XVI by Julia Karr

XVI (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Julia Karr

Info:Speak (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2011, young adult, science fiction, library

XVI by Julia Karr (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (LAKobow)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Very similar plots.

Plot: The biggest reason I decided to give this book 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the plot. It was somewhat unique and kept me interested until the last couple of pages. The book is set in the future, but it’s a very different future than most people write about. It made me glad that I was born in this century and not 140 years into the future. But this was probably the only interesting aspect of the whole plot. Overall, the plot was very confusing and unorganized. Things just kept randomly happening and there was really no connection between them. Also, Nina was terrified of turning 16 from page one, but nothing ever happened that really explained why she was so scared. I thought this was going to be the major focus of the book, but it was barely ever covered unless Nina was complaining about it. At the end, I was just as confused as I was in the beginning and I feel that a second book is needed in order for us to understand and know everything the author wants us to because so many questions were left unanswered; not just for the reader, but also for Nina.

Characters: The characters were all pretty cool and they had the potential to be even better, however, they never reached that potential because the writing was just not there to help. I couldn’t connect with the characters and that really took away from the book. Something tragic happens to Nina’s family in the first couple of chapters, but I didn’t really feel anything for her or her family; I knew it was a very bad thing that no one wants to go through, but I couldn’t get myself to really care. Nina also seemed to overreact to almost anything. She would randomly freak out or not care enough which I just thought was really weird. She was very confusing, awkward and paranoid. The other characters were about the same. There was a lot of mystery surrounding Nina’s new friends and we never really get to know what they know or who they really are.

Cover: I like the cover a lot which is also one reason I even chose to read this book. I am sad to say that I do choose books by their covers most of the time.

Overall Impression: Not my favorite dystopian novel, but fans of The Uglies Trilogy or The Hunger Games might find it to be interesting and a good read. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
a really mind-engaging, interesting read. i really enjoyed it, it made me think about society in a different way. can't wait to read the sequel. :) ( )
  ohkamikaze | Feb 11, 2015 |
I was originally excited to read this book. It sounded gritty and edgy, taking on teen sexuality and the way that the media presents women as sex objects. It sounded like the author would present an interesting discussion of the subject wound up in a YA package. NOPE!

What you get instead is a cliched generic dystopian society with a big dollop of slut shaming. All men except for a few of the protagonist's family and love interests are creepy sex-animals who will almost literally rape girls on sight. Which is offensive to both men and women.

I also really dislike how Nina was portrayed as 'pure' and she looked down on all the other girls for having sexual desires and wearing clothing that she deemed provocative. Nina then takes a 180 when she meets a boy she finally likes and starts experiencing such feelings herself, but since she's so 'pure' and good she doesn't act on them. Because according to this book, that would make you a sex-crazed whore.

This book had potential, it really did, which is the only reason it gets 2 stars over 1. But it let me down. When the book introduced the FELs program, which is revealed as a cover-up for a sex-trade operation for government officials, I thought the plot would go that direction and end up with Nina getting drafted into it against her will. That ultimately would have been a much more interesting plot, but it is not what you are going to get.

Honestly, I'm surprised that this was published under the Speak/Puffin name considering the book's views on sexuality contrasted with the publisher's groundbreaking namesake book [b:Speak|439288|Speak|Laurie Halse Anderson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1310121762s/439288.jpg|118521] by [a:Laurie Halse Anderson|10003|Laurie Halse Anderson|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1236694913p2/10003.jpg]. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
I am very impressed with the work that went into this book. It is about ancient inhabitants of Ireland. This group of people were starwatchers and studied the heavens. They carved the cycles of the solar system and season into rock and temples. They were a peaceful people,

They must deal with Invaders from the sea who come to plunder the metal resources and leave destruction in their quest for precious metals. The Invaders take natural resources from the starwatchers without a care to trade or whether or not it takes the food that they needed for the winter season. The detail that J.S. Dunn explains the process of the early miners and the refining process of copper is very interesting. You can tell that he did meticulous research on the Bronze Age. In his Biography at the back of the book it states that he has a keen interest in the early Bronze Age Culture. It also indicates that he researched and made friends in the fields of "archaeology, geology, and Bronze Age tool-making."

Boann is learning of the heavens from her father, his apprentice, Cian, has left the community to dwell with the invaders. She is planning on taking her father's place when he passes and carving the history of the stars into stone. It is a very meticulous and exact trade. She is placed in a position to keep peace between her people and the Invaders by marrying their chief.

Cian watches and learns from them. He then is placed into a position where he can help his people by learning from the enemy and knowing how they work.

This historical fiction novel is well thought out and very interesting. I personally love to find out about ancient cultures. I was unfamiliar with the people of the Boyne. They have left amazing mounds as a tribute to their culture that predated Stonehenge. If you love historic fiction and ancient civilizations then I highly recommend this book to you. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Jun 19, 2014 |
"I liked this book. It was interesting and fun to read. I liked the futuristic jargon "Skivs!" and the world that Julia Karr has created. It sucks you in from the first page."

At least this is what I thought when I first wrote this review. Since then I've edited it. Now looking back on my past review, I think I was a little too kind.

The writing was at times, immature and unrealistic, but I let her off for some parts of it because I told myself to remember it's from the viewpoint of a teenage school girl- although it doesn't quite work when someone who isn't a teenager, is trying to get into the mind of one. She JUST managed it. Not quite.

...

I thought the sudden death of Sandy was very shocking and unexpected and pretty rushed actually. When I read it I felt sad even though Sandy did get on my nerves at times. ...

My problem is not necessarily with the characters, even if they are the stereotypical types -Nina: the quiet, mousy, unaware of her beauty, untouched blossom, Bella Swan type and Sandy: well where do I begin?
Typically Julia Karr has to accentuate Sandy's 'Slut' title by dressing her up like one, making her walk and talk like one and of course given her 'what she deserves' by making sure she's treated like one in the end.
As if the author's point wasn't obvious enough already for our dumb teenage brains to grasp (?) And yes I was being sarcastic. She really needed to make her hate of 'sluts' loud and clear, didn't she?

The reason this didn't bother me as much until after I finished the book and thought back, was because at the time I saw Sandy for what she was. A lost girl, with no decent role models, support, guidance and who secretly felt belittled and judged by her prissy, perfect friend. She was rebelling and was a bit of an idiot for it but I got where she was coming from even though we're complete pole opposites.

My problem was the author's view of the characters, especially Sandy. I only realized it until after I'd read it at just how black and white her mindset is. Her writing is average, the idea was good- could have been brilliant- if it had been done with more maturity and acceptance that everyone has good and bad in them and no one should be pidgeonholed I'd have given her a few more stars.

There are many shades of grey to people. Nina isn't and should never have been portrayed as a saint and Sandy as the Pariah. I hate that. Main characters should have good and bad qualities, but more good than bad. You can relate to them then.

Other than that, there were still things I'd like to know. About her father and the Resistance. I do plan on reading the second book, hopefully without regret and then I'll see if I can forgive her for this shallow minded folly.

This review was re-edited 07 August 2012. Left it a while I know.

I had given this book 4 out 5 stars, but severely changed my mind. It really wasn't as good as I'd first thought. And that's down to the author, not the story.
Sorry Julia.
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
To Chicago, where I turned sixteen.

In the year 2150, being a girl isn’t necessarily a good thing, especially when your sixteenth (read sex-teenth) birthday is fast approaching. That in itself would be enough to make anyone more than a little nuts, what with the tattoo and all – but Nina Oberon’s life has taken a definite turn for the worse. Her mother is brutally stabbed and left for dead. Before dying, she entrusts a secret book to Nina, telling her to deliver it to Nina's father. But, first Nina has to find him; since for fifteen years he's been officially dead. Complications arise when she rescues Sal, a mysterious, and ultra hot guy. He seems to like Nina, but also seems to know more about her father than he’s letting on. Then there’s that murderous ex-government agent who’s stalking her, and just happens to be her little sister’s dad.

At fifteen, Nina Oberon leads a pretty normal life that includes family, friends, and school. However, Nina lives in a totalitarian future society in which all girls are required to get a Governing Council-ordered "XVI" wrist tattoo on their 16th birthdays, announcing to the world that they are ready for sex. Becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear until, right before her birthday, her mother is brutally attacked and reveals a shocking truth to Nina with her dying breaths that changes everything Nina thought she knew about her life. Now, alone but for her younger sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible