Thinking of Answers: Questions in the…

Thinking of Answers: Questions in the Philosophy of Everyday Life

by A. C. Grayling

I really liked this book, however I didn't finish it. I borrowed this from the TAFE Library, but the format of the book is questions posed and short(ish) answers. It's not really a book to sit and read through from cover to cover ans in this way is similar to one of the author's other work, the Secular Bible. It is a lot better to dip in and read just one and then spend time considering the answer and your own opinion. So, one to buy not to borrow. ( )
  lauren.castan | Apr 3, 2013 |
We bark our shins against the stones of life with sufficient frequency, whoever we are and wherever we live — even in peaceful and prosperous parts of the world — to find ourselves obliged to seek answers to the philosophical questions that such bruising prompts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0802719724, Paperback)

In his acclaimed columns in the London Times and Prospect, A. C. Grayling often responds to provocative questions posed by editors and readers. These questions serve as the basis for the essays in Thinking of Answers, among them searching examinations of the following:

· Are human beings especially prone to self-deception?

· If beauty existed only in the eye of the beholder, would that make it an unimportant quality?

· Are human rights political?

· Can ethics be derived from evolution by natural selection?

· If both sides in a conflict passionately believe theirs is a just cause, does this mean the idea of justice is empty?

· Does being happy make us good? And does being good make us happy?

As in his previous books on philosophy for the general public, including Meditations for the Humanist and Life, Sex and Ideas, rather than presenting a set of categorical answers, Grayling offers suggestions for how to think about every aspect of the question at hand and arrive at one's own conclusion. Nobody can read Thinking of Answers without being fully engaged, for Grayling challenges with his intellect and inspires with his humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

As in his previous books of popular philosophy, including the best-selling "The Reason of Things and The Meaning of Things", rather than presenting a set of categorical answers to philosophical questions, Grayling offers instead suggestions for how to think about every aspect of the question, and arrive at one's own conclusions.… (more)

5 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,358,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible