My Single Friend by Jane Costello

My Single Friend

by Jane Costello

A more self-centred, self-absorbed girl I have never met. Lucy is the epitome of all the women who, because of their success in their chosen career, believe the world of themselves. Just think, the first thing she does in every single date is lie to the potential boyfriend. I would be first to admit that I am no love expert but even I can tell you that lying to him is not going to bode well later on in the relationship.

Remember Lucy’s second date with Paul?
He was like:

And she was like:

And I was thinking, tough luck – you deserve it for lying in the first place. Who told you to fake being a professional in hiking then go to the shop and buy all the clingy clothes to makes yourself look more attractive even after knowing that it was rated difficult and you had barely ever hiked?

This is love. If a person loves you, it won’t matter to them if you are handicapped in some way, not to mention a mere distaste in hiking. That is why so many of your dates don’t work, because you are trying to project an image you think your partner wants to see, and not just be.

I know all your friends have told you the same thing repeatedly, but I’m not going to do that. I’m going to tell you that I find it really annoying and you don’t deserve Henry – he is way too good for you. He will never obsess endlessly over his weight, or pretend to go on diets or anything like that. He can wake up every morning and think, I am satisfied with who I am, unlike you, who will pick your face apart for non-existent flaws and what, glue gum to the bottom of your heels.

I’m sorry, I know that a lot of people have read it and written positive reviews on this book, but it just didn’t work for me. I tried – I really did – I kept on reading even after thinking, it’s wasting my life, every other second, but nothing magically or miraculously happened to enthrall me, to make me want to continue reading. So, all I can say to conclude is that I wasted one day of my life reading this book and if you want to do the same, fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. ( )
  Joyce.Leung | May 24, 2013 |
Awww factor is very high on this book! Even though you know the ending right at the start of this book it's still an excellent read! Am on a mission to read all off Jane Costello's books as my sister kindly lent them to me and they are getting better and better! ( )
  Yogiboo | Apr 27, 2013 |
Adequate. Predictable rom-com with some funny moments. I would like to be more enthusiatic but ... ( )
  dieseltaylor | Feb 28, 2011 |
Well written and rather fun, but I'm not a fan of the "seeing someone in a completely different light thanks to a make-over" concept. The main character, Lucy, is okay, but the way she behaved on dates (which I'm sure was meant to be hilarious) seemed just a bit too out of character, and hit my embarrassment squick so badly I had to skim through those bits quite often. I liked the other characters, especially Lucy's parents, and even though it was obvious how the book was going to end, I still wanted to see how it would end up there. The epilogue was way too over the top and sickly sweet, though, and felt completely unnecessary. ( )
  alionora | May 2, 2010 |
For my parents, with much love
Some might say I don't need another pair of glossy black shoes with a to-die-for heel.

The beauty and the geek, Lucy and Henry have been inseperable best friends for 20 years. With his penchant for jumpers and NHS-style specs, glamorous Lucy decides that Henry is in need of a makeover - but nothing can prepare them for the surprise results! Before long, Lucy realises that their lives will never be the same again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,144,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible