The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

The Cardturner (edition 2010)

by Louis Sachar

Member:brigneti
Title:The Cardturner
Authors:Louis Sachar
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, c2010.
Collections:To read, ebook, Wishlist

The Cardturner: A Novel About a King, a Queen, and a Joker by Louis Sachar

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
I know I'm old, and this book will not go over as well with teens, but I really liked it, and I really want to learn to play bridge. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
Very impressive - Sachar *almost* managed to make Bridge interesting. I stink at trick-taking games, though, even Hearts and Euchre. I'd've liked the story more, except that some of the supporting characters were so ugly. Not until the end did we understand Alton's understanding of and r'ship to Cliff, and I never understood why Alton's parents were so iconographically shallow. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Readers will either enjoy this because they like Louis Sachar's work and are intrigued enough to want to learn bridge, or they'll be annoyed because they don't get the descriptions of the game. I would say don't be too afraid to try this book. While it is about a card game that most young people are not familiar with, it is also a satisfying story about Alton's relationship with his so-called favorite Uncle Lester and how the game of bridge enriches Alton's life in unexpected ways. There is even a bit of spiritual channeling going on. I admit I more or less tuned out the bridge descriptions. If, however, you are into bridge, you will LOVE this book. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I hadn't read any of Sachar's YA books since I was a child myself, devouring the Wayside School series. The Cardturner captivated me from the beginning. The narrator has a conversational tone that pulled me in and kept me close, yet there were many surprises throughout the book. It almost got a little supernatural at the climax, but it didn't seem overtly so, and didn't take away from the story. I absolutely love Sachar's easy writing style. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I'm a big fan of HOLES as well as a bridge player, so I figured to enjoy Louis Sachar's new book for teens, THE CARDTURNER [never mind that my teenage years are long past:]. But I LOVED THIS BOOK! You can find the plot in other reviews. I'm going to rave about the writing, the characters, the philosophy, and the plot. Sachar puts you in hero Alton's head so perfectly that everything Alton does/says/thinks is fully integrated into a sympathetic personality. The other characters are run the gamut of humanity without being stereotypes: spunky kid sister, odious parents, manipulative best friend, cranky elderly uncle, and crazy cousin who turns out to be not so crazy after all.

But THE CARDTURNER is more than a "how I spent my summer" teen novel. The mystery that Alton's family has tried so hard to conceal is carefully revealed, mental illness and domestic violence rear their ugly heads, the mutual distain between Alton and his elderly uncle slowly becomes respect and admiration, and young love blooms. Add in some ghosts and philosophical discussions for good measure, plus last, but not least, the game of Bridge. If anything can get kids to start playing bridge, this book will do it.

Unfortunately for me, this is one of the crummy things about being a novelist myself. I used to read fantastic novels that left me feeling, well, fantastic. Reading Sachar's latest work certainly does that, but it also makes me realize that I'll never be able to write so well. Sigh.
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Watts, Trish ParcellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nancy Joe, Nacy Jo Gordy, Marilou Powell, Paul and Beth Tobias, Jerry Bigler, Claudette Hartman, Alex Kolesnik, and Ruth Sachar. It's been a joy sitting across the table from you

(even if a bit trying at times),

and to all my friends at the Austin Bridge Center, opponents and partners alike,

and to anyone, anywhere, who is struggling to figure out whether a bid of four clubs is Gerber or natural...
Ever since I was a little kid, I've had it drilled into me that my uncle Lester was my favorite uncle.
I have this rule. If you can see that plan A won't work, don't do it, even if you don't have a plan B.

When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,158,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible