Supernatural: The Unholy Cause by Joe…

Supernatural: The Unholy Cause (2010)

by Joe Schreiber

Takes place during Season 5 of the TV series.

Rufus makes a brief appearance at the beginning, pointing our boys in the right direction. When people are killed at a Civil War re-enactment with fake weapons, Sam and Dean investigate. It is during the time when Sam is suffering nightmares about Lucifer, Dean hasn’t shaken off his experiences in Hell and Castiel is searching for God.

Castiel appears, claiming to have a lead on a “first-order witness” - someone who broke bread with Christ - whom he believes will help him in his search for God. But this “witness” appears to be one of the bad guys. The original civil war soldier the first victim was pretending to be was hanged with something called the “Judas noose." Now the demons want the noose for its unholy powers - can the boys get to it first and keep it out of evil hands?

I loved seeing Castiel in this! If only he had a bit bigger part. The overall story is very well written. The descriptions of various locale were quite detailed and convincing. The plot is tight and perfectly paced - the action just keeps escalating until we have a showdown of epic proportions. The premise is original and fits in perfectly well with the SPN universe. Dean, Sam and Cas are all in-character and it ties in very well with the storyline of Season 5.

I would have liked to see a bit more inside the character’s heads - feelings, emotions, etc. I know the boys aren’t exactly “touchy-feely,” but in the privacy of their own heads? I thought that could have been fleshed out a bit more. And, as I said, I would have loved to see more of Castiel. But all in all, this was an incredibly well crafted tie-in novel that exceeded my expectations. ( )
  catfantastic | Jun 2, 2015 |
This book takes place during Season 5 (before episode 16 but at least after episode 3).

As with the prior books, you should only read this book if you have seen the television show - Supernatural. You should also read it with the mindset that this is more for entertainment purposes rather than missing episodes out of the show.

Compared to the prior books in this series, this story has lots of action and takes on a slight twist with the back story of the Civil War and Judas of Iscariot. I like how things keep moving, but as with the other books, the resolution of all the troubles in this particular town and the boys are glossed over.

Side note: This is the first book that the author correctly describes Dean's eyes. ( )
  Maria1010 | Nov 16, 2014 |
Sam and Dean have to figure out who (or what) is possessing the Civil War re-enactors of a small Georgia town to murder each other using replica weapons. This was a great book, and it was as if I were watching a well-written episode of the show. This is the third novel I've read based on the television series, and so far, it's the most spot on with the characters and plot. I was very impressed. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 28, 2013 |

Twenty-two years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. In the years after, their father, John, taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it.

Way back in April 1862, Confederate Captain Jubal Beauchamp leads a charge across a Georgia battleground…Fast forward to the present day and a civil war re-enactment becomes all too real. When Sam and Dean head down south to investigate, they discover that the past really isn't dead...

Way back in April 1862, Confederate Captain Jubal Beauchamp leads a charge across a Georgia battleground. Fast forward to 2009 and a civil war re-enactment becomes all too real. When Sam and Dean head down south to investigate they find that history has got somewhat out of hand.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,382,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible