A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood

A Single Man (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Christopher Isherwood, Simon Prebble (Reader)

Member:bookishbunny
Title:A Single Man
Authors:Christopher Isherwood
Other authors:Simon Prebble (Reader)
Info:HighBridge Company (2009), Edition: Unabridged; 4.75 hours on 4 CDs, Audio CD
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:audio

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood (Author) (1964)

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
This is one of those books that came to me by chance. And thank goodness it did!!

The truth (and humor) of this middle-aged, a bit eccentric, British literature professor is touching. From explaining the difficulties of simply waking up in the morning, to living without your partner...it's touching.

The book almost sounds like a memior, and the truthfulness of the main character is shocking. Revealing the thoughts and actions that...you wouldn't really fess up to.

A fantastic read.
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

A fantastic read.
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Original post at Book Rhapsody.

***

One Day in the Life of a Literature Professor

A bookish friend has been raving about the beautiful film adaptation of this since time immemorial, and I couldn’t bring myself to watch it mainly because I do not respond well to rabid recommendations. I hate the feeling of disappointment when high expectations are not met. How could I not have those when the recommender is lost for words and could only plead to just watch the damn movie. Please.

And then out of nowhere, one of my book club friends lent me a copy. Seeing that it’s only slim, something that I can read over the weekend, I read it and immediately looked for the copy of the film adaptation that has been sitting for months on my to-watch stack. I had this need to see how it is translated into film, and having that need as soon as I finished reading the book is saying a lot.

We all understand that books and films are separate entities, but that’s not what I’m getting at. I just want to see if I had a similar vision with the director. It is not disappointing, and I felt that Colin Firth should have won the Academy for that (but he did get it the next year with The King’s Speech). And what of the book? Did Christopher Isherwood deliver?

But George is getting old. Won’t it very soon be too late?

Never use those words to George. He won’t listen. He daren’t listen. Damn the future. Let Kenny and the kids have it. Let Charley keep the past. George clings only to Now. It is Now that he must find another Jim. Now that he must love. Now that he must live...

A Single Man gives us a one-day tour in the life of a middle-aged English professor. George wakes up, castigating the ongoingness of the world without regard to his grief. At this stage of his life, he just lost his lover through a tragic accident. This forces him to go on alone and contain the battle ensuing between his mind and body. He has to keep a calm demeanor, but how can he be calm if he his feelings are not?

He may be surrounded by his co-workers, he may be called on by his best friend, he may be fawned by one of his students, but with Jim, the dead lover, hovering over his daily life, he is constantly reminded of his being alone. His alienation is felt deeply as he moves around the heterosexual world that disapproves his being gay and, consequently, his relationship with Jim.

The first page immediately lets us know that this is going to be bleak. The first paragraph, which is about George waking up (an apt way to start a one-day novel), makes me own the novel immediately. The mention of death, however, did not indulge us with laborious drama. Everything is told in a straightforward and meditative way. What is supposed to be felt is implied in subtle prose.

It is refreshing to read a novel published in the 60s that feels like it just happened recently. This is the mark of a classic in the making, no? And yes, we have already read those gay novels that feature young hot studs oozing with sex appeal, but we don’t have that. What we have is a near 60 professor, thinking out loud and contenting himself with the company of books and the company of the people with whom he is forced to associate just to finish each dragging day.

Oh, we do have a young hot stud oozing with sex appeal. Kenny, one of his students, is drawn to him. He feels his loneliness, and he feels that they have a connection. For the most part of the novel, George is lost in his inner monologues, and this student is his last ditch attempt to impart his life experiences and lessons. George is now only happy when he is able give away what he knows, but will Kenny allow him to redeem himself or bring him closer to destruction?

I can only heave a yearning sigh when I closed the book. Why? Because I felt that I cannot return the book to its owner. Being a good borrower, I have to return it though. So I resolve to have my own copy.

I actually had the chance to have my own just a month ago, but one of my bookish friends got the copy that I was eyeing at the book store. I decided to let it go because I found it more important to have others read this emotionally haunting work. Never mind that I will have to wait for another chance encounter, but hopefully next time, the copy that I’ll be rereading will be mine. ( )
  angusmiranda | Jun 10, 2014 |
This is one of the most astounding books I have ever read. Isherwood masters stream-of-consciousness without throwing the reader off course. The mind of George, our main character, is so distinct and engaging to read. An utter treat. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
This is a very short book. It takes the reader into the life over a 24 hour period of the main characters life after the death of his partner. A great representation of the normalcy of gay relationships and the grieving process in general. I haven't seen the movie yet. ( )
  bibliophile_pgh | Dec 29, 2013 |
TO GORE VIDAL
Waking up begins with saying am and now.
Please be careful not to combine the film with the book. Thank you.

Fiction

The author's favorite of his own novels, now back in print!

When A Single Man was originally published, it shocked many by its frank, sympathetic, and moving portrayal of a gay man in midlife. George, the protagonist, is adjusting to life on his own after the sudden death of his partner, and determines to persist in the routines of his daily life; the course of A Single Man spans twenty-four hours in an ordinary day. An Englishman and a professor living in suburban Southern California, he is an outsider in every way, and his internal reflections and interactions with others reveal a man who loves being alive despite everyday injustices and loneliness. Wry, suddenly manic, constantly funny, surprisingly sad, this novel catches the texture of life itself.

"A testimony to Isherwood's undiminished brilliance as a novelist." Anthony Burgess

"An absolutely devastating, unnerving, brilliant book." Stephen Spender

"Just as his Prater Violet is the best novel I know about the movies, Isherwood's A Single Man, published in 1964, is one of the first and best novels of the modern gay liberation movement." Edmund White

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:36 -0400)

After the sudden death of his longtime lover, George must adjust to life on his own as a professor in Southern California in the early 1960s. During the course of an ordinary day, George is haunted by memories as he seeks connections with the world around him--Publisher's description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible