Juliet by Anne Fortier

Authors:Anne Fortier
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Juliet by Anne Fortier

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books center on heroines named after Shakespearean characters and deal with the theme of a destiny or personality based on their literary counterparts.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (Bitter_Grace)

English (123)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (127)
Fun Summer read with historical facts about the story behind the story. Ending reads like summer blockbuster movie, so that was a little disappointing, but otherwise just good fun. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I am reading Juliet, and I am loving every page, the description of Siena, the story, everything is just right, and I know I am loving a book when I don't want to run through it, I want to taste it slowly, this book is yummy :)

I am almost in middle, though I like the story, I had to drop a star because I found the main character annoying, she is rather dull, uninteresting and has so many issues. In every situation she is in, I want her to do something different, to be different, Julie is killing my buzz!

I know her twin sister Janice should be the villain of the story but I prefer her more than Julie. I'm depressed about Giulietta and Romeo's sad ending, I knew how it will end but it's still depressing. I feel so sorry for Friar Lorenzo!!! His end was horrible!

I just finished Juliet and when I read Giannozza's letter and tears rolled in my eyes, the two sister's lives had been miserable... but all in all, the book was amazing! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

I just finished Juliet and when I read Giannozza's letter my tears rolled in my eyes, the two sister's lives had been miserable... but all in all, the book was amazing! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
A new favorite! I must read it again! ( )
  SaraNoH | Feb 9, 2016 |
I read this book because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Goodreads. Unfortunately, I just didn't get into it. It's the sort of book I usually like - a historical mystery, with the past and present intertwining. But I felt that so many opportunities for exploring the intersection of history, literature and modern life were missed, in this book.
I also had to keep stopping in the middle of the story to say, about the characters' actions: "but no! A person just wouldn't DO that!" (In her acknowledgements, the author admits that she is aware that, for example, the Director of a hotel in Italy would not "interfere with the movements of their guests or remove personal belongings from their rooms." So - don't have your character do those things! It's unbelievable, when the plot gives no excuse why someone would behave in such an uncharacteristic way!) I just found it unconvincing, and it happened over and over again.
And then, when the main character sneaks into a university library and STEALS items from their archive, I lost all sympathy for her. Especially since the book doesn't really even criticize her actions.
After that, I just found it to be overly long and slow-moving, with metaphysical parts that were just eh, and action scenes that reminded me of something out of a cheesy movie like "National Treasure." ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Lovers of adventurous fiction will lose themselves in Fortier's exciting, intricately woven tale.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Kristine Huntley

To my beloved mother,
Birgit Malling Eriksen,
whose magnanimity and herculean research
made this book possible.
They say I died.

When Julie Jacobs leaves for Italy per the instructions of her late aunt's will, she never imagines that she'll be thrust into a centuries-old feud, not to mention one of the most legendary romances of all time.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 310 books! | Top bar: Always visible