The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

The Cardturner (edition 2010)

by Louis Sachar

Member:brigneti
Title:The Cardturner
Authors:Louis Sachar
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, c2010.
Collections:To read, ebook, Wishlist

The Cardturner: A Novel About a King, a Queen, and a Joker by Louis Sachar

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All (51)
This made me really want to learn to play bridge, despite the fact that I understood very little of what was going on in the card games.

Despite the fact that I loved this book and greatly enjoyed all of it, it kind of gave me a sense of dread as I read it. I kept expecting something super awful to happen, right up to the very end. Speaking of the end, I was expecting a little more, somehow. I mean, it was a great ending at all. But like, the very last actual paragraph. I turned the page expecting more, only to find that there was no more. Kind of disappointing.

Nevertheless, I loved it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 14, 2016 |
I know I'm old, and this book will not go over as well with teens, but I really liked it, and I really want to learn to play bridge. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
Very impressive - Sachar *almost* managed to make Bridge interesting. I stink at trick-taking games, though, even Hearts and Euchre. I'd've liked the story more, except that some of the supporting characters were so ugly. Not until the end did we understand Alton's understanding of and r'ship to Cliff, and I never understood why Alton's parents were so iconographically shallow. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Readers will either enjoy this because they like Louis Sachar's work and are intrigued enough to want to learn bridge, or they'll be annoyed because they don't get the descriptions of the game. I would say don't be too afraid to try this book. While it is about a card game that most young people are not familiar with, it is also a satisfying story about Alton's relationship with his so-called favorite Uncle Lester and how the game of bridge enriches Alton's life in unexpected ways. There is even a bit of spiritual channeling going on. I admit I more or less tuned out the bridge descriptions. If, however, you are into bridge, you will LOVE this book. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I hadn't read any of Sachar's YA books since I was a child myself, devouring the Wayside School series. The Cardturner captivated me from the beginning. The narrator has a conversational tone that pulled me in and kept me close, yet there were many surprises throughout the book. It almost got a little supernatural at the climax, but it didn't seem overtly so, and didn't take away from the story. I absolutely love Sachar's easy writing style. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionscalculated
Watts, Trish ParcellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nancy Joe, Nacy Jo Gordy, Marilou Powell, Paul and Beth Tobias, Jerry Bigler, Claudette Hartman, Alex Kolesnik, and Ruth Sachar. It's been a joy sitting across the table from you

(even if a bit trying at times),

and to all my friends at the Austin Bridge Center, opponents and partners alike,

and to anyone, anywhere, who is struggling to figure out whether a bid of four clubs is Gerber or natural...
Ever since I was a little kid, I've had it drilled into me that my uncle Lester was my favorite uncle.
I have this rule. If you can see that plan A won't work, don't do it, even if you don't have a plan B.

When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,082,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible