Awakened (House of Night) by P. C. Cast

Awakened (House of Night) (edition 2011)

by P. C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Member:bsktcase10
Title:Awakened (House of Night)
Authors:P. C. Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*

Awakened by P. C. Cast

English (68)  German (1)  English (69)
Much better than the last 2 books. Still waiting for the big battle that never freakin happens though. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
To tell you the truth the beginning isn't very encouraging. The series is missing something it had before. I really didn't like the book! The conversations were silly *Spoilers* though Jack's death saddened me, it didn't shake my world. I failed to see Nefert's evilness, I actually wanted her to kill the whole cast!! I hate that Aphrodite had a very small part in the book, I missed her visions. I feel that the series is concentrating on silly teenage love, and they left the whole good stuff out. The whole "Love will Save the World" is so dumb! Zoey's mom's death was sad as well, but Heath's rebirth was sadder!! He just won't die!! You get from this that he is "The One" for Zoey, not Stark or Erik!! I felt that the Cast team is very influenced by the TV show "True Blood", the whole bull ard rebirth and the evil "Shadows within Shadows" woman, is so True Blood-ish.

Could the Cast team just warp the series up!? It's dying! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Zoey is taking a holiday to avoids all the drama and sad things that have afflicted everyone (but which makes her super sad because she’s so special). The bad guys are not respecting her wish for a happy holiday so Zoey will eventually have to get back into the action

Meanwhile the redemption of Rephraim continues, because what’s a little murder when you’ve decided a guy is going to be your freaky birdy love interest?

Zoey spends a lot of this book hanging out on the Isle of Skye-author-isn’t-quite-sure-about-the-difference-between-Ireland-and-Scotland-but-likes-guys-in-kilts (Scotland doesn’t use Euros) deciding she wants to take a time out because it’s all so sad and hard and everyone else tries to think of ways to get her back into the action. Also I’ve been to the Isle of Skye – it’s not just a made up place but the author has just overlaid the whole island and made it vampire world.

Y’know I’d be sympathetic – but the shit she’s been through is not any deeper or smellier than what everyone else has been through (hey, remember Dragon mourning his wife of several centuries? Or Aphrodite changing species? Or Stevie-Rae and the Fledglings dying and coming back? Remember any of this?) and none of them had their soul shattered and then decided to take a prolonged island holiday. This follows book after book after book of everyone worshipping Zoey and centring her grief to the complete exclusion of everyone else’s. Stark’s death? All about Zoey. Stevie-Rae’s death? All about Zoey. Heath’s death? All about Zoey. Has anyone even told Heath’s parents yet? Anyone? Having an all-about-Zoey holiday so she can be all schmoopy with Stark the Redeemed Rapist and have a whole new set of vampires declare how super duper awesome she is just causes migraines.

And that’s ignoring the multiple prophecies all saying that if she doesn’t get her arse back into gear then the whole world is going to fall apart. No, screw prophecies, that is with her KNOWING Neferet is out there doing terribad awful things, but hey time out holiday time because precious Zoey!

Let’s hit another annoying element (and there are so many!): Rephaim’s redemption storyline – in fact, no, cut that. This isn’t a redemption storyline. Redemption storylines suggest some level of trying to make amends for the shit you’ve pulled. Redemption storylines mean actually working to earn forgiveness and being a better person. Wave the woo-woo of Nyxness and suddenly declaring yourself team good guy is not a redemption storyline.

Yet that’s basically what Rephaim does. As we all saw coming (with the inevitability of a train racing towards us while we’re tied to the tracks), Rephaim loves Stevie Rae (and she has a thing for bird guys) and that means all is good! Nyx even totally comes to seal the deal!

And, no, angst is NOT Redemption. Whining away that you’re a monster is self-absorbed self-pity, not redemption.

If I were the Dragon I wouldn’t forgive this bullshit either – “you’re sorry and have to have downtime when your girlfriend’s asleep anyway? Totally makes up for murdering my wife!”

(Oh and a side point on his - Rephaim continually beats himself up as a monster, as a "child of rape" - there is actually more shaming and attacking of Rephaim for being conceived through rape than there is of Kalona and Stark, actual rapists).

This is another really nasty problem House of Night series has – not just speeding people down the Redemption lines at a great rate of knots, but we also have this cult of forgiveness. These people (no, not people – men and I’ll come back to that as well) do terrible things and suddenly BING REDEMPTION and everyone is now expected to forgive them. Their misdeeds totally forgotten. The fact that Dragon doesn’t want to forgive Rephaim, the man who killed his wife, just days after she died (seriously, the ashes can’t even be scattered yet!) and doesn’t want Rephaim around him is seen as Dragon’s failing rather than completely natural. But we’ve seen the same thing with Stark before as well – absolutely no-one brings up his Red-Fledgling Rapist days and his victim has been thoroughly demonised.

Which makes me fear that we’re also looming closer to the biggie – the redemption of Kalona! Because he’s super duper sad (though can we shred hi “motivation” – he turned evil because Nyx friend-zoned him. Nyx wasn’t into you, she already had a guy Kalona, deal with it) and Neferet is being so very very mean to him and she’s the real bad guy! And look, he even let Rephaim switch sides! I shudder, but the more Neferet is demonised and the more we seem to be cutting Kalona some slack the more I can see this happening.

Because that is what this series wants – a female villain. Nothing about how Neferet is written suggests the slightest attempt at a redemption storyline for her. No way. She is evil evil evil through and through, embracing the darkness, kicking puppies and generally being universally awful. She’s also sexual and gets naked a lot because SEXY WOMAN IS EVIL IT IS KNOWN!

I’m going to have another rant about Nyx here – because she appears again and strongly hints to everyone that Neferet is totally not good. Y’know she could have done this several books ago or done it in front of the High Council or in front of any of the vampires who still think Neferet is a good guy – but nooooo. So she appears, tells everyone that Neferet isn’t all good, but mainly focuses on ramming forgiveness down Dragon’s throat. When she’s gone Neferet just mind controls everyone into believing her again with DARKNESS POWERS and Nyx does…. Nothing. Of course she does nothing. This series needs to make up its mind. Either Nyx decides free will means she can’t get involved at all – in which case she needs to stop throwing out prophecies and random appearances and squelching stomach cramps of guidance. OR she is an involved deity actively guiding, supporting and helping her supplicants – in which case she needs to get up a little earlier in the morning and getting her lazy deity arse in gear.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 21, 2016 |
This was just so awesome. So many crazy things happened. Can't wait to start reading Destined!! ( )
  KylieM_PirateQueen | Jan 16, 2016 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cast, KristinAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kristin and I would like to dedicate this book to LGBT teens.Gender preference does not define you.Your spirit defines you.It gets better.We heart you.No matter what “they” say, life is really about love, always love.
A disquieting sense of irritation awakened Neferet.

Zoey has returned from the Otherworld to her rightful place as High Priestess at the House of Night. Her friends are just glad to have her back, but after losing her human consort, Heath, will Zoey--or her relationship with her super-hot Warrior, Stark--ever be the same?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible