The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with…

The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with 1,000 Recipes

by illustratedcooks

Recently added byvbradford, terihuff39, alcoldwell, annieomor, MunozNY, private library, Roburritos, jadepearl

My go-to cookbook. Much more helpful than the Joy of Cooking. ( )
  mhgatti | Jan 12, 2011 |
Highly recommend for novice or experienced cook.
  Gelmont | Feb 18, 2009 |
Cook's Illustrated brings out strong reactions in cooks - it's almost love it or hate it. Theirs is a more scientific rather than artistic approach to food. I find that their methods are excellent but their seasoning often lacks finesse. And to be honest, I'd be happier with more recipes and less input about how they decided to do things a certain way. ( )
  dianaleez | Feb 18, 2009 |
I can't always afford the ingredients (let's make our meatloaf with veal!), but every single recipe I've tried from this book turned out perfectly*. The book contains the one "best" recipe for 1,000 foods. They explain the experimental process that resulted in the final recipe, so you can change things around a little if the Cook's Illustrated preference differs from yours. I'm by no means an expert cook, and I found the recipes to be very doable.

In short: absolutely worth the money.

*one time I over-caramelized (read: burnt) the vegetables I was roasting to make ratatouille. This was my fault, not the cookbook's. ( )
  jfetting | Nov 18, 2008 |
This is the best cookbook EVER! The editors of Cook's Illustrated magazine tested numerous different ways to make each recipe and explain why their ingredients, proportions and methods yield the best results. It works. We tried all our old favorites using their methods and it always came out better their way!

It's also like a cooking course in a book - there are illustrations and explanations for everything from boning a chicken to choosing the best meat thermometer.
  NLLVerrado | Jul 15, 2008 |
This LT work is the "All-New" edition, published by Editors of Cook's Illustrated in 2004. Please distinguish it from the original Cook's Illustrated The Best Recipes (1999). Thank you.

Flagship book of award-winning series with more than 1000 pages and 800 illustrations. Would you make 38 versions of creme caramel to find the absolute best version? The editors of Cook's Illustrated did. Along with 20 versions of simple recipes such as coleslaw. Now fully revised and expanded this new edition offers more than 1000 recipes for all your favourite dishes from roast chicken and macaroni cheese to creme caramel and chocolate chip cookies. There are also expanded tutorials on grilling, baking, stir frying and much more. This is the ultimate cooking resource for novice and experienced cooks alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible