Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia
1,435None5,254 (3.88)50
2010 (7) 2013 (8) Book 2 (10) Caster Chronicles (13) Casters (13) ebook (16) family (7) fantasy (76) fiction (50) friendship (8) gothic (9) Kindle (10) love (13) magic (41) own (9) paranormal (42) paranormal romance (8) read (7) romance (40) series (22) South Carolina (12) southern (11) southern gothic (16) supernatural (28) teen (16) to-read (52) urban fantasy (13) witches (28) YA (42) young adult (73)

English (78)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
Still loving Ethan's voice, even with his thoughts being a bit more melancholy and darker. The story itself is a lot darker than the original and more adventurous.

Lena is consumed with guilt after the events of her sixteenth birthday, she becomes withdrawn, avoids Ethan and unbeknownst to him she begins to shift into a darker mood. Ethan is still in the dark about what actually happened the night of Lena's birthday, that her mother Sarafina killed him and that Lena and Amma brought him back using the Book of Moons. As Lena starts to slip away from Ethan, he wonders if it's all worth it and maybe he should go back to trying to get out of Gatlin and step away from the Caster world. Ethan quickly learns that he has been a part of the magical world of Casters and Incubuses all along, in fact, he was probably born to be a part of it. So Lena's attempts to keep out of her life for his own safety as been in vain. When Ethan realizes there's no avoiding his destiny he sets out to make things right for Lena again, even if she doesn't want him to.

I believe Lena's confusion and guilt doesn't make things easy for those trying to help her, in actuality she makes things more difficult. I really wish she would stop being so gloomy and realize she needs to help herself first and not stand by and watch everyone help her.

Link is still a "character", I can't get enough of him, he definitely adds the comic relief and the sisters, they continue to boggle the mind. Speaking of boggling the mind, Ridley, she makes me off kilter, I think I can always judge a character right away or at least eventually but, every time I think I figure her out she goes and confuses me again. Love the new addition of characters, they added that extra layer to the story. Are they bad? Are they good? But they definitely added some interesting conflicts to Lena and Ethan's relationship.

This installment of the Caster Chronicles was such an adventure, and very mesmerizing, can only imagine how beautiful the scenery and sights must be. Really enjoyed this book and continue to be bewitched by the series. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
Random Thoughts

Excellent 2nd book in a series, and we know that this fact is pretty surprising, most second books suck
Fast paced and funny as hell
Excellent narator
Plenty of surprises that you didn't see coming
Thoroughly enjoyed the addition of Olivia
Two Librarian main characters
Still get a kick that the Librarian's name is Marion and she is a kick ass Librarian - yup a female Giles
Enjoyed the glimpses into the past of certain characters
On many occasions while walking the dog I would laugh my ass off while walking the dog and listening to this - even everyday chores were made better by listening to this
My favorite thing about this series is the characters. I enjoyed each and everyone of them - including the bad guys
Okay the angsty stuff really irritated the heck out of me -- but hey I am a 43 yr old women who has been married for 20 years
Wanted to smack Lena on many occasions
I adore Link - love the strong friendship between him and Ethan
As soon as I finished listening to the 2nd book, I immediately downloaded the thirs
Honestly I think this would be a hard one to read due to the writing style, but listening to it has been a blast

Favorite Quotes

“High school sucked. It was a universal truth, and whoever said these were supposed to be the best years of your life was probably drunk or delusional.”

“A vegetarian? Are you insane? That's worse than bein' a quarter demon!”

“So he's like a human compass? As far as superpowers go, that's pretty lame. You're like the Caster equivalent of Aquaman.”

4 Dewey's

I borrowed this from the Calgary Public Library and am not required to review but hey, you know I have to share ( )
  mountie9 | Jan 4, 2014 |
I just finished reading Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It's about a caster named Lena who has evaded her sixteenth moon claiming by blocking out the moon. This book is about her running away thinking that she is going to turn evil. Ethan doesn't believe she is so he goes to find her and stop her from making a big mistake. It is also about everybody dealing with an important person's death. The death is the reason Lena thinks she is turning evil.

I personally really enjoyed this book. I got hooked on this series about midway through the first book, Beautiful Creatures. I personally feel that Beautiful Darkness was way better and more understandable than Beautiful Creatures was. Maybe that's because of all the explaining in Beautiful Creatures though. This book had a lot of dramatic turns and twists that I never saw coming. I personally loved that. It literally kept me on edge until the very end of the book.

There are a few things I don't like about the book. I personally feel that they passed over a few things that they should of explained better. Also the afterward is in somebody elses' point of view when it's been in Ethan's from the very beginning. That kind of threw me off a bit, and made me wonder if there's a reason behind that. I still think that this series should have been told in both Lena and Ethan's point of view. I think it would have been more dramatic and page turning. That's just my opinion though. I also don't like how Ethan is constantly talking about blue ceilings and carpenter bees. It's funny the first time, but then it just gets really redundant.

I would recommend this book series to any person who is into books about magical people. Especially those types that involve drama and suspense. It's really targeted at a young adult audience, but I think just about anybody would enjoy reading it. However, I do not recommend reading this book until you read Beautiful Creatures. You will not understand what's going on unless you read the first book. ( )
  PricilliaDragomir | Dec 26, 2013 |

Okay.

OMG THIS IS SO UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!!! MACON IS A-L-I-V-E!!!!!! WHAT THE WHAT!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! LOVE THIS. I JUST HATE THAT LENA WAS SO FRAGILE AND VULNERABLE IN THIS BOOK!

BUT IT WAS GOOOOD. ( )
  sheshethefangirl | Dec 19, 2013 |

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I used to think our town, buried in the South Carolina backwoods, stuck in the muddy bottom of the Santee River Valley, was the middle of nowhere.

One night in the rain, Ethan Wate opened his eyes and fell in love with Lena Duchannes. His life would never be the same. Lena is a Caster and her family is locked in a supernatural civil war: full of darkness and demons. On her sixteenth birthday Lena made a terrifying choice, which now haunts her day and night. And as her seventeenth birthday approaches Lena and Ethan face even greater danger. A Caster and a Mortal can never truly be together. Every kiss is a curse. Ethan’s next heartbeat could be his last. It is their curse now . .

In a small southern town with a secret world hidden in plain sight, sixteen-year-old Lena, who possesses supernatural powers and faces a life-altering decision, draws away from her true love, Ethan, a mortal with frightening visions.

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible