Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes

Crossing Oceans (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Gina Holmes

Member:SherylHendrix
Title:Crossing Oceans
Authors:Gina Holmes
Info:Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (2010), Edition: 3rd printing, Paperback, 400 pages

Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes (2010)

This was a sad story, but worth the read. I rarely come across books that don't have a happy ending, so in a way it was refreshing. I kept thi/nking there was going to be some sort of surprise miracle at the end, but there wasn't.

I didn't like the epilogue, it was supposed to be in Isabella's adult voice, but it read just like the rest of the novel had, in Jenny's voice. There were parts of it that didn't make sense too, it wasn't just the POV that left me unsatisfied. Bella says she is going to put away the ring with the rest of her memories, away from the new baby. This seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't make sense at all to me; it left me wondering why? Especially since she died when Bella was only five.

There were no other real problems with the plot that made me dislike the book. I didn't know that this was classified as a Christian novel until I read the acknowledgments page, but reading through it there weren't a lot of overly noticeable or overbearing Christian themes. So even if someone isn't interested in reading a Christian book they shouldn't actually have any problems with this one. ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
A beautiful and touching story. It's hard to believe this is a debut novel! This charming book hooked me from the first chapter with great characters and a story that pulls you right into it. ( )
  NinjaTat | Dec 20, 2014 |
*Thanks for providing a copy for review.*
  cherryblossommj | May 28, 2013 |
Crossing Oceans is the story of one mother's journey to reconcile her past with the reality of her present and the needs of her daughter's future. It seemed introspective as I read it, close and intimate with few characters and a tight story line. I read it while on vacation, and in contrast to another book that took me a good two and a half weeks to finish, Crossing Oceans was a page turner that I was able to read in two short days. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Nov 10, 2012 |
How does a mother describe death to her five-year-old daughter? Looking out over the water from her father’s property Jenny tells Isabella that death is like crossing from one side of the ocean to the other. Jenny is forced to do this because she is dying. Only a reason so dire could have forced her return to the North Carolina town she turned her back on six years ago, grieving her mother’s death and abandoned by the men in her life. Her father was overwhelmed by his own grief and her boyfriend, not knowing she was pregnant, callously dumped her. But Jenny must find someone to care for Bella after she is gone. So she returns home to face her past and repair broken relationships. Raw emotion fairly jumps off the pages as Holmes’ flawed, believable characters interact with each other, wrestling with their grief, their love and their conflicting plans for Isabella. To her credit debut novelist Holmes never resorts to clichés, nor does she indulge in a miraculous cure for Jenny. She does, however, provide a good home for Isabella whom we meet again as an adult in the epilogue. Jenny’s journey down the path of surrendering to God’s will for her life is heartfelt and rendered so realistically that the reader knows that the author has experienced loss in her own life. This is a very poignant tale of love and loss, of mistakes and forgiveness, and of learning to trust in God in the direst of circumstances. At times, this is not an easy read, but it is definitely worth it!
  mmmorgan1089 | Jul 5, 2011 |
Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.
ROMANS 8:18
For my sister, Jodi, who has already crossed.
Nothing deepens a stream like a good rain . . . or makes it harder to cross.

Single mother Jenny Lucas must find caregivers who will raise her five-year-old daughter when she's gone. Returning to her hometown in North Carolina, she's forced to mend relations with two possible custodians: the baby's father, who doesn't know he has a child, and her own cold-hearted father.… (more)

Gina Holmes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,985,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible