The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

The Cardturner (edition 2010)

by Louis Sachar

Member:brigneti
Title:The Cardturner
Authors:Louis Sachar
Info:New York : Delacorte Press, c2010.
Collections:To read, ebook, Wishlist

The Cardturner by Louis Sachar

Recently added byFEML, Merryann, private library, ShannonSleeper, Mirandalg14, Revekka, HunterMiddle, sylliu, ceecee83

English (46)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
I'm a big fan of HOLES as well as a bridge player, so I figured to enjoy Louis Sachar's new book for teens, THE CARDTURNER [never mind that my teenage years are long past:]. But I LOVED THIS BOOK! You can find the plot in other reviews. I'm going to rave about the writing, the characters, the philosophy, and the plot. Sachar puts you in hero Alton's head so perfectly that everything Alton does/says/thinks is fully integrated into a sympathetic personality. The other characters are run the gamut of humanity without being stereotypes: spunky kid sister, odious parents, manipulative best friend, cranky elderly uncle, and crazy cousin who turns out to be not so crazy after all.

But THE CARDTURNER is more than a "how I spent my summer" teen novel. The mystery that Alton's family has tried so hard to conceal is carefully revealed, mental illness and domestic violence rear their ugly heads, the mutual distain between Alton and his elderly uncle slowly becomes respect and admiration, and young love blooms. Add in some ghosts and philosophical discussions for good measure, plus last, but not least, the game of Bridge. If anything can get kids to start playing bridge, this book will do it.

Unfortunately for me, this is one of the crummy things about being a novelist myself. I used to read fantastic novels that left me feeling, well, fantastic. Reading Sachar's latest work certainly does that, but it also makes me realize that I'll never be able to write so well. Sigh.
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
It is an interesting story, but you have to love the card game of contract bridge to love this book. A good chunk of the book is devoted to teaching the reader the rules of bridge. ( )
  SpockMonkeys | Apr 19, 2014 |
I thought I'd really love this book, but it didn't end up being the story I hoped it would. I did, however, learn a lot about the game of bridge and now I'm totally going to learn how to play! Platinum Masterpoints here I come! :) ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Good book. Did a great job of describing duplicate bridge without slowing down the story at all. Touching. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I forgot how nicely Sachar paces his stories and how deftly he plots. His characters are really well drawn as always...we learn more about almost everyone in the book, which I think is pretty hard to pull off. I'm waffling between 3 and 4 stars, though, because it's as much instruction as it is story. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |

When his wealthy uncle, a champion bridge player who has lost his vision, asks seventeen-year-old Alton to be a cardturner for him, Alton has no idea how much he will ultimately learn from his eccentric relative. Includes appendix by Syd Fox with information about bridge.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible