Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path…

Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment

by Peter Buffett

Life is What You Make It
Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment
by Peter Buffett

I found this 257 page teacher a real pleasure to review because it was honest, refreshing and to the point. The author grants us the benefit of his unique perspective as the son of a billionaire investor, in ways that seemed sometimes simplistic and at others very complex, but always, all ways thought provoking. I loved the examples and personal touches thrown in for good measure.

I really felt that this blessed dear offers the optimistic spin many of us have been searching for. In our complex society, there just seems to be so much suspense and superstition that it gets hard to find the silver lining, or even a road map of where one may look for it. So I believe this enlightened pied piper has showed up in the nick of time to lead us away from hysteria and put us on more solid ground smiling all the way. Thanks Peter, You have so much to offer and you delivered it superbly.

Love & Light,

Riki Frahmann ( )
  biunicorn | Mar 15, 2012 |
It started out well, and I liked the premise of the book too. But I didn't feel like I got much out of the book or what it promised to deliver. ( )
  sundaraz | Mar 4, 2012 |
"Life Is What You Make It" is about taking control of one's own life and making the best out of it, with a bias towards meaningful careers outside of the financial sphere. Filled with biographical anecdotes from Peter Buffett (son of the famous Warren Buffett), it's an insightful, frank look into how the author has navigated his way from his position of privilege and how others can do similarly no matter where they come from.

A solid book with many honest confessions of error, Buffett's "Life Is What You Make It" is a great primer for those burdened by their ambiguously privileged backgrounds. For other people, however, I'm unsure of its value. Certainly many of the lessons in the book are universal, but the way issues are framed may not appeal to everyone. ( )
  jasonli | Aug 20, 2011 |
Sensible. Well-written. Inspiring without the stars-in-your-eyes attitude. Practical, simple. ( )
  popoki | Jul 27, 2010 |

From composer, musician, and philanthropist Peter Buffett comes a warm, wise, and inspirational book that asks, Which will you choose: the path of least resistance or the path of potentially greatest satisfaction?

You may think that with a last name like his, Buffett has enjoyed a life of endless privilege. But the son of billionaire investor Warren Buffett says that the only real inheritance handed down from his parents was a philosophy: Forge your own path in life. It is a creed that has allowed him to follow his own passions, establish his own identity, and reap his own successes.

In Life Is What You Make It, Buffett expounds on the strong set of values given to him by his trusting and broadminded mother, his industrious and talented father, and the many life teachers he has met along the way.

Today’s society, Buffett posits, has begun to replace a work ethic, relishing what you do, with a wealth ethic, honoring the payoff instead of the process. We confuse privilege with material accumulation, character with external validation. Yet, by focusing more on substance and less on reward, we can open doors of opportunity and strive toward a greater sense of fulfillment. In clear and concise terms, Buffett reveals a great truth: Life is random, neither fair nor unfair.

From there it becomes easy to recognize the equal dignity and value of every human life—our circumstances may vary but our essences do not. We see that our journey in life rarely follows a straight line but is often met with false starts, crises, and blunders. How we push through and persevere in these challenging moments is where we begin to create the life of our dreams—from discovering our vocations to living out our bliss to giving back to others.

Personal and revealing, instructive and intuitive, Life Is What You Make It is about transcending your circumstances, taking up the reins of your destiny, and living your life to the fullest.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:15 -0400)

Composer, musician, and philanthropist Peter Buffett, son of billionaire investor Warren Buffett, says that the only real inheritance handed down from his parents was a philosophy: Forge your own path in life. It is a creed that has allowed him to follow his own passions, establish his own identity, and reap his own successes. Today's society, Buffett posits, has begun to replace a work ethic, relishing what you do, with a wealth ethic, honoring the payoff instead of the process. Yet, by focusing more on substance and less on reward, we can open doors of opportunity and strive toward a greater sense of fulfillment. Our journey in life rarely follows a straight line but is often met with false starts, crises, and blunders. How we push through and persevere is where we begin to create the life of our dreams--from discovering our vocations, to living out our bliss, to giving back to others.--From publisher description.… (more)

25 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,009,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible