Olivia Goes to Venice by Ian Falconer

Olivia Goes to Venice

by Ian Falconer

Series: Olivia (6)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
Olivia books are great lessons for the classroom and can be lesson or conversation starters. In this book for a classroom setting it can be used to teach students about culture as well as comparing what life is like in America to Venice. Olivia travels with her family to Italy for vacation and she is in awe of how different life is. She hears that the city is often underwater and this is a great moment to explain how Venice was built. This book is designed to show children a different city/country outside of America. Wonderful book! ( )
  AshleySurbrook | Nov 22, 2018 |
Oliva Goes to Venice is a good book to read when teaching students about culture. It shows quite a few beautiful aspects of Venice. A teacher could also use this book for comparisons such as ice cream to gelato. Olivia is a super goofy character that kids would truly enjoy and she has many books. ( )
  MalloryGilbert | Mar 6, 2018 |
Not my favorite Olivia book, but oddly enough, it is my daughter's favorite. Not sure if it's all the gelato that gets eaten or what, but this one gets requested every day. ( )
  zazatz | Dec 19, 2017 |
Irrepressible porcine wonder Olivia returns in this, the sixth picture-book chronicling her madcap adventures. Setting off with her family for a vacation in Venice, Olivia has to be forced to leave her snorkel and flippers behind - the city is sometimes underwater, she tells her mother - enjoys being searched by security at the airport, and sets a frenetic pace once in the city of their destination. From eating lots of gelato to riding a gondola, Olivia and family do lots of typical Venetian things. But when selecting a souvenir, our piglet heroine chooses something with rather atypical results...

Although I have greatly enjoyed previous installments of Ian Falconer's Olivia series, in the end I found Olivia Goes to Venice somewhat wanting. It started out promisingly enough, with lots of Olivia humor - I loved the fact that our eponymous heroine enjoyed getting patted down at the airport! - and wonderful illustrations that join Falconer's usual charcoal and gouache artwork with sepia-toned photographs of Venice. The whole thing started to go south for me, however, when Olivia loots a brick from an important monument, leading to its total destruction. I understand that this was meant to be humorous - and, as always, humor is very idiosyncratic - but as a student of antiquity I couldn't help but cringe at the very idea of casually destroying an important artifact, structure, or work of art, simply to gain a souvenir. Sadly, this sort of cultural vandalism has had disastrous results, here in the real world, so the 'humor' of this plot point was a little thin for me. If you can overlook that aspect of the story, or even find it funny, then this will be an Olivia story to enjoy. Otherwise, I say give it a miss. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 8, 2017 |
This is another great Olivia book about a family trip to Venice. Olivia and her family experience Venice in wonder and awe. Olivia ponders a souvenir and leaves her mark. Venice will never be the same.
  annereid1 | Feb 12, 2017 |
To Shelia Perry, who first introduced me to the glories of Venice
It was time for spring vacation.

On a family vacation in Venice, Olivia indulges in gelato, rides in a gondola, and finds the perfect souvenir.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible