Chalk by Bill Thomson

Chalk (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Bill Thomson

Member:seapuck
Title:Chalk
Authors:Bill Thomson
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Childrens Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Dinosaurs, Chalk, Wordless

Chalk by Bill Thomson (2010)

Coming Soon...
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Summary:
Chalk by Bill Thomson is a picture book. This book is about three kids on a rainy day that go to a nearby park. The kids find a spring-rider dinosaur in the park, holding a bag of chalk in it's mouth. The kids begin to draw chalk pictures on the wet concrete, but when they do, magic happens and the pictures come to life. First they draw a sun, which suddenly appears as reality, then butterflies, then a dinosaur. The butterflies and dinosaur come to life and the dinosaur begins to chase them. The kids run towards the playground and slide down the slide. However, the dinosaur sees them. One kid then draws a rain cloud on the inside of the slide, which also comes to life, which causes the dinosaur to melt. The kids but the chalk back inside of the bag and put it back on the dinosaur spring-riders mouth. The last illustration shows the kids leaving the park and walking back home with the dinosaur spring-rider in the background.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book! It shows the imagination that children have even on rainy days. I also like this book because the kids are playing outside, which I feel that in today's society do not do enough. In Chalk, some literary elements I found were anthropomorphism and the plot. In Chalk, the dinosaur spring-rider becomes lifelike which means an animal becomes a believable "human being" which creates fantasy. For the plot, it is very interesting because the reader awaits to see what is going to happen to the dinosaur once the children draw the picture of the rain and clouds on the inside of the slide. I would use this book for younger elementary students. I think this would help students want to play outside more and also use their imaginations more.

Classroom Extensions:
I would use this book as a way to spark students' imaginations. I would first have student go outside and take a piece of colored chalk and draw something on the concrete. I would then take pictures of each students' work and print them out. Then I would give each student their picture and have them draw a picture of their chalk creation coming to life. Then we would do a classroom project. I would have my students each create a cardboard structure of what they drew. Then we would put each creation on display. I would then have students create a creative writing story based on their original chalk drawing. They would then present their cardboard creation and read their creative writing assignment aloud to the class. ( )
  thejennalane | Sep 11, 2016 |
Chalk is a wordless picture book that shows children's imaginations come to life. Three children walking home from school on a rainy day find some chalk and as they each draw something on the concrete, it comes to life. This is a great book to have young children make their own interpretations of the book as they look through it coming up with their own stories and even words. I would use this book for several activities in my classroom in order to have children make predictions and come up with their own words of the book. ( )
  Ashley.Setzekorn | Sep 9, 2016 |
Maybe 3.5 stars. The idea and the paintings were wonderful. But why did the characters have to make stereo-typical choices of what to draw, and why did the boy have to be the one to fix things?

ETA: It has been brought to my attention that the boy was not necessarily more clever, but just lucky - after all, hew wasn't clever enough to draw a safer thing in the first place. And it was interesting that different ethnic groups were represented among the three children. Still, it's not always boys who make adventurous & impulsive choices, and in Thomson's next book it'd be great to see that idea reflected. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Cute book that plays around with how we create our world-careful what you wish for!

I would use this book with young readers and have them create the text for the pictures.
  kristiewray | Apr 9, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to the miracles in my life . . . my wondrous sons, Billy, Nik, and Ethan

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761455264, School & Library Binding)

A rainy day. Three kids in a park. A dinosaur spring rider. A bag of chalk. The kids begin to draw. . . and then . . . magic! The children draw the sun, butterflies, and a dinosaur that amazingly come to life. Children will never feel the same about the playground after they experience this astounding wordless picture book and the power of the imagination. Bill Thomson embraced traditional painting techniques and meticulously painted each illustration by hand, using acrylic paint and colored pencils.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

A wordless picture book about three children who go to a park on a rainy day, find some chalk, and draw pictures that come to life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,187,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible