The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry

The Emperor's Tomb

by Steve Berry

The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Cotton Malone, a retired Justice Department operative has more adventures than when on active duty.

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All (53)
Book Description
The tomb of China’s First Emperor, guarded by an underground army of terra-cotta warriors, has remained sealed for more than 2,000 years. Though it’s regarded as one of the greatest archaeological sites in the world, the Chinese government won’t allow anyone to open it. Why?

That question is at the heart of a dilemma faced by former Justice Department operative Cotton Malone, whose life is shattered when he receives an anonymous note carrying an unfamiliar Web address. Logging on, he sees Cassiopeia Vitt, a woman who’s saved his life more than once, being tortured at the hands of a mysterious man who has a single demand: Bring me the artifact she’s asked you to keep safe. The only problem is, Malone doesn’t have a clue what the man is talking about, since Cassiopeia has left nothing with him. So begins Malone’s most harrowing adventure to date—one that offers up astounding historical revelations, pits him against a ruthless ancient brotherhood, and sends him from Denmark to Belgium to Vietnam then on to China, a vast and mysterious land where danger lurks at every turn.

My Review
I enjoyed this book very much. I visited China in 2006 and this book was a great re-visit for me. I learned a lot more of the history of China and it's rulers and found the information about the terra-cotta warriors and the emperor's tomb fascinating. The plot deals with not only the history of China but the issue of whether oil and gas are derived from fossils or the abiotic oil hypothesis which proposes that a small amount of oil originates from non-biological origins. The characters are unique and some are good and some are bad. In the end the good does overcome the evil and there is a hope that China will become an economical power under a new leader. I'm looking forward to reading the next Cotton Malone book and I would highly recommend this book to those who love history with their mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Sep 14, 2017 |
This was not my favorite book in this series. It was riddled with Chinese politics and... for me at least... it was like wading through mud at times. The saving grace for the book was when Cotton and Cassiopeia were involved in the adventure taking place in the story. Thus having been said...that brings me to the main issue I had with the book. Cotton Malone was almost a secondary character here except for the Prologue...which I thought and hoped would be the setting for the entire book. It wasn't. Cotton seemed to have been incorporated into the story to make it a part of the Cotton Malone series. While the historical information was interesting, I found that something was just lacking in the story. I will certainly continue this series but I hope that Steve Berry brings Cotton out of where ever he had him hiding. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 14, 2017 |
Cotton Malones life as an antiquarian book dealer in Copenhagen is never boring, hell, I wonder if he even have time to be an antiquarian book dealer since he spends much of his time traveling around the globe saving things and people. In this book he has to save his close friend Cassiopeia Vitt and suddenly he is smack in the middle of a power struggle between two of Chinas leading men. It’s nonstop action from the beginning till the end. Just the way I like my adventures books. And you get a history lesson about Chinas first emperor. I like that too, since I honestly isn’t that well informed about Chinas history.
It’s a good book, it never gets boring. The only thing I didn’t like was the ending when Victor died. I liked him. I can't remember Malones history with him, been a while since I read a Berry book. But I liked him and Cassiopeia together in this book. I strangly enough found there relationship more interesting than Malones and Cassiopeia...
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book and didn't much. I will say I did enjoy all the nonfiction bits. Maybe I would have liked this better as a nonfiction book. The part that I liked best was the Writer's Note at the back of the book. That was fascinating and as a author I learned a lot about combining fact and fiction in a novel. ( )
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |
Another well paced thriller. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A bullet zipped past Cotton Malone.

Former government operative Cotton Malone teams with old heartthrob Cassiopeia Vitt on a dangerous mission to retrieve a priceless Chinese lamp from the third century B.C.E.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steve Berry's book The Emperor's Tomb was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,508,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible