Juliet by Anne Fortier

Authors:Anne Fortier
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Juliet by Anne Fortier

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (124)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (128)
Juliet contains everything I could ever want in a book, murder, mystery, Shakespeare, exotic locales, family strife holy relics and ancient history, set against a timeless romance. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
Juliet –Anne Fortier
Audio version narrated by Cassandra Campbell
3 stars
To begin with, the founding premise of this novel is completely unbelievable. Julie Jacobs receives nothing of her expected inheritance from her beloved Aunt. She is given only a key to a safe deposit box in Sienna, Italy. It seems she is the direct descendent of Giulietta Tolomei, the original, Juliet who inspired the tragic play. Julie hopes the key will lead her to a hidden treasure. Let’s see… what other predictable clichés make their appearance? Of course there is a Romeo, the prince charming beneath the bad boy exterior. We have an evil twin, an ancient curse, a drunken artist, Italian mobsters, and a great deal of butchered Shakespeare. The climax of the story takes place far below Sienna in previously undiscovered burial vaults. Think of the cheesy movie, National Treasure,and place it in Sienna. That about says it all.

I was trapped in my car with this book. I was tempted to throw the CD’s out the window a few times, but I do try not to damage library materials. So much of the book is just too ridiculous, but after a while there is a certain humor to that. Humor may even have been the author’s intention at some points where the narrator did not quite bring it across. Once I stopped being annoyed that this book could never be anything approaching believable historical fiction, I was mildly entertained. As a predictable, Saturday afternoon movie diversion, the book works fairly well.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Fun Summer read with historical facts about the story behind the story. Ending reads like summer blockbuster movie, so that was a little disappointing, but otherwise just good fun. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I am reading Juliet, and I am loving every page, the description of Siena, the story, everything is just right, and I know I am loving a book when I don't want to run through it, I want to taste it slowly, this book is yummy :)

I am almost in middle, though I like the story, I had to drop a star because I found the main character annoying, she is rather dull, uninteresting and has so many issues. In every situation she is in, I want her to do something different, to be different, Julie is killing my buzz!

I know her twin sister Janice should be the villain of the story but I prefer her more than Julie. I'm depressed about Giulietta and Romeo's sad ending, I knew how it will end but it's still depressing. I feel so sorry for Friar Lorenzo!!! His end was horrible!

I just finished Juliet and when I read Giannozza's letter and tears rolled in my eyes, the two sister's lives had been miserable... but all in all, the book was amazing! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

I just finished Juliet and when I read Giannozza's letter my tears rolled in my eyes, the two sister's lives had been miserable... but all in all, the book was amazing! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Juliet by Anne Fortier was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,180,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible