Mr. Monster by Dan Wells

Mr. Monster

by Dan Wells

*Spoilers! Read at your own risk!*

Dan Wells, you’ve done it again! I was blown away by the first book’s unique combination of serial killer-based thrills and fantasy horror. While the supernatural element in the first book was well done, the star of the show was the way Wells depicted John's dark urges and emotional detachment.

The follow up not only delves deeper into that, but also into the origins and specifics of the "Demon" from the first book, and introduces another one.

This book, much like the first, can be divided in half. The first half of the first book was all about the mystery of who the killer was and setting up John's sociopathy and family situation. The second half was all about John stalking Mr. Crowley to find a way to take him out.

The first half of this book is mostly about John's relationship with Brooke. Forces beyond his control are forcing her into his life, which is dangerous because deep down he wants to put a knife in her. The second half, although it happens farther in than halfway, is about John being abducted by the new demon and brought to his torture-house. While John's there he learns some very interesting things about these Demons (or "gods" as the new Demon identifies himself and his kin as) and how this specific one works, which is very interesting.

The demon from the first book took organs to keep his body from falling apart. The demon from this book tortures people, feeding off their fear, anger, and any other strong emotions. He feels anything that the people around him feel, and is practically a mind-reader because of it. I thought this was a brilliant idea for the new demon. Not only is it cool and interesting in its' own right, but it's made even more so by the fact that John is a sociopath. The demon uses John to "calm down" after feeding off the fear of his other victims, since John hardly feels any emotions at all.

The absolute best part of this book though is the end, and I hope the third book lives up to all the expectations I have for it. At the end John kills the demon, and gets backed up by witness testimony from the other victims in the house, and is declared a hero. He winds up with the demon's cell phone, and finds a name he's heard the demon say before. He calls the number and tells the person who answers that the demon is dead, and that he also killed the demon from the first book.

"Why are you telling me this?" she asks.

And what does John say? Well just the most badass thing ever.

"Because you're next. I'm the demon slayer. Come and get me."

Squeeeeeeee! Now John has a constructive outlet for his dark urges. He can become a demon slayer! So. Freaking. Cool.
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
John is back, and chasing another serial killer. This sequel to "I am not a serial killer" is a lot more gruesome and menacing than the first. The graphic detail is stomach-churning and, at times quite distressing. I felt at times like I had to read it with one eye closed! But, boy, I loved it! The conflict between John and the barely-contained Mr Monster is fascinating - the quintessential struggle between good and evil, both occupying the same mind - and the action is relentless. No wonder Dan wells' mother-in-law rang her daughter to ask if she was comfortable being alone with him! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Kirby Heyborne
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is the second in a trilogy about a young sociopath who knows he is a sociopath and tries to fight it and remain a good person. He became entangled with an evil presence in the first book of the trilogy, I Am Not a Serial Killer, and was the winner in that engagement. I liked the book enough to read the second, but I think I am finished now. Even though the final book of the trilogy has been published, I will pass. This one was too dark, too gory, and too unsettling. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
What a thrill ride. Always engaging, even if often disturbing. Gosh, why does it give me such a rush? Should I feel guilty? I really wanted to start it over again after I finished it, which is rare for me. I actually "dosed" myself as I read it, allowing myself only a little bit every night, so it wouldn't end too soon. This book was, if possible, even more upsetting than the first (I am Not a Serial Killer), but the payoff was greater too. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
While the first book was twisty and dark, the second makes the leap to frightening and sinister. It’s part of the stellar character development and voice that Wells employs with seemingly effortless skill—John has let the monster out of the box, and he can’t put it back
added by r.orrison | editTor.com, Brit Mandelo (Sep 28, 2010)

John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a murderer even more appalling than the serial killers he obsessively studies. But it turns out even demons have friends, and the disappearance of one has brought another to Clayton County. Soon there are new victims for John to work on at the mortuary and a new mystery to solve. But John has tasted death, and the dark nature he used as a weapon - the terrifying persona he calls “Mr. Monster” - might now be using him. No one in Clayton is safe unless John can vanquish two nightmarish adversaries: the unknown demon he must hunt and the inner demon he can never escape.

John Wayne Cleaver saved his town from a murderer even more appalling than the serial killers he obsessively studies. But it turns out even demons have friends, and the disappearance of one has brought another to Clayton County. No one in Clayton is safe unless John can vanquish two nightmarish adversaries: the unknown demon he must hunt and the inner demon he can never escape.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,583,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible