Rapture by Lauren Kate

Rapture

by Lauren Kate

Series: Fallen (4)

beh... mi aspettavo di più. lettura molto leggera. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Well. Wow. This book was a complete surprise. (probably because the description was a little misleading, but whatever)
Okay, so the beginning was a little boring (I thought) but it got interesting. I’m not sure if I can pinpoint the exact pace where I became invested in this story, but I think it was sometime around when we met Dee.
Phil! Cam! Arriane!
About page three hundred fifty of this book is when we first hit the climax, and then the climax lasts til the end. The epilogue, a little.
The climax consists of this book nullifying the entire series. Like, seriously, we hit the climax and EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE SERIES SO FAR BECOMES POINTESS.
Disappointing, a little. But good. It was strange, because I was excited and happy and sad and angry all at the same time.
Yeah.
Some really cheesy moments that make you go “Aww.”
Back to page three hundred and fifty. See, it was actually page 353 when I started saying “No” over and over and over again for the next five pages. Five pages later what I’d been saying “no” about and not wantin to happen? It happened. Because Luce is the main character, and by God, if she’s gonna nullify the entire series, she’ll have to become real damn special to do it! (and by special, I mean like nearly every other character in the series.)
Once that happens and she starts getting all her memories back, it’s actually pretty damn easy to guess who her “first” love was.
I know what you’re saying. *Gasp!* you mean Daniel wasn’t her first and only love?
No. no, sadly, he was not. And before you ask, it wasn’t Cam, either. Nope, but if I told you what happened, you’d most definitely be able to guess.
But I’m telling you, cuz that would be a total spoiler. Lucinda=Lucifer. It’s really NOT hard to guess at all.
Remember what I said about the description being misleading? I’ll go more into depth about that.

For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel.

Okay, the way the book was written, I can see this as possibly representing a true statement, if you tit your head to the right and squint your eyes.
Actually, no. this line is A TOTAL LIE. A TOTAL FREAKING LIE. IF SHE WAS MEANT TO BE WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN DANIEL, THAN SHE WOULD’VE ENDED UP WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN DANIEL.
THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT.

Despite, I thought this book was a good comeback after the train wreck that was PASSION. The ending… well, I never like endings, but as endings go, this one was better than most, because the ending was more of a beginning than an ending.
Okay, there are kind of two epilogues to this book. The second one I’m pretty sure was put there so that we knew what happened to people other than Luce and Daniel (i.e. Are our angel friends watching over them?)
I think it was unnecessary, the first last chapter was a good ending, and the epilogue just dragged it out and now I want more but, sadly, that was the end of the series.
*Grrr* epilogue.
I suppose I was also hoping for Penn to get a little justification, if luce and Daniel got reincarnated, couldn’t Penn have, too? but she wasn’t, really. She was mentioned plenty.
Overall, this was a good book that I have mixed feelings about because I’m weird and I can’t decide if I’m happy or sad or excited or angry.
At the end of the day, whenever a story ends, I end up feeling like there’s an emptiness left behind in me, because there are these characters, this world I’ve grown to love, and after that last page is turned, they just stop.
And that makes me sad.
I’ve gotta go before I start crying.
Bye.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I think that the cover sold me this book because I’m so annoyed with Luce that I find myself unable to end the book. A lot of blah blah blah, indecision and stupidity. And slug pace story with pea brain really confused and overcharge of emotions that she can't even think properly just wondering and sulk.

After finishing:
Meh...it was predictable and well, hard to finish, I lost interest in the plot... ( )
  neosofia | Jun 19, 2018 |
Well, I guess I'm not a teenage girl so this was bound to leave me a little cold. The story was plodding and pedantic and really didn't hold my attention. I kept flicking forward to see how many more pages I had to go - not a sign of an enjoyable read. The ending was no surprise, I had figured it out long before this book. To be honest I only read it because I had read the first three and felt compelled to see it through. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
Done! Finally.. and what really got me is that there were EPIC parts of the ending. I WISH that she had pulled that throughout the other books. There was SO MUCH potential! *sigh* Give me a minute to gather my thoughts about this one. I'm walking away from the keyboard...

Ms. Kate was able to wrap her series well, and in fact I found the epilogue sweet. My main problem with the series was twofold. First, the last few chapters of the 4th installment were EPIC (I mean that in the best sense of the word). I mean God, Herself, makes an appearance and confronts all the angels/ deamons etc. And that’s the problem, the rest of the series didn’t live up to the EPIC nature of those few chapters. The sense of URGENCY was lost – obviously in the first the OTHERS had no idea if this was the same old story or not. Once they realized that the potential for change was there, NONE of them displayed a modicum of desperation or even a “let’s help Luce along” with her memories thing. NOT to mention ALL of the potential enemies that came to nothing. Very little in the way of killing Luce or attempting to kill her- yea, yea, I know that first book had some stuff and the others had to protect her from threats that NEVER really arose in the second.

I think that’s what upsets me the most – the potential that was wasted. Think about this, Luce is attracted to a guy, but doesn’t know him, or his “friends” can she trust them? We went through her trust issues before, but this could be more sinister. A girl latches onto her when she arrives, but let’s be honest she seems off balance chemically. A cute guy tries to romance her and deceives her, and the guy she’s interested in flips her off… Danger, danger, danger! On top of which, if Cam did chose the Devil’s side, why wasn’t there pressure allied to him (Cam) to off Luce?!? (I know the truce for 18 days- but that was only 18 days.)

My other issue is the formula that this series utilized (you’ll also find the same one in Twilight, Hush Hush and I’m sure some others that I haven’t yet stumbled across).
Book 1: boy/girl meet
Boy shuns girl- she refuses to relent
Romance/romance
Girl gets attacked/almost killed- boy saves
Book 2: boy separates himself from girl for HER sake- never a good idea in these stories
Blah blah blah-

You get the drift, I’m sure I’m not the first to associate these series. It’s just disheartening that this formula was used so closely to the others. It’s not Ms. Kate’s fault. I recently took a screenwriting class and when I asked about the “heroine’s journey” I was given the “it’s circular” answer. Which is to say it was a crap answer. (Mind you we had spent SEVERAL hours on the male journey. No equal time here.) So how are female authors (or males for that matter) to draw fully formed female heroes without a model to mold them? There are a few books that do include female archetypes: [b:From Girl to Goddess The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend|7975102|From Girl to Goddess The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend|Valerie Estelle Frankel|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348824683s/7975102.jpg|12245916] and [b:45 Master Characters|665095|45 Master Characters|Victoria Lynn Schmidt|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1387720482s/665095.jpg|651153]. But it’s up to the authors to apply that knowledge.

After this series I need to take a break from YA. I never mean for any of these reviews to be harsh, it's just that I think that these stories should elevate the YA reader’s mind (imagination if nothing else), not rehash the same story over and over.

lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
For Jason—

without your love, nothing is possible.
First there was silence— In the space between Heaven and the Fall, deep in the unknowable distance, there was a moment when the glorious hum of Heaven disappeared and was replaced by a silence so profound that Daniel’s soul strained to make out any noise.

While searching for the place where the angels fell to earth to stop Lucifer from erasing the past, Luce and Daniel make a startling discovery about their love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible