Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:paranormal, romance, urban fantasy, ya

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

2011 (9) ebook (11) fae (7) faerie (23) fairies (14) fantasy (69) fiction (29) Kindle (9) love (6) magic (5) mermaids (17) mystery (5) own (6) paranormal (82) paranormal romance (16) Paranormalcy (8) prophecy (6) read (15) read in 2011 (7) romance (45) series (17) shapeshifters (14) supernatural (22) teen (13) to-read (99) urban fantasy (31) vampires (45) werewolves (37) YA (57) young adult (86)

English (155)  Italian (1)  All languages (156)
Evie is a bit of an odd one and the relationship between her and her ex (for the life of me can’t remember his name) is a little strange. But I loved Lend. He was totally cute, in a number of different ways because he can shape shift. I think the only thing that bothered me about this book is that, despite it being a good read and an all round YA good time, I am not craving the second one.

Full Review at: Http://vashmanbooks.blogspot.com ( )
  Jayne.Winn | Jun 26, 2014 |
Fun, kind of a new take on Men In Black with faeries and other "species" instead of aliens. I love the main character. It's fun to see her fall for a boy who is literally transparent while trying to fend off her ex-fae boyfriend. Can't wait to see where the series goes in book 2! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
awesome paranormal book ( )
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
Paranormalcy is definitely on the young side of young adult, but I still had fun with it. It’s a quick, entertaining read featuring a spunky heroine and a predictable, yet sweet, romance. The cover made me think it was going to be moody and dramatic, but it’s actually a pretty light, upbeat story with a good amount of humor. I enjoyed it more than I expected - a nice surprise. ( )
  les121 | Apr 26, 2014 |
I really want to give this book more than a two star rating because, as the two star description states, "it was alright"; but I couldn't do it - it just didn't hook me, you know? I just felt that any potential the paranormal story line held was ruined by the pointless dribble about Evie and her annoying love life and amazing high school lockers (read the book and you'll understand my frustration).

I'll start with the things I didn't like with this novel. Firstly, Evie. Gah, she was just so whiny and annoying. I know, she was a sixteen year old stuck in an underground, government facility, but she just didn't agree with me. Everything was a problem, life was out to get her, she loves someone she's just met, she couldn’t use a knife because it wasn’t pink, she missed Easton Heights TV show or whatever the hell it was called, yada yada yada... I know this book is a YA novel, so I expected some teenage spiel about feelings/pointless rubbish, but if I had to listen to "I think he likes me" or "I just held his hand for the nine thousandth time" one more time, I would have probably clawed my eyes out or thrown my kindle across the room.
Ahhh, I really liked the underlying idea behind this novel, the story line had potential but it was just drowned out by nonsense like “Ah, programme is on!!!”- it was so frustrating!

*Breathes*

Right, oh did I mention Lend? - point case number two on my hate list. Am I only the person who didn’t fall for his flat, boring character? Ughh, his artistic skills (cliché, I swear every story has an artistic supernatural male; ‘cause all the girls for mysterious artistic types right?) and his typical shallow male comments like “you look hot” make me want to stab him. Or suck out his soul - whatever, just get rid of him.
I didn’t believe their “love”; maybe on the basis that Evie is a sixteen year old girl, who may or may not have been in a relationship with a psycho faery. I don’t know, I was told Reth and Evie were together but apparently they never touched or did anything relationship wise, which makes me think she’s like one of those adolescent girls who convinces herself she’s in a relationship with a boy because he said her hair looked nice? I don’t know, it just seemed like their relationship was made up in her head. This then makes me think that the whole “I heart Lend” thing is utter rubbish. She, again, sounds like an adolescent girl who is in love after two days of being with someone. *Sighs*

Oh, that reminds me, how can I forget the constant sighing? *Sarcastic-rolls-my-eyes-whilst-shaking-my-head sigh*

Reth, Reth, Reth. You could have been such a good character, I really liked you to begin with and then you transformed into this weird kidnapper/stalker character who tried to put your warmth into Evie at every opportunity (weird, just plain weird) and it demolished any faith I had in you, or your side of the story. It just ended. Right there.

It pretty much sounds like I hated this book right? Wrong, surprising I actually enjoyed some parts, however, they were seriously out shadowed by the pointless teenage drivel .
I actually liked the fact that Kiersten White included different types of paranormal being. She had the A typical vampires, werewolves, ghosts and faery characters, but she then had mermaids, gremlins, shape-shifters, water nymphs - I mean you had a brilliant chance to make this book amazing but it just kinda fell flat. I have never read a book with such a variation of characters and I just felt the opportunity was wasted.
You could also say, I really liked the idea of Evie thinking she was human, but in actual fact wasn’t. She was something more and I loved how she realised that all that trust in the IPCA was a cover up really - they were essentially using her but were petrified of her ability. Ah yes, her ability. I loved this concept. I’ve not read a book like this that incorporates a special ability like this. It’s unique, but it’s a shame it was overshadowed by the other rubbish in the book.

I won’t drone on, there are a million things I didn’t like or didn’t agree with in this book. Like I said before, I felt it really did have the potential to be brilliant, it had the element of Evie’s ability and the combination of all of the unexplored paranormal creatures but it just didn’t work.

I’d also like the state that, if a sixteen year old girl wore a zebra print wrap dress and neon pink stiletto boots outside the house, she would be labelled something more sinister than “hot” and she would be attracting a different male age group entirely *sigh*. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,508,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible