The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

The Cardturner

by Louis Sachar

507None19,956 (3.75)29

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
I thought I'd really love this book, but it didn't end up being the story I hoped it would. I did, however, learn a lot about the game of bridge and now I'm totally going to learn how to play! Platinum Masterpoints here I come! :) ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Good book. Did a great job of describing duplicate bridge without slowing down the story at all. Touching. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I forgot how nicely Sachar paces his stories and how deftly he plots. His characters are really well drawn as always...we learn more about almost everyone in the book, which I think is pretty hard to pull off. I'm waffling between 3 and 4 stars, though, because it's as much instruction as it is story. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
On our last family vacation, my husband decided that we should all learn to play bridge. It had been a great vacation with lots of down time together and we had gone through many of our old standard card games - Spades, Hearts, Estimation - so bridge seemed like a good choice. But the problem was that only my husband knew how to play and the rest of us were lost with all of the rules of bidding, roughing, and other bridge nuances. So when we started reading this book together, it was perfect. At the beginning of the book, the author lets you know that you can skip the detailed bridge lessons and just read the book for the story. But we loved the bridge lessons and would get out a deck of cards to try to figure them out. And the story was the icing on the cake. As can be expected by anything from Louis Sachar, it was funny, but also touching. Good story about families - perfect to be shared together. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 14, 2013 |
i thought the book was kinda weird ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |

When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible