XVI by Julia Karr

XVI (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Julia Karr

Info:Speak (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2011, young adult, science fiction, library

XVI by Julia Karr (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (LAKobow)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (JoriPie)
    JoriPie: Very similar plots.

I am very impressed with the work that went into this book. It is about ancient inhabitants of Ireland. This group of people were starwatchers and studied the heavens. They carved the cycles of the solar system and season into rock and temples. They were a peaceful people,

They must deal with Invaders from the sea who come to plunder the metal resources and leave destruction in their quest for precious metals. The Invaders take natural resources from the starwatchers without a care to trade or whether or not it takes the food that they needed for the winter season. The detail that J.S. Dunn explains the process of the early miners and the refining process of copper is very interesting. You can tell that he did meticulous research on the Bronze Age. In his Biography at the back of the book it states that he has a keen interest in the early Bronze Age Culture. It also indicates that he researched and made friends in the fields of "archaeology, geology, and Bronze Age tool-making."

Boann is learning of the heavens from her father, his apprentice, Cian, has left the community to dwell with the invaders. She is planning on taking her father's place when he passes and carving the history of the stars into stone. It is a very meticulous and exact trade. She is placed in a position to keep peace between her people and the Invaders by marrying their chief.

Cian watches and learns from them. He then is placed into a position where he can help his people by learning from the enemy and knowing how they work.

This historical fiction novel is well thought out and very interesting. I personally love to find out about ancient cultures. I was unfamiliar with the people of the Boyne. They have left amazing mounds as a tribute to their culture that predated Stonehenge. If you love historic fiction and ancient civilizations then I highly recommend this book to you. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Jun 19, 2014 |
"I liked this book. It was interesting and fun to read. I liked the futuristic jargon "Skivs!" and the world that Julia Karr has created. It sucks you in from the first page."

At least this is what I thought when I first wrote this review. Since then I've edited it. Now looking back on my past review, I think I was a little too kind.

The writing was at times, immature and unrealistic, but I let her off for some parts of it because I told myself to remember it's from the viewpoint of a teenage school girl- although it doesn't quite work when someone who isn't a teenager, is trying to get into the mind of one. She JUST managed it. Not quite.

...

I thought the sudden death of Sandy was very shocking and unexpected and pretty rushed actually. When I read it I felt sad even though Sandy did get on my nerves at times. ...

My problem is not necessarily with the characters, even if they are the stereotypical types -Nina: the quiet, mousy, unaware of her beauty, untouched blossom, Bella Swan type and Sandy: well where do I begin?
Typically Julia Karr has to accentuate Sandy's 'Slut' title by dressing her up like one, making her walk and talk like one and of course given her 'what she deserves' by making sure she's treated like one in the end.
As if the author's point wasn't obvious enough already for our dumb teenage brains to grasp (?) And yes I was being sarcastic. She really needed to make her hate of 'sluts' loud and clear, didn't she?

The reason this didn't bother me as much until after I finished the book and thought back, was because at the time I saw Sandy for what she was. A lost girl, with no decent role models, support, guidance and who secretly felt belittled and judged by her prissy, perfect friend. She was rebelling and was a bit of an idiot for it but I got where she was coming from even though we're complete pole opposites.

My problem was the author's view of the characters, especially Sandy. I only realized it until after I'd read it at just how black and white her mindset is. Her writing is average, the idea was good- could have been brilliant- if it had been done with more maturity and acceptance that everyone has good and bad in them and no one should be pidgeonholed I'd have given her a few more stars.

There are many shades of grey to people. Nina isn't and should never have been portrayed as a saint and Sandy as the Pariah. I hate that. Main characters should have good and bad qualities, but more good than bad. You can relate to them then.

Other than that, there were still things I'd like to know. About her father and the Resistance. I do plan on reading the second book, hopefully without regret and then I'll see if I can forgive her for this shallow minded folly.

This review was re-edited 07 August 2012. Left it a while I know.

I had given this book 4 out 5 stars, but severely changed my mind. It really wasn't as good as I'd first thought. And that's down to the author, not the story.
Sorry Julia.
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
XVI is a futuristic/dystopian young adult debut by Julia Karr that introduces us to Nina Oberon and her world of media brainwashing and strange government control over society. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy XVI as much as I had anticipated. While I did enjoy the steady pacing and writing style, I thought that there wasn’t enough plot to carry the story. I would compare reading this novel to going to an amusement park and riding only the carousel. Its an enjoyable enough ride, relaxing and nice, but while you can just see the roller-coaster over the hill, you never quite make it there. Instead continuing at the same slow steady pace to the end, no ups, downs, twists or surprises.

Nina Oberon’s world almost seems like a pretty scary place with the government listening and watching everything you do, media flashing advertisements convincing you of who you want to aspire to be, and the underground resistance fighting against the status quo. But in XVI, we only get a small glimpse at all that’s going on, we never get to see the inner workings of either side and so I was left without a very clear understanding about the world. I felt the same about Nina’s friends and family, that the author just barely scratched the surface of who they were and I really couldn’t relate to any of the characters, plot, or world enough to be completely invested in the story.

I liked that the author tackled some serious issues such as teen self image and sexuality as it is influenced by the media. However, once again, I wish there would have been more to it than it just being mentioned throughout the book. There were too many things left unexplained, unexplored, and undeveloped for me to have enjoyed this. It felt too safe for the subject matter.

So, XVI by Julia Karr was simply not for me. It might, however, be just what you’re looking for!
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Dystopian books are all the rage right now, and there are a crop of them popping up this year. Some of them are better than others. Overall, I really enjoy this genre and ever since The Hunger Games I have been devouring these books. XVI is an exciting new dystopian novel by debut author Julia Karr. XVI paints a dark picture of the future, and makes you wonder if this is where we’re headed.

The year is 2150 and the world is a dangerous place, especially for young girls. At the age of sixteen, girls are tattooed with an XVI on their wrist to show that they are legal and ready to have sex. They are called sex-teens. These girls have been taught by the media to look, dress and behave a certain way to attract the opposite sex. Men basically feel like they have the right to have sex with any girl with the XVI marking.

The protagonist is Nina Oberon, and it is her worst nightmare to become a sex-teen. Nina is a smart, thoughtful, responsible girl. Nina’s mother Ginny has encouraged her to think for herself and not trust the government. Ginny has encouraged Nina to be an artist to carve a different path for her. Tragedy strikes when Ginny is murdered, and with her dying words sends Nina off to discover the clues of her mother’s secret life. Nina also must protect her little sister Dee from being abducted by Ginny’s evil ex-boyfriend.

Nina and Dee go to live with their grandparents, and attend a new school. Nina is separated from her best friend Sandy after she moves away. Sandy has bought into the whole sex-teen thing and can’t wait to turn sixteen and live the glamorous life portrayed in the media. They have two friends, Mike and Derek, who are sweet and supportive and have known the girls since grade school. Nina runs into a new boy, Sal, who questions the government’s motives and practices, much like Nina’s parents did. Ginny’s boyfriend Ed is one of the villains of the book, and he is very creepy with his taste for young girls and violence towards women in general.

Nina finds herself infatuated with Sal, and is conflicted about starting a romance with him. Her life is complicated, and she is worried about being a sex-teen. Their relationship was a strong point for me, and I just wish it were developed a little more. Nina also becomes friendly with a cool, confident, girl named Wei, who studies Cliste Galad martial arts. I hope to find out more about her and the martial arts in the next book in the series.

I was fascinated and horrified with XVI’s dystopian world, where there is no free speech, and girls are objectified and monitored with implanted gps devices. Verts/Advertisements are everywhere and the government is always listening and monitoring your every move.

XVI has a great story and characters, has a feminist theme, and makes you think about the future. As a bonus, I also loved that the society is vegetarian, and eating meat is outlawed due to the fact that there are so few animals left in the world. The story is fast-paced and kept me turning the pages (or clicking next on my kindle.) The ending was satisfying on it’s own, but I’ll definitely be ready to pick up the next book in the series. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
I like the concept of this book a lot. I really admire the guts it took to write such a naked examination of the way teenage girls are commodified in our culture. The problem is the pacing. The novel drags rather badly, which is a shame because I wanted to like this one. Chapter 24 was also filled with way too many coincidences for me to continue to take the book seriously. I hate being so rough on a first novel, especially one with such a great, brave concept, but it just wasn't executed very well. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
To Chicago, where I turned sixteen.

In the year 2150, being a girl isn’t necessarily a good thing, especially when your sixteenth (read sex-teenth) birthday is fast approaching. That in itself would be enough to make anyone more than a little nuts, what with the tattoo and all – but Nina Oberon’s life has taken a definite turn for the worse. Her mother is brutally stabbed and left for dead. Before dying, she entrusts a secret book to Nina, telling her to deliver it to Nina's father. But, first Nina has to find him; since for fifteen years he's been officially dead. Complications arise when she rescues Sal, a mysterious, and ultra hot guy. He seems to like Nina, but also seems to know more about her father than he’s letting on. Then there’s that murderous ex-government agent who’s stalking her, and just happens to be her little sister’s dad.

At fifteen, Nina Oberon leads a pretty normal life that includes family, friends, and school. However, Nina lives in a totalitarian future society in which all girls are required to get a Governing Council-ordered "XVI" wrist tattoo on their 16th birthdays, announcing to the world that they are ready for sex. Becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear until, right before her birthday, her mother is brutally attacked and reveals a shocking truth to Nina with her dying breaths that changes everything Nina thought she knew about her life. Now, alone but for her younger sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible