Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman…

Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued

by Kim Meeder

45None255,173 (3.77)None

I liked reading the parts about the dog and what she was going through; however, I felt that the other parts droned on and on. It was ok for the author to explain the differences and similarities between the dog and the author and how they related to God, but she should have been more brief. When she kept going on and on about the differences and similarites it got boring, and I lost interest. I love reading about animals but this book was a disappointment.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. ( )
  reciperhon | Oct 12, 2012 |
Blind Hope is a story about a woman's religious awakening to the Christian god, and the dog she rescued was the catalyst. The authors follow Laurie's thoughts, emotions, and changes as she develops a relationship with the dog, Mia, and God.

The writing style was just on the edge of purple prose with many evocative descriptions of scenes. My favourite is describing a winter scene: “The frozen filigree embellished everything with its delicate crystal creations.” Many of the scene descriptions have this sort of embellishment.

Some may find the dialogue in this book superficial and extremely unrealistic. It was definitely more poetic and picturesque than I've ever heard anyone speak in my entire life. I often found myself wondering if people ever talked liked that. Others will find the dialogue profound and inspiring. All in all, the dialogue is around the healing power of unconditional love, whether from a god, pet or human being.

Another interesting feature of the book is on many of the pages there is a quote that has been taken out and highlighted in box with larger text. These quotes are often little tidbits of inspiration. This would be quite handy for those that would like to flip through quickly for a new quote to put on their bathroom mirror.

Sprinkled in the description of the woman's past are inaccurate portrayals of what life in non-Christian spheres can offer one. It is implied that Laurie is searching for unconditional love, but due to the nature of humanity, is unable and unwilling to stay long enough to let such a relationship develop. It is wise to keep in mind this is the perspective of someone that has run across a lot of “bad eggs” in a world that holds a several billion people and that not all alternative ways of life will be unfulfilling.

**Disclaimer**
I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one. ( )
  gconyers | Feb 24, 2011 |
This book is inspirational and challenging. Kim and Laurie tell a story that had me asking “How much do we really want to sacrifice to help others?” I loved Kim’s other 2 books—Hope Rising and A Bridge Called Hope—this one had a different feel to it, because it is about Laurie, one of the volunteers at Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch who became a member of the staff. The other books were about the children and horses they rescue at the ranch. Laurie, rescues a very sick, neglected dog who then helps her through a season of healing and personal growth. The lessons she learns, as she takes on the responsibility of nurturing this dog, hold valuable lessons for each of us.

Emotionally touching, Blind Hope is a good story for animal lovers and also for anyone who has questioned God about the tough stuff in their life. It can be read by teens and older children, and would be a great tool to use when teaching about animal rescue. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Jan 7, 2011 |
Wow. What an amazing testament to how God chooses to lead us on the right path. A woman, who reminds me a lot of myself, finds herself committing to taking in a dog she has never seen before. Once she sees the scruffy looking dog she isn’t so sure of her decision and takes the dog anyways because it’s the right thing to do. Through this book we get to look at the story between a dog and her new master. The trust it takes for a blind dog to listen and obey her master is much like we need to trust God.

I really related to a lot of Laurie’s experiences in her life. She really could have been writing about me. It is amazing how she equates how her blind dog is to trust a master un-seen to us having to trust our master un-seen. This book really tugged at my heartstrings and made me teary eyed more then once. This is one book that I will be hanging on to so that I can read it again.

Here is a quote from the book that really stood out to me:

“My dog isn’t teaching me to sit and stay, but to move forward in action—to trust, believe and listen. Before my eyes, Mia has demonstrated that is doesn’t matter if I can see what lies ahead of me. It only matters that I trust, believe and listen to the God who does.” ( )
  turningpages2011 | Jan 3, 2011 |
KIM MEEDER and LAURIE SACHER are very close friends. We can count Mia, the dog, as part of this friendship. One day Laurie adopts Mia. Little does Laurie does not come to grips with all the ways Mia is suffering until she's in the car driving back home with Mia. While driving home, Mia begins to realize she has rescued an animal with big health issues. "Falling silent again, Laurie glanced out into the forest. Emotion tightened her voice as she recounted her dog's losses, her pain." Since Laurie is close to Kim, she shares long, significant talks with her friend while they hike or horseback ride. Mia becomes the center of their conversations. These conversations always lead to God's heavenly hand in our personal lives.

Kim's understanding of broken animals makes her the perfect person for Laurie to talk to about Mia. Kim and her husband own a horse ranch named Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch. At the ranch Kim saves broken horses and wounded children. One incident is so profound. There is a child who has stopped talking because of her emotinal trauma. I can't imagine how it must feel to see a child not laughing, talking, laughing or sobbing loudly day after day after day. This child's state of being changes when she meets a broken horse. She whispers in his ear her secret sorrows. The horse stands still and "listens." In a matter of time a healing begins between the horse and child. The bond of pain begins to break their sorrow.

This is what Mia in BLIND HOPE will do for Laurie. She will take Laurie's broken places and make these places whole again proving that THE LORD is able to use any instrument for love and peace. Mia is suffering with many different ailments: blindness, diabetes, teeth problems, etc. Laurie begins not to take notice of Mia's bad breath and less than pretty face. Laurie focuses on new lessons of life from an unlikely source, a pet. Laurie shares all the lessons with her friend, Kim.

This deepened friendship between two women and one woman's deep love for her dog happens along the Oregon Coast. While reading, I fell completely in love with Oregon. It is not the first time I have read about the beauty of this state or heard about it from friends. Laurie says, "The Oregon Coast is such a powerful place for so many reasons. One of the things I love most about it is how incredibly dark it is at night. It's one of my favorite places to go star-spinning."

BLIND HOPE is a nonfiction gift about God's love for me during good times and bad. It seems He is always with me. He is in sweet control of what happens to me like a dog and its master. "My sweet blind dog has helped me understand that in every sorrow, fear, and loneliness, whether I could see him or not, God has always been with me."

During the days I read this book I would find myself in conversations where I had to repeat one particular lesson from the book. These words mean and will continue to mean so much to me in the future. "Everyone faces a time when that "someday" is today and that '"someone"....is you." ( )
  Tea58 | Dec 28, 2010 |

An unwanted dog. An emotional rescue. Reaching out to save a dog in need, Sacher soon realized that the dog was rescuing her. Despite the blindness of her dog--and her own heart--she uncovers what she really needed most: authentic love, unconditional trust, and true acceptance.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible