I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

I'd Know You Anywhere

by Laura Lippman

1,3271229,002 (3.51)1 / 63
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: This one is less inert and domestic than Lippman's novel. This time the survivor is affected by her experience and while she may not be likable, she's at least interesting. It also deals with memory of the crime that may or may not be faulty.
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: I've read both -and enjoyed them very much. They are different -but also have much in common.
    The Other Half Lives by Sophie Hannah (LelandGaunt)

As a fifteen-year-old, Elizabeth was kidnapped by Walter Bowman and held hostage for almost six weeks. He had killed at least two other girls, yet let Elizabeth go for reasons known only to him. Now he is on death row for the murder of his last victim.

Now a grown woman, Elizabeth has changed her name to Eliza, married and had children, and shed her old identity as the rape victim and former hostage. Then she receives a letter from Walter. As his death comes near, he seems contrite.

But is that the only thing he is after? Is he finally willing to confess to murdering other girls? Or is he intent on forcing Eliza to remember everything that happened that summer, remember the truth of all that happened, to gain the upper hand and possibly stay his execution?

This thriller was very well written. The narrative changes from the present time to the terrible summer when Walter held Elizabeth hostage, and Lippman does a fine job building suspense through this. Each time I seemed to be close to reading all that happened—particularly with Holly, his last victim, and Elizabeth's rape—Lippman left me hanging and desperate to read on to find out the truth. (I read this in one afternoon, which is unusual for me.)

The emotions run high: Eliza is torn between her desire to leave the past behind and her desperation to protect her family from Walter's unpredictable actions. We hear the voices of the grown Eliza and the young Elizabeth, Walter, his last victim's mother, and Barbara, who, for counterintuitive reasons of her own, helps him contact Eliza and is obsessed with staying Walter's execution.

What was most fascinating to me was getting inside Walter's head and learning how warped his view of the world is, the way he manipulates others around him: Elizabeth/Eliza, his other victims, and Barbara. Fascinating and frightening. Fascinating because it opens the mind of a depraved and violent mind to the rest of us. Frightening because it points me to the unsettling question of how much do I, any of us, justify our misdeeds and manipulations of others. A question to ponder.

As a side note: there isn't much in the way of foul language, explicit violence or sexual content. Lippman alludes to the violent deaths but never describes them, and the rape scene is so barebones that most of it is left to the imagination. The technique makes Walter's crimes all the more horrifying. Effective, and a way that I wish many other writers of crime novels would take note of.
  MeredithRankin | Jun 7, 2019 |
Like all of Laura Lippman's stand-alone novels, I'd Know You Anywhere truly creeped me out. The suspense, the tight writing, the concepts of forgiveness and how our past shapes us all contributed to make this an intriguing read. ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of this book, but the ending was deeply disappointing. The revelations at the end certainly did not merit the build-up. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Eliza is now married and has two kids: Iso is a teenager and Albie is younger. But when she was 15 years old and went by her full name, Elizabeth, she was kidnapped, and later released. Her kidnapper was arrested and charged with 2 murders, though it was suspected he’d done more than the two. Elizabeth was his only victim who lived. Eliza’s kids have not been told what had happened to their mother when she was younger. Walter, her kidnapper, is on Death Row, but not long before his date, Eliza gets a letter from him…

This was quite good. Not as edge-of-your-seat as I originally expected, but it was still a good story. The book went back and forth in time between present-day and 1985 when Elizabeth was kidnapped. It also changed points of view. Mostly it was told from Elizabeth/Eliza’s point of view, but we got Walter’s POV, as well as a few others, though the others mostly came in the second half of the book. There were a couple of characters I really really disliked (in addition to Walter!). ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 24, 2017 |
It was fine. Obviously it wasn't great or it wouldn't have taken me a month to read. ( )
1 vote | Sarahbel | Sep 1, 2017 |
For Dorothy and Bernie
"ISO, time for-"

Eliza Benedict cherishes her peaceful, ordinary suburban life with her successful husband and children, thirteen-year-old Iso and eight-year-old Albie. But her tranquility is shattered when she receives a letter from the last person she ever expects-or wants-to hear from: Walter Bowman. There was your photo, in a magazine. Of course, you are older now. Still, I'd know you anywhere. In the summer of 1985, when she was fifteen, Eliza was kidnapped by Walter and held hostage for almost six weeks. He had killed at least one girl and Eliza always suspected he had other victims as well. Now on death row in Virginia for the rape and murder of his final victim, Walter seems to be making a heartfelt act of contrition as his execution nears. A gripping tale of psychological manipulation.

Eliza Benedict's peaceful suburban life is shattered after she is contacted by Walter Bowman, the man who kidnapped and held her hostage as a teen in 1985, and who now claims to want forgiveness while on death row.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laura Lippman's book I'd Know You Anywhere was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,372,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible