Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer

Beachcombers

by Nancy Thayer

This is a good choice if you are looking for a light beach read. I liked how the book was told through the perspective of four different women. Some parts of the book were unrealistic but still enjoyable. ( )
  GJessica | Jul 3, 2013 |
Beachcombers is told from the perspective of 4 different characters over the course of a summer in Nantucket. All of these women are at different stages of their lives, two have just suffered unimaginable heartbreak, and each has some life-changing event occur during this summer when their lives intertwine.

I liked this book a lot, except it made me want to go on vacation really, really bad. I thought the story was well-written, and provided colorful descriptions of both the people and the places in the novel. This is the first Nancy Thayer book I have read, and I have already checked another one out of the library.

However, there were a few things that made me rate this book only 3 out of 5 stars:
1. The character of Lily drove me INSANE. I could not stand the fact that despite being 22 years old, she still whined, refused to take responsibility, was selfish and self-centered, and overall very immature and childish.
2. There were a LOT of ups and downs in this book. Just when you thought everything was ok, something drastically changed that situation almost immediately.
3. Since none of the inner monologues of the male characters were ever told, I always felt like the guys were 'playing' the girls in the story- I was always expecting more heartbreak (probably from all of the Nicholas Sparks books I read).

Overall, I enjoyed this story, even if it did leave me feeling a bit of wanderlust. I can't wait to read more from Nancy Thayer! ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | Jun 21, 2013 |
Abbie Fox hasn't seen her father or two younger sisters in almost two years, during which she has jetted around the world and experienced life, if not love. But now Lily, the baby of the family, is sending Abbie urgent emails begging her to return home to Nantucket. Their middle sister, Emma, has taken to her bed, emotionally devastated both by the loss of her high-powered stockbroker's job and a shockingly unexpected break-up with her fiance. Also, Lily is deeply worried that Marina, the beautiful, enigmatic woman currently renting their guesthouse, has set her sights on the sisters' widowed father, Jim. The Fox girls had closed ranks many years ago after the haunting, untimely death of their mother, but seeing their dad move on with his life forces each of them to take stock.

Over the course of the summer, the sisters' lives grow as turbulent as the unpredictable currents which encircle Nantucket. When Abbie encounters an incredibly appealing married man, she breaks her own rules in the name of love, fearing all the while that she'll regret it. Meanwhile, type-A Emma learns a new definition of success, and strong-minded Lily must reconcile her dreams with reality. Even Marina, who came to Nantucket to forget heartbreak and betrayal, faces an astonishing turn of events that will find her torn between fate and freedom. At summer's end, these unforgettable women will face profound choices - and undergo personal transformations that will surprise even themselves.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was immediately drawn into the plot of a story that, in my opinion, was told by a born storyteller. I may have five books - perhaps several more than that - by Nancy Thayer already sitting on my bookshelf, however I think that Beachcombers: A Novel is the first book that I've read by this author. I may have read another book by Nancy Thayer in the very distant past, but I can't really remember. Anyway, I give this book a definite A+! and am placing it on my 'Bookshelf of Keepers' to read again at some point. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jun 15, 2013 |
Book about three sisters and their summer romances. silly little book, really, but kind of a fun little read. ( )
  csobolak | May 6, 2013 |
I received this advanced copy through the Goodreads 'first reads' program. I enjoyed this book and would give it a 3-1/2 stars if that were possible. This was a good, light story....perfect for an easy summer read. It is fun and with a happy ending, but it is not 'deep'. It would make a good 'Lifetime' movie. The story is about 3 Nantucket sisters who lost their mother 15 years ago, while they were still children. Their father has rented their former playhouse, converted to a cottage, for the summer to a woman who has recently divorced, and he becomes intrested in the woman. The sisters are leery of this. Each sister is unattached when they return to the Island, and, being a good summer story, relationships blossom for all 4 women. Kind of a 'boy meets girl' story......times 4. Though much of it is unrealistic....everything falls into place quickly and neatly...the happy endings are what make these kind of stories fun to read. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

- - e.e. cummings, "maggie and milly and molly and may"
For Martha Foshee
The best sister in the world!
"Look," their mother said to them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345518284, Hardcover)

Elin Hilderbrand Reviews Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer

Elin Hilderbrand is the author of The Island, forthcoming in July 2010, as well as the New York Times bestseller, The Castaways. She lives on Nantucket with her husband Chip and their three children. Read her review of Beachcombers:

To quote some really old, really good Lionel Richie, Nancy Thayer’s newest novel, Beachcombers, is easy like a Sunday morning. It’s the kind of book you can trust to fulfill all your expectations; it will leave you feeling optimistic and satisfied. It is a cinnamon-colored cat kind of a novel; it is a hot mug of ginger tea kind of a novel.

The book tells the story of the Fox family-–father Jim, who has lost his wife to depression/suicide-–and his three lovely daughters. The daughters congregate in the family home on Nantucket Island when the middle daughter, Emma, suffers a broken engagement and the loss of her job and savings. Older sister Abbie flies home from London where she has been working as an au pair, and Lily, the spoiled daughter, done as well as Amy March, gets her very pretty feathers ruffled when Abbie and Emma bond over her head, leaving her out, even though she is the one daughter who has remained on the island at home with their father. Also on the scene this summer is renter Marina, who is reeling from one of those hideous heart-rending shocks-–after trying to have a baby with her husband for years, her husband confesses that he in love with her best friend and not only that but the best friend is pregnant. Thankfully, Jim Fox is just what the cardiologist ordered.

Thayer documents the girls’ return home to the island they love beautifully. I have lived on Nantucket for seventeen years myself and I found that in reading Thayer’s novel it was at once familiar and brand new. The three girls start an odd jobs business called Nantucket Mermaids and Thayer has these girls hopping-–from landscaping in the morning to reading to the elderly in the afternoon to babysitting at night. Just reading this novel, I was exhausted--and impressed-–and boy did I sympathize when youngest daughter Lily didn’t find time to make it to the grocery store! The odd jobs put the girls in position to meet new leading men, and they all do, though a seasoned reader wonders if they’re not moving a bit too fast. It’s not a worry that sticks, however. In Thayer’s expert hands, you just know that even if the relationships don’t last, her charming and self-aware characters are going to be just fine.

Nancy Thayer on Beachcombers

Twenty-seven years ago, I’d been divorced for three years. I lived with my small son and daughter, our two cats and one dog, in a Massachusetts college town. I’d dated a bit, unsuccessfully, and I was feeling so pessimistic about romance that I decided I’d forget men and buy a horse. Seriously.

Then I came to Nantucket for the first time to visit a friend, and I met a friend of hers--a man named Charley, tall, blue-eyed, kind, who read books and owned a record store. We sat up all night talking, and now we’ve been married twenty-five years.

Since then I’ve believed in the healing power of this island. And also in the healing power of change. Of taking a chance. Of dragging ourselves out of our pity pit and trying something new.

In Beachcombers, Marina comes to the island to heal. She meets a wonderful man--and she meets his three adult daughters, who are dealing with their own fears, losses, and desires. Emma has lost her fiancé, her job, her plans, her dreams. She’s come home defeated, hopeless and apathetic. Lily, the baby, wants glamour and excitement and pretty clothes. She also wants someone else to do the dishes. Abbie, at thirty, the oldest, has been the nurturer ever since their mother died when Abbie was fifteen and Lily was only seven. Abbie hasn’t had a chance to consider what she wants, and she’s surprised when she finds that what she wants is a man who’s already taken.

Healing isn’t an easy process, and change isn’t easy either, as the sisters and Marina discover. The four women strive and dream and discover that life has surprises in store for them. It’s like beachcombing--you never can guess what’s going to be lying there, waiting for you. Or whether you’re going to be brave enough to take what life offers, or strong enough to take it all. Only seashells on the beach can be lifted away easily and free.

I’ve dedicated this book to my younger sister, Martha, who has always been so important in my life. I’m fascinated by sisters, and by families. It seems that those we struggle with are often the ones who also heal us--and who care that we are healed. There are many kinds of romantic and family love in Beachcombers, as in life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:26 -0400)

Reuniting on Nantucket to start a business and keep an eye on their father's new romance, three sisters work, gossip, and squabble while struggling with respective approaches to their responsibilities and losses.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible