Death Cloud by Andrew Lane

Death Cloud (edition 2011)

by Andrew Lane, Dan Weyman (Narrator)

Member:Rickmaniac
Title:Death Cloud
Authors:Andrew Lane
Other authors:Dan Weyman (Narrator)
Info:St Martins Pr (2011), Audio CD
Tags:young adult fiction

Death Cloud (Sherlock Holmes: the Legend Begins) by Andrew Lane

My views on this novel are incredibly mixed. As a mystery novel, I did not think it was too bad. Although the conclusion was a little out-there, it was well written, made coherent sense and didn't take any huge leaps in logic. If it had just been a Victorian murder mystery, I would have had no real problems with it at all.

However, the novel is intended to be a Sherlock Holmes story and because if this it has a few problems. The character of Sherlock was a little too flat and uninteresting for my taste. As his abilities were mostly taught by his summer tutor, it felt as though it removed some of his brilliance. The Holmes of this story was not a genius, he was merely an ordinary boy with a good memory.

The novel was entertaining enough and I can certainly see why people enjoy it, but I just felt that with a bit more work it could have been so much better. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
How did Sherlock Holmes become the great detective? Lane explores this question with a teen Sherlock. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, especially the supporting characters and the first mystery - involving bees - was intriguing. ( )
  hoosgracie | Feb 19, 2014 |
A continuation of the life and education of the young Sherlock Holmes. He has adventures with his tutor who is an American, his daughter and his friend who lives on a narrow boat. An enjoyable series for those not very familiar with the mysteries of Sherlock Holmes and a good read with lots of clues to the personality of the "original" and older Sherlock. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 16, 2014 |
Yes, yes, I ought to like it because I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan. I used to drift up to the second level of my high school library, and read Holmes stories while sneaking forbidden snacks out of my backpack. But it's hard to take this book seriously. Not because of the silliness of the schemes of the master villain, because there are some pretty outré plots in the Conan Doyle canon. Not because of the preteen romance intrusion, because I realize I am old and jaded and therefore must be forgiving of innocent blushing kisses. I simply found the young hero an improbable youthful version of Holmes--so callow, so obtuse. I also saw plot holes you could steer a barge through. How did Matty get the bicycles? Why does Mycroft spend hours in a carriage with Sherlock, but only think to warn him about the evil housekeeper in a letter? Who carefully padlocks a barn you're going to burn down, and what teenager can push a cart with such force that it goes through a wall? How did Sherlock magically learn to ride a horse by listening to a 15-second description? Why doesn't anybody steal Matty's horse? What is the reason no one ever summons any legal authorities? Would Sherlock's uncle not have summoned police assistance even after an attempt on his nephew's life? Bah. I will admit that some of this effect could be the effect of listening to, rather than reading, the text. I didn't care for the narrator's version of a young girl's voice. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
In this first book in a series about Sherlock Holmes as a teenager, he is sent to stay with relatives during a school vacation. Two mysterious deaths occurred, and with the help of a street-wise friend, his tutor and his tutor's daughter, Sherlock solves the mystery, facing great personal peril. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Dec 30, 2013 |

Andrew Laneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weyman, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In 1868, with his army officer father suddenly posted to India, and his mother mysteriously "unwell," fourteen-year-old Sherlock Holmes is sent to stay with his eccentric uncle and aunt in their vast house in Hampshire, where he uncovers his first murder and a diabolical villain.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible