Juliet by Anne Fortier

Juliet

by Anne Fortier

Recently added byrena75, Katie80
    The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (128)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (133)
I like this pretty well. Some of it didn't hold together very well. The romance read a bit like a bodice buster. Not my thing. I enjoyed reading about the "actual" Romeo and Juliet" from a historical perspective. I picked this book after hearing the author interviewed on Bob Edwards. I'm glad I read it, but not a favorite. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book for the most part. But I found the main character Julie a bit whiny and stupid. Somethings were so clear, and she always missed them. This is a bit of the problem with some first person mystery novels. On the whole it was really cute and fun. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |
History. Shakespeare. Genealogy. Italy. Understated Romance. Not much more I could ask for out of a book! The heroine was frustratingly dim-witted once in a while, but overall, I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be seeking out other Fortier works. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Read my full review of the book here! Spoiler Free!

I read this book a long time ago after a co-worker recommended it to me. I got my hands on a local library copy and I ended up loving the book so much that I went out and bought it for my own personal collection.

I am a huge Shakespeare nut. Any fiction involving Shakespeare and I am there!

This book is basically two stories in one. One follows the present day Juliet while the other follows the "original" Juliet. You can tell Ms. Fortier has done her research because the story that takes place in 1340 is rich in detail about the time and about the play Romeo and Juliet. I saw the play after I read this book and was shocked that the gold statue mentioned in the book is from the play (I totally forgot).Fortier does a fabulous job with tying the two worlds together and this makes the book super enjoyable to read.

Another bonus was the mystery and suspense. I find with some books that have regular "flashbacks" to the past, I tend to enjoy one story more than the other so I dread the respective POV. That was not the case here. I was equally addicted to both and that made this book super hard to put down. While I had suspicions about how the book was going to play--no pun intended--out (I mean, we all know how Romeo and Juliet ends, right?) I found it wasn't predictable which always makes me happy.

The plot was a little DaVinci Code-esque in its delivery but with Shakespeare which I thought was cool. It takes a while to build though and I could see how some people might not enjoy the slower build. But I found while things were slower in the present day, the story from the past captured my attention and kept me reading.

I really liked the characters and Juliet--either of them--didn't annoy me (unlike the Juliet in Shakespeare's play) so win!

Unlike the play, I thought the romance didn't play a huge role in the story. It is definitely important but I would say it is more a suspense novel based on a romantic premise plus a minor romance.

OVERALL: You don't have to like Shakespeare to like this book. If you enjoy mysteries, books with suspense and a dash of romance, you will enjoy this one! I highly recommend it!

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Julie inherited a passport and a safe deposit box key, while her twin sister Janice inherits the estate of their Aunt Rose, who raised the twin girls from infancy after their parents died tragically while in Italy. Julie, told that the two items her Aunt Rose gave her will lead her to a family treasure, takes off for Italy. Soon she finds herself entangled in a mystery that seems to parallels that of Giulietta, whose legendary love for a guy named Romeo rocked medieval Siena and the world. Julie crosses paths with the descendants of the families of Shakespeare's blood feud as she unwraps the mysteries surrounding her own family secrets. If "a plague on both your houses" is a very real curse still present, and she is the next target, then she must find her own Romeo quickly. But, where is he? Anne Fortier weaves a tale both old and new, ripe with intrigue and a bit of fun romance. Some we will recognize and some we won't, but lovers of a good romance will want to find out how this story ends.

Personal Review: This is a modern storyline with a familiar feel. Be warned that if you are a Romeo and Juliet Purist, you may not like this book. It doesn't take place in Verona and doesn't use traditional names we are used to seeing in the US. The book is hard to follow sometimes as the reader is thrown from past to present with stunning pace. It does follow Shakespeare's play, yet, the plot seems disjointed as the character's are introduced. I was intrigued from the start and I plowed onward, determined to figure things out. There is violence and sex in this book. I did and was pleasantly surprised at the end.

Curriculum Connections: Any high school library should have this book. It should also be on any list of supplemental reading for medieval literature or Shakespeare unit. It may be hard for younger teens to follow the plot as it jumps from present to past a lot and can be confusing. However, for those who like a good romance or Love anything about Romeo and Juliet, they will like this book. The updated cover would be better for teen audiences as well. ( )
  barichardson | Mar 22, 2017 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Fortier's book Juliet was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,615,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible