A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood

A Single Man (1964)

by Christopher Isherwood (Author)

English (56)  Italian (1)  All languages (57)
So much about this book rang true to me. One day in the life of a man that I didn't really like but found fascinating. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Nothing like the film in term of tone and some key facts - the whole attitude of the writer was not really translated into the film at all. For its time it was ahead of itself I would say. The detached tone of the opening tends to undercut your interest in the main character. And like other readers, I couldn't detect much humour. ( )
  adrianburke | Feb 10, 2016 |
A brief, terrifying and funny meditation on loss, living and what the point of it all is. On how we manufacture meaning in our lives, how we manage to keep on going when we've past our peak and how to live a life while facing up to these big and daunting questions.

There's no real plot here, just the unfolding of a day in the life of George, a gay, middle-aged university lecturer whose partner has recently died. He's by turns bitter, funny, joyous, angry and resigned - it's a beautiful character study. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
Isherwood as an island or one day in the life of a rather boring and closeted professor. Death in Venice set in California. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

TO GORE VIDAL
Waking up begins with saying am and now.
Please be careful not to combine the film with the book. Thank you.

Fiction

The author's favorite of his own novels, now back in print!

When A Single Man was originally published, it shocked many by its frank, sympathetic, and moving portrayal of a gay man in midlife. George, the protagonist, is adjusting to life on his own after the sudden death of his partner, and determines to persist in the routines of his daily life; the course of A Single Man spans twenty-four hours in an ordinary day. An Englishman and a professor living in suburban Southern California, he is an outsider in every way, and his internal reflections and interactions with others reveal a man who loves being alive despite everyday injustices and loneliness. Wry, suddenly manic, constantly funny, surprisingly sad, this novel catches the texture of life itself.

"A testimony to Isherwood's undiminished brilliance as a novelist." Anthony Burgess

"An absolutely devastating, unnerving, brilliant book." Stephen Spender

"Just as his Prater Violet is the best novel I know about the movies, Isherwood's A Single Man, published in 1964, is one of the first and best novels of the modern gay liberation movement." Edmund White

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

After the sudden death of his longtime lover, George must adjust to life on his own as a professor in Southern California in the early 1960s. During the course of an ordinary day, George is haunted by memories as he seeks connections with the world around him--Publisher's description.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible