Juliet by Anne Fortier

Authors:Anne Fortier
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Recently added bytashlyn88, twileteyes, MomosLibrary, private library, samspac, FOHHL, LindaEdwards, crazeedi73
    The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (119)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (123)
3.5 - 4 stars

This is a quick and easy read, made enjoyable by the lovely descriptions of Siena. I had a few problems with the plot and some characters though. On the upside, clearly a lot of research has gone into this book, which I always appreciate. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was a fabulous read full of intrigue, romance and mystery. I have always loved Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" so this book captured my attention from the start. It is a great blend of fact and fiction and interweaves present time with 1340s Siena as it follows the 'true' story of the star-crossed lovers. Whether I was in Medieval Siena or modern day Italy, I was always sorry to leave the story until I became engrossed in the other one.

The book is fast paced, which is a plus considering its length, with lots of twists and turns that keeps the reader engaged to the end, and it is all tied together by quotes from Shakespeare's play at the start of every chapter. Truly, a contemporary epic about one of the greatest love stories ever told. I loved it! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |

HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Part modern-day thriller, part work of historical fiction, Anne Fortier delivers a wonderfully thrilling tale set in both present day and 14th century Italy, one that is based on the legend of Romeo and Juliet. While I found the historical parts slow, I quite literally couldn't put the book down whenever the story focused on the modern-day. A great read! ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
I couldn't get a clear sense of the characters, which really annoys me about a book, and some of the plot line was very weak. Letting that go, I enjoyed the story because it's based on "Romeo and Juliet" and I was curious to see how it would end. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 14, 2016 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Juliet by Anne Fortier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible