Chalk by Bill Thomson

Chalk (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Bill Thomson

Member:seapuck
Title:Chalk
Authors:Bill Thomson
Info:Amazon Children's Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Childrens Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:Dinosaurs, Chalk, Wordless

Chalk by Bill Thomson (2010)

a fun book about children playing on the playground with chalk. they use the chalk to draw a dinosaur and work a way to get the dinosaur away
1 book
  TUCC | Dec 2, 2016 |
I would recommend this book for upper age children because there are no words and you have to understand what is going on in each picture to have a good idea of what the book is trying to say. This book can be used in the classroom along with extension activities for the children after. Predictions are an important concept in the classroom and for reading comprehension, so this could also be used for that. ( )
  caitlinpw | Nov 4, 2016 |
I would suggest this wordless picture to upper grade levels such as fourth and fifth grade because there are no words and the details may be too visual for students in lower grade levels to fully comprehend.
The main characters are a group of three grade school children at the park. While at the park the children decide to draw objects with their chalk and everything they drew came to life, Including the gigantic T-rex they drew.
The genre of this book is fantasy and fiction ( )
  clarionb | Oct 19, 2016 |
Coming Soon...
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Summary:
Chalk by Bill Thomson is a picture book. This book is about three kids on a rainy day that go to a nearby park. The kids find a spring-rider dinosaur in the park, holding a bag of chalk in it's mouth. The kids begin to draw chalk pictures on the wet concrete, but when they do, magic happens and the pictures come to life. First they draw a sun, which suddenly appears as reality, then butterflies, then a dinosaur. The butterflies and dinosaur come to life and the dinosaur begins to chase them. The kids run towards the playground and slide down the slide. However, the dinosaur sees them. One kid then draws a rain cloud on the inside of the slide, which also comes to life, which causes the dinosaur to melt. The kids but the chalk back inside of the bag and put it back on the dinosaur spring-riders mouth. The last illustration shows the kids leaving the park and walking back home with the dinosaur spring-rider in the background.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book! It shows the imagination that children have even on rainy days. I also like this book because the kids are playing outside, which I feel that in today's society do not do enough. In Chalk, some literary elements I found were anthropomorphism and the plot. In Chalk, the dinosaur spring-rider becomes lifelike which means an animal becomes a believable "human being" which creates fantasy. For the plot, it is very interesting because the reader awaits to see what is going to happen to the dinosaur once the children draw the picture of the rain and clouds on the inside of the slide. I would use this book for younger elementary students. I think this would help students want to play outside more and also use their imaginations more.

Classroom Extensions:
I would use this book as a way to spark students' imaginations. I would first have student go outside and take a piece of colored chalk and draw something on the concrete. I would then take pictures of each students' work and print them out. Then I would give each student their picture and have them draw a picture of their chalk creation coming to life. Then we would do a classroom project. I would have my students each create a cardboard structure of what they drew. Then we would put each creation on display. I would then have students create a creative writing story based on their original chalk drawing. They would then present their cardboard creation and read their creative writing assignment aloud to the class. ( )
  thejennalane | Sep 11, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to the miracles in my life . . . my wondrous sons, Billy, Nik, and Ethan

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0761455264, School & Library Binding)

A rainy day. Three kids in a park. A dinosaur spring rider. A bag of chalk. The kids begin to draw. . . and then . . . magic! The children draw the sun, butterflies, and a dinosaur that amazingly come to life. Children will never feel the same about the playground after they experience this astounding wordless picture book and the power of the imagination. Bill Thomson embraced traditional painting techniques and meticulously painted each illustration by hand, using acrylic paint and colored pencils.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

A wordless picture book about three children who go to a park on a rainy day, find some chalk, and draw pictures that come to life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,780,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible