Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Teen Spot YA Book Club
Rating:*****

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (191)  Italian (1)  All languages (192)
Always a favourite of mine.
Captivating, imaginative and incredible fulfilling to read. ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
I found the book lacking any real plot. I had a hard time staying focused on the book and couldn't really follow along. The story was all about a girl and how her life was. I wasn't too thrilled with "Evie" throughout most of the book and wish that she could have been a little more, adult, about things. She was the perfect whiny teen and got on my nerves a lot. Once the book was finished I was happy to see everything resolved and will grudgingly start the second book in the series, just to make sure I know what happens, because no matter what, I always finish a series once I start it. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
I love to read YA and PNR books. So its was pretty natural that I ended up picking up this book. Well having read a good bit of these books Paranormalcy is different. While most YA paranormal books are about vampires or werewolves this one has it all. And some lesser seen paranormal entities like water spirits, and hybrids.

I enjoyed the book enough to read it in one day while I know its not long that doesn't happen often. I felt like Evie was a little different than most the heroines in this genre. Of course she was a slight mary sue, but it seems almost inescapable these days. Her mary sue traits aren't as noticeable as in other books fitting this genre. I really enjoyed the character Lend throughout the series along with Reth. I also enjoyed hearing more about other types of paranormals throughout the book. I really hope the second one includes more of them.

Besides Evie's horrid fashion sense for the most part the book was really good. I enjoyed it and can't wait to pick up the next one. I think if your into this type of book its a great read and well worth your time. If paranormal YA books aren't you thing then I wouldn't pick it up.
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
This book was actually pretty dang good.
Okay, so the main character, Evie, is pretty shallow. You know, just the things she thinks about. But most of that was the way she was raised. Also, I think it's party like she's using shallowness as a defense mechanism, because she doesn't know where she came form, who her parents are, and she's pretty much alone in the world. If her character was deeper, she'd have to FEEL that, and it would be so much BIGGER.
(I have used shallowness as a defense mechanism before, so I kind of know what I'm talking about.)

Now, lets get to all the things that make this book awesome.

1. Evie has a bedazzled, pink, Taser. Yes, you heard me correctly. It's name is Tasey.

2. Evie's best friend is a Mermaid. A different kind of mermaid.

3. Reth. GRRRR. I usually like Faeries, but this one is an absolute jerk-face. Even so, I never thought he was Unseelie. I was, in fact, pretty certain he was Seelie.

4. LEND!!!!!!

Okay, so this book begins with us meeting Evie and being intorduced to her world. almost immediately, we start the action when Lend gets captured. Plot twists and secrets galore, evil person who goes around killing paranormals, and creepy faerie stalker ex-boyfriend, and it's a pretty cool book.
I can not wait to get a hold of the next one (which i have on hold from the library).

Note: I did consider buying this book when it first came out. it sounded really interesting. the reason I didn't was the cover. I don't like it.
Well, that's not exactly true. I DO like the cover, I like the movement, the color scheme, and everything. but her face ruins it. I mean, what is that expression? Dead fish?
If her face had some sort of emotion on it, i would probably think that this cover was amazing.
Ah, well. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Pretty cute. Listened to the audio and the juvenile tone of the reader could be grating at times but that's what I get for loving Young Adult fiction.

The premise is neat. Love the lore behind all the paranormals. Glad there are two more books. ( )
  AFaith | Nov 7, 2018 |
FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,455,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible