Juliet by Anne Fortier

Authors:Anne Fortier
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Juliet by Anne Fortier

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (127)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (132)
When Julie Jacobs' aunt died, she received a letter that reveals her name is actually Giulietta Tolomei, a descendant of the real-life families that inspired Romeo and Juliet. Julie's twin sister inherits everything; Julie is told to go to Italy to find a safety deposit box. Julie has always had a great love for the work of Shakespeare and for the play 'Romeo and Juliet' in particular. While in Italy, Julie discovers her family history and finds love.

This book was very confusing to me. It is as if three different authors collaborated on it - and not particularly well. The story of the modern day Julie, her sister Janice, and the modern day love interest 'Romeo' felt way too contrived to me. The author used modern day slang that felt very forced. I simply did not buy into the love at first sight angle at all and the characters were very two-dimensional. The 'historical' component of the book was, in contrast, beautifully written and very interesting and far more believable than Shakespeare's play (I must disclose here that 'Romeo and Juliet' has never been a favourite of mine.) Then, suddenly, the book turned into a suspense thriller - where did that come from?

Overall, this book is probably fine as a quick read without much substance - but it won't stay on my bookshelf. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Feb 18, 2017 |
In 1340 young woman Giulietta is smuggled into medieval Siena, Italy, after the slaughter of her family. There she meets a young man named Romeo. Their ill-fated love would inspire generations of poets and artists, one of them being Shakespeare whose tragedy written in the 1590s is the most famous version. Six centuries later, 25 year old Julie Jacobs learns that Giulietta might be her direct ancestor, and a family curse responsible for the deaths of her parents and countless other tragic events back through history. Travelling to modern day Siena she seeks to uncover the past and break the curse, but superstitions, ancient hostilities, and personal vendettas threaten her and those around her. Who can she trust and just where is her Romeo?

Didn't fall in love with this book as much as I thought I might. The characters weren't as well developed as they could have been and the plot jumped around the place too much. Great potential, but not quite there. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jan 26, 2017 |
I'm just going to input my notes rather than some kind of cohesive review:

* The story, which takes place mainly in Sienna, Italy, is so atmospheric and descriptive, I feel as if I know the city by heart
* I enjoyed the hidden summaries that were preceded by, "So let me get this straight..." as the book sometimes got a bit off course and those hidden summaries righted you on the path again. With that being said, it should be obvious at times the book got a bit messy.
* The romance was kind of predictable which since this is a metaliterature of Romeo and Juliet, we shouldn't be surprised but honestly? I wanted the author to give us something a bit more challenging.
* Thoroughly research of the Middle Ages.
* Juliet, who doesn't know Italian, was able to read an Italian manuscript -- her knowledge of Italian comes and goes as the story progresses and gets a bit annoying
* Thought the story was more of a three rather than a four but after the book had finished, I found myself missing the characters and wondering what they were up to -- so obviously, the book left an impression on me and that my friend, is the mark of a well executed work. (Unless it's a terrible story but just work with me here.) ( )
  byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |
Juliet contains everything I could ever want in a book, murder, mystery, Shakespeare, exotic locales, family strife holy relics and ancient history, set against a timeless romance. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
Juliet –Anne Fortier
Audio version narrated by Cassandra Campbell
3 stars
To begin with, the founding premise of this novel is completely unbelievable. Julie Jacobs receives nothing of her expected inheritance from her beloved Aunt. She is given only a key to a safe deposit box in Sienna, Italy. It seems she is the direct descendent of Giulietta Tolomei, the original, Juliet who inspired the tragic play. Julie hopes the key will lead her to a hidden treasure. Let’s see… what other predictable clichés make their appearance? Of course there is a Romeo, the prince charming beneath the bad boy exterior. We have an evil twin, an ancient curse, a drunken artist, Italian mobsters, and a great deal of butchered Shakespeare. The climax of the story takes place far below Sienna in previously undiscovered burial vaults. Think of the cheesy movie, National Treasure,and place it in Sienna. That about says it all.

I was trapped in my car with this book. I was tempted to throw the CD’s out the window a few times, but I do try not to damage library materials. So much of the book is just too ridiculous, but after a while there is a certain humor to that. Humor may even have been the author’s intention at some points where the narrator did not quite bring it across. Once I stopped being annoyed that this book could never be anything approaching believable historical fiction, I was mildly entertained. As a predictable, Saturday afternoon movie diversion, the book works fairly well.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Juliet by Anne Fortier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,557,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible