Vervloekt / druk 1 by Kami Garcia

Vervloekt / druk 1 (edition 2011)

by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Louise Staal (Translator)

Title:Vervloekt / druk 1
Authors:Kami Garcia
Other authors:Margaret Stohl, Louise Staal (Translator)
Info:House of Books B.V. (2011), Hardcover

Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia

English (94)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
In a small southern town with a secret world hidden in plain sight, sixteen-year-old Lena, who possesses supernatural powers and faces a life-altering decision, draws away from her true love, Ethan, a mortal with frightening visions.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
Actual Rating: 10/5

HOLY GUACAMOLE!! Whoever read the first book, Beautiful Creatures, and decided against reading this second book missed out! Beautiful Darkness is one of those books that has you going chapter to chapter NEEDING to know what happens next! There were SO many brilliantly shocking moments, after the first few you had to wonder if this was all the book had to offer BUT IT KEEPS SHOCKING! I, personally, adored the first book. I can admit though, it was a little slow to read at times, but none the less, it will always be a favorite of mine. This book isn't like that. It's a very fast, exciting read from beginning to end. The first book was all about getting to know Ethan and Lena and their details of their families and Gatlin, etc. This book, the second, is all about where they go from there and what a ride these ladies take us on!

Can I just keyboard scream for a second: WHY AREN'T THEY CONTINUING THIS AS A MOVIE?!?! I wanna see this on film sooooo bad with the same actors, the same director, UGHHH! Pull on my heart strings why don't you?! :'''[

Let me just point out how much I love Ethan Wate:

Gramma stepped in front of Lena, closed her eyes, and touched a single finger to her granddaughter's cheek. The moment she touched Lena, everything stopped, and I knew Gramma had used her abilities as an Empath to absorb Lena's powers temporarily. But she couldn't absorb Lena's anger. None of us were strong enough to do that.

Bahahaha, can anyone else relate to this? I know I have my moments XD

This book is a fun adventure from the first page to the last. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't picked it up. So if you haven't, DO IT, DO IT MEOW! I can't wait to see what the third book, Beautiful Chaos has in store for me :D I want to read it ASAP but I'm waiting until I get back from traveling for a few days because I want to give this book my FULL attention and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to read or how many times I'll be interrupted. That's how much I want to read the next book. It's NEEDS my full attention
** To See My FULL Review Visit: The Nerdy Bookmark - A Not-So-Serious Book Review Blog ( )
  kay_reads | Nov 17, 2015 |
This is the sequel to Beautiful Creatures and returns the reader to Gatlin and the continuing relationship between Ethan and Lena. As Lena draws closer to her 18th birthday Ethan finds she is pulling further and further away from him. Understanding that she is fearful she is going to become a dark caster he nonetheless cannot let her slip away.

This book will definitely appeal to those readers who enjoyed Beautiful Creatures. Ms. Garcia introduces a few new characters, interestingly fleshes out some characters from the first book and leads the reader through some twists and turns before the ending. Still not totally resolved, I foresee another installment in this series.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
A little slow at first but then the pace picked up.

This series is very much like a YA version of The Mayfair Chronices by Anne Rice. The Witching hour is a book is recommend if you like the Caster Chronicles. I'm curious if Rice's books were an inspiration to the authors of Beautiful Darkness

I'm not sure if I completely forgive Lena for her behavior. Nor do I understand why she is half dark? I haven't really seen that side of her. At least not to the extent of her being half dark. I just don't buy it, I don't know. I was surprised by the end. Never saw Link and Ridley changing quite so much.

I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of this series. Probably pretty soon, too! ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Why I Read This: I really enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, which is book 1 in the Caster Chronicles series, and wanted to know what happened next.

Characters: The characters in this book are really interesting and they each have their own distinct personalities. My favorite would definitely have to be Link. He was a very minor character in the first book, but he is a big part of the second. He is a very fun character and I find myself laughing out loud to certain things he says throughout the book. Ethan, the main character, is also a pretty cool guy. He is very smart and sweet, but not as entertaining as Link. He has a very important role in the Caster world that, at first, he was a little tentative to believe. He eventually excepts this big responsibility and uses it to his advantage. The only character I don't really like is Lena, and I know she goes through some hard things throughout the book and there wouldn't even be The Caster Chronicles without her, but she just annoys me. She's always complaining and feeling sorry for herself which just makes me want to skip the parts she's in. She does get less annoying at the end, but not enough to make me change my mind about her.

Relatability: This book is very relatable because of the normal things the teenage characters face. Yes, the book is filled with Dark and Light Casters, Incubus' and a whole bunch of other supernatural beings, but that's not all it's about. It's a story about love, lose and friendship which are three topics anyone can relate to.

Cover: I really like this cover. It's simple, yet gives us an inside look to the story inside the book. I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be a picture of the Tunnels which is the main setting for the story.

Overall Impression: The beginning dragged on a bit which is why I had to take away 1/2 a star, but after the action-y things started to happen, I couldn't put the book down! ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
I used to think our town, buried in the South Carolina backwoods, stuck in the muddy bottom of the Santee River Valley, was the middle of nowhere.

One night in the rain, Ethan Wate opened his eyes and fell in love with Lena Duchannes. His life would never be the same. Lena is a Caster and her family is locked in a supernatural civil war: full of darkness and demons. On her sixteenth birthday Lena made a terrifying choice, which now haunts her day and night. And as her seventeenth birthday approaches Lena and Ethan face even greater danger. A Caster and a Mortal can never truly be together. Every kiss is a curse. Ethan’s next heartbeat could be his last. It is their curse now . .

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,942,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible