Chalk by Bill Thomson

Chalk (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Bill Thomson

Member:seapuck
Title:Chalk
Authors:Bill Thomson
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Childrens Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Dinosaurs, Chalk, Wordless

Chalk by Bill Thomson (2010)

Chalk was very intriguing book to “read.” I put read in quotes because the book had no actual words. The entire story was all pictures, which I liked because the books illustrations were realistic and very visually pleasing. The book also allowed for my imagination to do the narrating of the story based on what the pictures looked like. For example, it was a rainy day and the children found chalk and then the child drew the sun and it became a sunny day. This allowed me as the reader to infer that the chalk was magical and as they continued to draw, the drawings kept coming to life. I liked the story because of the unique idea of magical chalk. It would be very cool if this chalk existed because anything that was drawn came to life, for example a girl in the story drew butterflies on the pavement and then on the next page the butterflies started flying off of the pavement. This idea of magical chalk, where everything you draw comes to life, also allows the author to get across the message of the story that you should be careful what you wish for. One child drew a dinosaur and then the dinosaur came to life and tried to attack the children and another child had to save the day by drawing a rain cloud that washed away the dinosaur drawing saving the day. ( )
  MManzo2 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Chalk is a delightful and realistic illustrated book about children using their imagination and skills to produce chalk drawing on a rainy day. I havent played with chalk in a long time, but its fun to read about and I bought some for my daughter to enjoy because in the book it reminded me of how it is to create something with your own hands.
  josephumana | Mar 16, 2015 |
Three kids in a park play with a bag of chalk. The kids begin to draw and their drawings come to life. A great way to have kids use their imagination to create a story and then have them draw illustrations on their chalkboards and share.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
This book would be great for creative fun writing prompts such as "If I had a magic piece of chalk that brought my drawings to life, I would draw...." This book also has great graphics and will keep children engaged with it's suspense. ( )
  Kc3133 | Feb 17, 2015 |
I love how realistic this book's illustrations are and the adventure theme. Everything is very life like and vibrant and beautiful. I liked that two of the young children are girls of color - this makes it one of the more diverse children's books I've seen so far. This book is delightful, it literally made me smile while I was reading it. I'd definitely give it to my kids.
  ulindsay | Feb 12, 2015 |
This book is dedicated with love to the miracles in my life . . . my wondrous sons, Billy, Nik, and Ethan

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761455264, School & Library Binding)

A rainy day. Three kids in a park. A dinosaur spring rider. A bag of chalk. The kids begin to draw. . . and then . . . magic! The children draw the sun, butterflies, and a dinosaur that amazingly come to life. Children will never feel the same about the playground after they experience this astounding wordless picture book and the power of the imagination. Bill Thomson embraced traditional painting techniques and meticulously painted each illustration by hand, using acrylic paint and colored pencils.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

A wordless picture book about three children who go to a park on a rainy day, find some chalk, and draw pictures that come to life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,233,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible