Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia

English (92)  Italian (1)  All languages (93)
This is the sequel to Beautiful Creatures and returns the reader to Gatlin and the continuing relationship between Ethan and Lena. As Lena draws closer to her 18th birthday Ethan finds she is pulling further and further away from him. Understanding that she is fearful she is going to become a dark caster he nonetheless cannot let her slip away.

This book will definitely appeal to those readers who enjoyed Beautiful Creatures. Ms. Garcia introduces a few new characters, interestingly fleshes out some characters from the first book and leads the reader through some twists and turns before the ending. Still not totally resolved, I foresee another installment in this series.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
A little slow at first but then the pace picked up.

This series is very much like a YA version of The Mayfair Chronices by Anne Rice. The Witching hour is a book is recommend if you like the Caster Chronicles. I'm curious if Rice's books were an inspiration to the authors of Beautiful Darkness

I'm not sure if I completely forgive Lena for her behavior. Nor do I understand why she is half dark? I haven't really seen that side of her. At least not to the extent of her being half dark. I just don't buy it, I don't know. I was surprised by the end. Never saw Link and Ridley changing quite so much.

I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of this series. Probably pretty soon, too! ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Why I Read This: I really enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, which is book 1 in the Caster Chronicles series, and wanted to know what happened next.

Characters: The characters in this book are really interesting and they each have their own distinct personalities. My favorite would definitely have to be Link. He was a very minor character in the first book, but he is a big part of the second. He is a very fun character and I find myself laughing out loud to certain things he says throughout the book. Ethan, the main character, is also a pretty cool guy. He is very smart and sweet, but not as entertaining as Link. He has a very important role in the Caster world that, at first, he was a little tentative to believe. He eventually excepts this big responsibility and uses it to his advantage. The only character I don't really like is Lena, and I know she goes through some hard things throughout the book and there wouldn't even be The Caster Chronicles without her, but she just annoys me. She's always complaining and feeling sorry for herself which just makes me want to skip the parts she's in. She does get less annoying at the end, but not enough to make me change my mind about her.

Relatability: This book is very relatable because of the normal things the teenage characters face. Yes, the book is filled with Dark and Light Casters, Incubus' and a whole bunch of other supernatural beings, but that's not all it's about. It's a story about love, lose and friendship which are three topics anyone can relate to.

Cover: I really like this cover. It's simple, yet gives us an inside look to the story inside the book. I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be a picture of the Tunnels which is the main setting for the story.

Overall Impression: The beginning dragged on a bit which is why I had to take away 1/2 a star, but after the action-y things started to happen, I couldn't put the book down! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
* Spoilers for Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1) below - that review is here *

Small-town Gatlin, South Carolina was the town that never changed. It was the town Ethan Wate grew up in and where he thought he knew what to expect - from the Civil War reenactments to the mean girls at school to the DAR women. But then Lena Duchannes came along and changed everything.

Now Ethan knows about supernatural beings and that Amma's little charms aren't just things that humor her - they actually serve a purpose.

But, after the events of Beautiful Creatures -suffering a great loss, Lena has changed and is withdrawing from Ethan. Magical things are still happening in Ethan and Lena's lives - and relationship - but now some, if not most, of those things are darker and Ethan's forced to figure them out without Lena.

With visions only he can see and more danger at every turn - plus the chance of losing Lena - Ethan will have to turn to new friends - and old friends in new ways.

I wouldn't have thought it possible but I do believe I loved Beautiful Darkness more than I loved Beautiful Creatures. While the first book set up who the characters were, what the supernatural elements were and how the characters, the supernatural, and the town all worked together, this sequel more than builds on that.

Beautiful Darkness is definitely an epic second novel. It goes way beyond the story of Lena and Ethan - while still focusing on them just the right amount. We learn a lot about each of the different characters in this second novel - not just the main characters, but also the secondary other characters and the parts they play in this Caster (and Mortal) world.

The World also really expands in Darkness. It's a big novel, both page wise and story wise. The characters do a lot and I found myself marveling at how the authors were able to come up with such a plot and keep it all straight. At times it's hard to completely follow just every single thing that's going on if you're not careful, but it all comes together so well that it's okay.

All of the developments in this were fantastic and the writing was marvelous (I loved having it as an ebook because I could highlight so much!). The Southern feeling of these novels is likely my favorite of any Southern Gothic/Southern Whatever novels I have ever read, I just loved the atmosphere these writers have created in this series.

(Look for a review of Dream Dark and Beautiful Chaos soon!)

Rating: 10/10
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |

Okay.

OMG THIS IS SO UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!!! MACON IS A-L-I-V-E!!!!!! WHAT THE WHAT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! LOVE THIS. I JUST HATE THAT LENA WAS SO FRAGILE AND VULNERABLE IN THIS BOOK!

BUT IT WAS GOOOOD. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I used to think our town, buried in the South Carolina backwoods, stuck in the muddy bottom of the Santee River Valley, was the middle of nowhere.

One night in the rain, Ethan Wate opened his eyes and fell in love with Lena Duchannes. His life would never be the same. Lena is a Caster and her family is locked in a supernatural civil war: full of darkness and demons. On her sixteenth birthday Lena made a terrifying choice, which now haunts her day and night. And as her seventeenth birthday approaches Lena and Ethan face even greater danger. A Caster and a Mortal can never truly be together. Every kiss is a curse. Ethan’s next heartbeat could be his last. It is their curse now . .

In a small southern town with a secret world hidden in plain sight, sixteen-year-old Lena, who possesses supernatural powers and faces a life-altering decision, draws away from her true love, Ethan, a mortal with frightening visions.

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,480,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible