart topper here]"" and ""[insert name of really popular show here]"" to be filled in right before the book goes into production. If you're new to the series and read them all in close succession, which I did for the first six books, the flaws with this method of pop-culture bombardment will stand out, especially in the earlier books, because those ""flavor of the month"" references are now outdated.

As far as the writing, the language and grammar is a mess and the narration is inconsistent. There were misspellings, which are forgivable, but only to an extent. The characters talk like either really old people or really little kids trying to mimic how teenagers speak and frankly, they sound stupid. It is possible that the things I'm reading as mistakes are actually intentional -- like on the last page when Stark asks Zoey ""what it is?"" -- but, that would be considerably worse. Zoey says ""boolpoopie"" -- what the f_ck? --Aphrodite uses profanity, but her vocabulary seems to be limited to the phrase ""for sh_t's sake,"" and Stevie Ray apparently has multiple personality disorder, because she flips between saying actual cuss words and using placeholders like ""B"" instead of ""b_tch."" If you read the dialogue parts aloud, you will be mortified.

The story alternates perspective, which is fine, but only Zoey's narrative is first-person. It's really... uncomfortable to read. It doesn't really serve a purpose to me, other than highlighting that she is the central character.

There are a few other things, as an ethnic reader, I have problems with. One of the two black characters, Kramisha, is completely a ghetto-black-person stereotype who doesn't speak good English and apparently wears multi-colored wigs. I realize the authors are from Oklahoma, and I'm sure the black population out there is like 5%, but it's terrible that they can only seem to portray black characters as ignorant clichés. I'm not one of those black panther type of black people who think ""the man"" is always out to get us, but I recognize the lack of black fictional characters that can serve as role-models and I think books that target a young audience should not alienate some of the people who would potentially be reading it. The plus side is that there are openly gay characters who are accepted -- though those characters are also stereotypes.

Sidenote: The Vampire Diaries novels have similar issues. Because the first four were published in the early-to-mid-90s and the most recent two (or three) were published in the last few years, there is a lack of consistency. In the original books they didn't have cellphones, but in the newer books, they're texting and using their computers to video chat even though it takes place immediately where the last of the original books left off. The newer books also suffer from too many mythological influences and the story is nonsensical. ( )
  rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |
2.5 stars

The latter half sort of made up for the suckiness of the rest. I'm really tired of the repeating plot lines and Neferet's predictable, evil behavior (can we have another villian please!?). It doesn't seem feasible to me that she can fool ALL those people.

The ending was good though. After investing 8 books into this series, I do feel like I will read the next book. (and the fact that I already own the next few books lol). ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
A primeira estrelinha diz "Did not like it" e bom... que posso eu dizer? Não gostei! Não gostei nada! Citando a nossa "querida", "brilhante" e "espectacular" personagem principal: "Isto é tudo uma cambada de cocó tão grande que nem sei para onde me virar." Like, seriously... quase desmaio a ler esta "história" tão previsível e triste. A esperança, porém, é a última a morrer... e uma grande amiga garante-me que a "história" vai melhorar. A ver vamos... próximo volume comigo para despachar isto de vez! ( )
  SaraVieira | May 5, 2015 |
I will never be able to listen to Defying Gravity again without tears!

Overall I enjoyed the book even though it seemed a bit long winded at times. I am very interested to see what develops in the next book. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kristin and I would like to dedicate this book to LGBT teens.Gender preference does not define you.Your spirit defines you.It gets better.We heart you.No matter what “they” say, life is really about love, always love.
A disquieting sense of irritation awakened Neferet.

Zoey has returned from the Otherworld to her rightful place as High Priestess at the House of Night. Her friends are just glad to have her back, but after losing her human consort, Heath, will Zoey--or her relationship with her super-hot Warrior, Stark--ever be the same?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible