Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia

English (87)  Italian (1)  All languages (88)
The Characters

Ethan, Lena, Link, Riddly, Marion, Liv, and a host of others. They go through a lot in this book. A lot a lot. Lena’s guilt, Ethan learns so much, Riddly and an un0named party go through huge transformations. The gang really goes through the ringer. In the end they are all different but okay, I think. I suppose time will tell.

The Story

Like I said about a lot happens in this book. I won’t even try to sum it all up. I’ll just say that I was interested, intrigued and surprised throughout my time in Gatlin. Things are very complicated and I think they will get more so in the near future. I think Ethan and Lena will handle it well as long as they stick together.

The Random Thoughts

This is difficult to write as the problem I have with audiobooks is that I’m often listening to them while driving so I can’t make notes or reread anything and I’m totally dependent on my terrible memory. :-(

I’m left with the impression that Riddly is still up to no good.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 14, 2014 |
This is the second book in the caster chronicles so if you haven't seen my Beautiful Creatures review or have not read the book than please do so before you read the rest of this post.

About a two weeks a go I posted a review for the first book in this series.

My problems I had in that book was the lag in the story line and the character Lena.

In this one I felt that there wasn't really any lag and even the over load of information from the first book was necessary for the plot line of this book and this series. A lot of the mysteries from the first book are solved as well as a whole bunch of new problems are brought out and new questions enter the story.

On to Lena. Hmm for Lena I really am indifferent I really don't love her or hate her. One second she does something stupid the next I feel for her. All and all I guess I have a love-hate relationship for her. Ethan on the other hand I really LOVE I love that his character is evolving and growing. While Lena kinda feels flat to me.

My favorite character for this book is Liv (just because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the second book yet) Liv is a new character in the second book who becomes really important to the plot line. She is British and studying to be a Keeper. What book isn't awesome with a little British humor?

I really liked this book and plan to continue the series soon. I have the third book and will read it sometime soon. I hope the third book is just as awesome as this one if not even better.

My Rating 4.5/5
Lena is what made this book not 5 stars for me ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
Mixed feelings about this book. I like the development it took, especially with a lot of the supporting characters, such as Link, Ridley, Macon, and the "Sisters". Even the cat, Lucielle, surprised me in the most pleasant way. Detail in story telling was amazing. Very well done with good driving emotion with humor to flush it out.

However, I was angry almost the entire book through. With the focus on a decision Lena has to make, I was mentally screaming at her each time the plight was mentioned as it was a decision I felt I could have made in an instant in the previous book, all heartbreak accounted for. And, after the Claiming event in this decision, it felt worse in that the matter was still unresolved. That could have been handled better, I think. The antagonists already create drive for the third book, so for Lena to continually straddle the fence between Dark and Light seems a bit overkill. While I identified with Lena during Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness just seemed to making her self-pitying, self-loathing and that is just something I hate above all in anyone, fiction or real. ( )
  MoonSpider | Aug 21, 2014 |
A pathetic moping hero,a stupid,arrogant,tantrum throwing heroine and never ending series of magical tunnels.....That's what all this book is about.

This book is irritating and stretchy.I just don't understand why the authors wasted so many pages on either Ethan moping around or Lena throwing tantrums.The story just went in circles never reaching the main plot.All these pages are completely unnecessary.It could have easily ended in half the pages of its actual length.
Only substantial things that happened in this book were in the last 100 pages.One could easily skipped some middle parts of the book and still would understand everything.

And this Lena and her coming moon and her choosing side is really getting on my nerves.Why can't she just choose one side and get it over with?What is so hard about it?Just say light or dark and finish the damn claiming already.But no,she had to say something weird to keep the story going.If they are going to do another coming moon and another claiming in the next book,I will have to throw the book away.

The only good thing about the book is my favorite character Macon is back.And the most interesting character in the book is the "Cat".I just hate to give any book 1 star and that's the only reason I gave it two stars. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
I really don't think I will continue reading this series. While there were things I liked about the first book, this one didn't really bring anything new to the table or make me like the series any more than my previously lukewarm feelings. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I used to think our town, buried in the South Carolina backwoods, stuck in the muddy bottom of the Santee River Valley, was the middle of nowhere.

One night in the rain, Ethan Wate opened his eyes and fell in love with Lena Duchannes. His life would never be the same. Lena is a Caster and her family is locked in a supernatural civil war: full of darkness and demons. On her sixteenth birthday Lena made a terrifying choice, which now haunts her day and night. And as her seventeenth birthday approaches Lena and Ethan face even greater danger. A Caster and a Mortal can never truly be together. Every kiss is a curse. Ethan’s next heartbeat could be his last. It is their curse now . .

In a small southern town with a secret world hidden in plain sight, sixteen-year-old Lena, who possesses supernatural powers and faces a life-altering decision, draws away from her true love, Ethan, a mortal with frightening visions.

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,926,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible