Awakened (House of Night, Book 8) by P. C.…

Awakened (House of Night, Book 8) (edition 2011)

by P. C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Member:Corvidae
Title:Awakened (House of Night, Book 8)
Authors:P. C. Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 290 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fction, series, fantasy, young adult, urban fantasy, vampires

Awakened by P. C. Cast

This book was a little bit darker than the previous books. Zoey and Stark decide to stay on the island of Skye for a while until news of Jack's death reaches them from Stevie Rae, who has become the high priestess of the House of Night. Things are becoming serious with Stevie Rae and Rephaim, and we find out Kalona is not really bound. Sadly, at Jack's funeral pyre, Neferat starts trouble and all seems lost until Nyx shows up. She forgives Rephaim and allows him to become human at night. Once Nyx leaves Nepherat twists what she said to her advantage and Zoey and the gang leave for the tunnels.

I was a little bit disappointed by the fact that Zoey excused away Stark's abusive behavior in bed right at the end of the book, even though I am going to assume that it was Kalona controlling him. I am not a huge fan of Stark's character in general because I do not buy into the whole 'I was dark and it wasn't my fault' at the same time as 'I am that person I just have to choose to be good' he tried to rape that Becca girl, he probably raped other girls, and even though it was probably not him this time, it fits his character.

I did feel bad, however at the ending where Zoey finds out he mother is dead. It was such a bitter ending to that story line, that Linda would just be coming around (even if it is just because she caught him, and not because of the way he treated her children) and she goes and dies. That being said I am really glad it was Linda and not the grandmother!
It was also a little darker because of the random bestiality that showed up there at the end. I'm not talking about Stevie Rae. What was with that White Bull sex scene? Nope. Just nope. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
I just finished reading Awakened. Awakened is the eighth book in the House Of Night series. It is written by P.C. and Kristin Cast. Book eight is about Zoey and Stark returning from the Otherworld after restoring Zoey's soul. They also return to Oklahoma to face some hard news.

I love this series. It has to be one of my favorite series hands down. This is the second time I've read Awakened. I'm glad I took the time to read it a second time. There was so many things I overlooked the first time. Now things that were confusing me make sense to me now.

The only thing I didn't like is what I haven't liked since they started writing the book in more than one perspective. I don't like the third person format they use. I think they should keep it consistently at first person. They put the name at the beginning so the person knows who it is. It just seems rather redundant to repeat their name when it can just say “I”. That's just my opinion though.

I fully recommend this to any person who is into vampire series. It is targeted at a young adult audience. I feel that anybody who is into the genre will like it though. I will warn you though. It is a very addicting series. At least it was for me. ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Mar 1, 2014 |
When tragedy strikes at Tulsa's House of Night, Zoey and Heath are called to return from the Otherworld. Zoey must fulfill her high priestess duties and support her friends. Neferet is still villainous as ever in her quest to become immortal, and will sacrifice anyone to achieve her goal. Stevie Ray is dealing with the repercussions of being bonded with a Raven Mocker. Can Zoey and her friends stop Neferet and Kalona from achieving their evil plans?

The 8th installment of the House of Night brings the usual twists and turns you come to expect with this series. There is the epic battle between good and evil presented along with tales of love and heartache.

This book continues the author's trend of multiple narrations. Several characters, including Zoey, Neferet, Stevie Ray, Kalona and Rephaim, narrate this installment. I like this story telling device for this series, and find the change from Zoey's narration to be interesting. Zoey and Stevie Ray have some quirks with their dialogue and pop culture references and it is nice to take a break from them now and then.

This is the first book of the series that I have listened to in audio format. The reader does a good job with the dialects including Stevie Ray's and Zoey's. Her Irish dialect made me chuckle, but that could be in part from the character's dialogue as well.

The book starts out rather slow and it takes awhile for the action to kick in. Once you are past the halfway point, there are surprises and reveals to keep the story entertaining. The book ends with a bang and hints of things to come with the next book.

Although I think this series has gone on way too long, and I am not as invested in vampire series as I once was, I still continue to pick up these books. I suppose it is because I have invested the time into the series and want to see it through to its conclusion. This installment is book 8 of 12 planned books. The first few are the best of the series, in my opinion. Recommended for fans of teen paranormal romance and vampire fans.

The next installment in the series is called Destined and it is due out November 5, 2011. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
The book opens with Zoey, Stark, Aphrodite, and Darius still on the Isle of Skye. Several factors are adamant about keeping Zoey and Stark there, from their romance to Sgiach's sudden change of perspective about keeping the Isle a secret. All through the book I get the feeling that Sgiach is not as trustworthy or pure of intention as the reader is led to believe, but I imagine that will be a subject for a future book.
Fairly early in the book, a death occurs - I won't say who - but it feels a bit like an author's attempt to cull an entirely-too-long cast list. I have felt for awhile that there were too many characters in this series to keep track of all of them in a single book, but even with the random death occurring every so often, many of the characters are almost non-existent in this book.
I really like the character Rephaim and what the authors are doing with his sub-plot. He has much potential for growth in personality and maturity, and he brings a more adult element to what often feels like a very immature series. I was thrilled with how Nyx helps him at the end, as it shows him that good has its own rewards. His presence has forced Stevie Rae to grow up and make decisions that have a great impact, too. Normally Stevie Rae can be quite annoying, but around Rephaim I like her.
Neferet is of course, beyond revolting. Everything she does makes me want to hurl the book across the room - from her posturing around Kalona and Rephaim, to her false guilt at the funeral, to her simpering over the white bull. Her character is actually my strongest clue that the authors are good at what they do. Only a well-written character can elicit the kind of strong emotion that Neferet brings out in me. They do a good job of showing how the soul-sucking darkness is driving her to madness, even to the point of always underestimating what Zoey and Nyx are capable of. I may be delusional, but I still think that Kalona can be saved from this darkness, even though it's obvious that Neferet can not. His actions seem to be driven by bitterness and a hunger for what is denied him, rather than evil for the sake of evil.
I do love that the authors found a way to continue using Heath in the plotline, as he was always so good for Zoey and probably the only "normal" person in the cast list of supernaturally-gifted beings. He likely will have a long way to go with the direction the authors are taking him, but I imagine I'll keep reading this series through to the end - whenever that is.
Many of the same problems that I had with the series early on still persist - such as sickly-sweet teenage lingo, the condensed time frame of each book, and too many characters with too little time. I find myself wondering which parts of the books are written by which author, as the writing style seems to change sporadically.
I was actually both relieved and saddened by the death at the end, first that it was not someone else dying, but also how it will affect Zoey. Beyond that, there are simply too many characters for me to be emotionally-attached to all of them. So on to the next book - Destined (House of Night Novels).
  JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
This book is far superior to the other house of Night books. The plot lines are well written, the various view points very effective (especially as now I dont have to listen exclusively to the annoyingness that is Zoe) and the characters are well developed. A word of caution though- this book will not answer any questions at all but it will raise about a million!

Zoey is back from the land of Nyx, they are all still reeling from the death of the consort and she is refusing to leave the Island of Skye. Which leaves everyone else dealing with Neferets return to the HoN with Kalona. Chaos ensues and obviously we end up back to square one with all achievements from the previous books being wiped out in one swoop

This book had some truly shocking moments. It also had very little of the twins in (BIG BONUS!). It had a lot of Stevie Rae and Rephaim (which is a lovely side story....I loved what happened in this book with these two). It had Zoe being a self-rightous whiner (again). It had Stark being amazing. It had Neferet managing to make herself look good again (ridiculous plot line....did every one get amnesia in this book?) As I said earlier nothing at all is cleared up. In fact this feels like the middle bit of a really long book!

I do have one massive issue with this book. In this series the characters have had to deal with a death of loved ones, attempts on their lives, betrayal from their peers and elders, and also transformation. The writing of these events is wonderful. The characters are also dealing with growing up (word of caution. Although it is in no way explicit there is a lot of sex in this book which
could be deemed inappropriate for younger readers) Yet the characters still talk like 9 year olds. The dialogue in this book detracts from the seriousness of these situations and makes them seem somehow less important. It is the only complaint I have about an otherwise fab book!

Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kristin and I would like to dedicate this book to LGBT teens.Gender preference does not define you.Your spirit defines you.It gets better.We heart you.No matter what “they” say, life is really about love, always love.
A disquieting sense of irritation awakened Neferet.

Zoey has returned from the Otherworld to her rightful place as High Priestess at the House of Night. Her friends are just glad to have her back, but after losing her human consort, Heath, will Zoey--or her relationship with her super-hot Warrior, Stark--ever be the same?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,215,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible