Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:paranormal, romance, urban fantasy, ya

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Recently added byReadyMcBookerson, private library, Kanic, AliceFitz, RakshaKeller, LaurenKathryn, nerdchills
2011 (9) ebook (10) fae (7) faerie (22) fairies (14) fantasy (69) fiction (29) Kindle (6) library (5) love (6) mermaids (16) mystery (5) own (7) paranormal (79) paranormal romance (17) Paranormalcy (8) prophecy (6) read (14) read in 2011 (7) romance (45) series (16) shapeshifters (14) supernatural (23) teen (13) to-read (76) urban fantasy (31) vampires (44) werewolves (37) YA (53) young adult (85)

English (150)  Italian (1)  All languages (151)
I really want to give this book more than a two star rating because, as the two star description states, "it was alright"; but I couldn't do it - it just didn't hook me, you know? I just felt that any potential the paranormal story line held was ruined by the pointless dribble about Evie and her annoying love life and amazing high school lockers (read the book and you'll understand my frustration).

I'll start with the things I didn't like with this novel. Firstly, Evie. Gah, she was just so whiny and annoying. I know, she was a sixteen year old stuck in an underground, government facility, but she just didn't agree with me. Everything was a problem, life was out to get her, she loves someone she's just met, she couldn’t use a knife because it wasn’t pink, she missed Easton Heights TV show or whatever the hell it was called, yada yada yada... I know this book is a YA novel, so I expected some teenage spiel about feelings/pointless rubbish, but if I had to listen to "I think he likes me" or "I just held his hand for the nine thousandth time" one more time, I would have probably clawed my eyes out or thrown my kindle across the room.
Ahhh, I really liked the underlying idea behind this novel, the story line had potential but it was just drowned out by nonsense like “Ah, programme is on!!!”- it was so frustrating!

*Breathes*

Right, oh did I mention Lend? - point case number two on my hate list. Am I only the person who didn’t fall for his flat, boring character? Ughh, his artistic skills (cliché, I swear every story has an artistic supernatural male; ‘cause all the girls for mysterious artistic types right?) and his typical shallow male comments like “you look hot” make me want to stab him. Or suck out his soul - whatever, just get rid of him.
I didn’t believe their “love”; maybe on the basis that Evie is a sixteen year old girl, who may or may not have been in a relationship with a psycho faery. I don’t know, I was told Reth and Evie were together but apparently they never touched or did anything relationship wise, which makes me think she’s like one of those adolescent girls who convinces herself she’s in a relationship with a boy because he said her hair looked nice? I don’t know, it just seemed like their relationship was made up in her head. This then makes me think that the whole “I heart Lend” thing is utter rubbish. She, again, sounds like an adolescent girl who is in love after two days of being with someone. *Sighs*

Oh, that reminds me, how can I forget the constant sighing? *Sarcastic-rolls-my-eyes-whilst-shaking-my-head sigh*

Reth, Reth, Reth. You could have been such a good character, I really liked you to begin with and then you transformed into this weird kidnapper/stalker character who tried to put your warmth into Evie at every opportunity (weird, just plain weird) and it demolished any faith I had in you, or your side of the story. It just ended. Right there.

It pretty much sounds like I hated this book right? Wrong, surprising I actually enjoyed some parts, however, they were seriously out shadowed by the pointless teenage drivel .
I actually liked the fact that Kiersten White included different types of paranormal being. She had the A typical vampires, werewolves, ghosts and faery characters, but she then had mermaids, gremlins, shape-shifters, water nymphs - I mean you had a brilliant chance to make this book amazing but it just kinda fell flat. I have never read a book with such a variation of characters and I just felt the opportunity was wasted.
You could also say, I really liked the idea of Evie thinking she was human, but in actual fact wasn’t. She was something more and I loved how she realised that all that trust in the IPCA was a cover up really - they were essentially using her but were petrified of her ability. Ah yes, her ability. I loved this concept. I’ve not read a book like this that incorporates a special ability like this. It’s unique, but it’s a shame it was overshadowed by the other rubbish in the book.

I won’t drone on, there are a million things I didn’t like or didn’t agree with in this book. Like I said before, I felt it really did have the potential to be brilliant, it had the element of Evie’s ability and the combination of all of the unexplored paranormal creatures but it just didn’t work.

I’d also like the state that, if a sixteen year old girl wore a zebra print wrap dress and neon pink stiletto boots outside the house, she would be labelled something more sinister than “hot” and she would be attracting a different male age group entirely *sigh*. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
As a whole, I enjoyed the storyline but after a while Evelyn started to grate on my nerves. I would recommend it to others who like this genre; however, the annoyingly immature outlook of the main character may stop me, personally, from reading the sequels. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
Originally posted on my blog: The Bibliophile's Corner

This book has only been sitting on my bookshelves since last year and I finally read it! I have to say, it did like quite a lot. I am so happy that I waited this long because now I can read the sequel without having to wait for a year.

First Impression: The premise of a paranormal containment agency is incredibly fascinating and sadly this means I can no longer write my book about the same thing. Oh well. I’ll think of something else. But really, I loved how modern this book was. And if it wasn’t so romantic, I would almost call it YA Urban Fantasy Lots of Pink and Shiny Things.

First 50-100 Pages: I loved how quickly I was able to get into Evie’s world. I quickly learned she loves pink, zebra print, and has been in the IPCA since she was a small child. I also was quickly able to figure out that IPCA is not as good and useful as it thinks it is. At times, I got a little bored with Evie’s girly-ness, but I was definitely able to look past it.

Characters: Evie reminds me of a young MacKayla Lane from the Fever series. Girly to the point of nausea, but surprisingly tough. Evie can definitely take care of herself. I do wish there would have been more action scenes because the “bag-n-tag” process went a little too smoothly in my opinion. I really wanted to see a little bit more from Evie in terms of her toughness.

Lend the cute Water Boy/Shape-Shifter is absolutely precious. I love how charming and wonderful Lend was while being held in IPCA. He and Evie’s relationship was a bit too insta-love for me. But I found it absolutely adorable and for once I didn’t want to repeated bang my head against a wall while reading their interactions.

Raquel is the Center’s leader and guardian of Evie. She is very motherlike, but quickly is able to turn of the mother side when the IPCA is at stake. I both liked this and disliked this. Liked it because I loved how dedicated she was to the system, disliked it because poor Evie kept getting mixed parental signals from her.

Reth is Fey. And go freaking figure, he is the most complicated and manipulative character that Evie has to deal with. I really want to punch him in the face with iron knuckles. Ever chance he gets, he whisks Evie away and it is so frustrating. And after all of that…I still love him. Ugh. Stupid fey messing with my feelings.

Plot: I am a huge fan of this plot. It is fast paced, light with just enough darkness to make you invested in, but not over the top. After Lend is captured, Evie starts rethinking about her position in IPCA and who she really is. She knows she’s different, but has always managed to convince herself that she is normal with paranormal abilites.

The threat to the paranormal species is rather sad. They are dying left and right with barely any struggle. When Evie finally encounters the one responsible…let’s just say it gets pretty interesting.

And I don’t want to give to much away, but the thing with the souls and who Evie is is pretty brilliant and original. That is all I will say on the matter.

Final Thoughts: I am so ready for the second book. This book has definitely lived up to it’s hype and I can see why. A fresh, fun character who is determined to fight her fate. Not to mention a super cute shape-shifter. I couldn’t have asked for anything better. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
I'm kinda sad that I didn't read this series sooner! It's great! I really liked White's writing, and the story had me intrigued until the very last sentence! ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
Completely delightful. Really, I can't think of anything I didn't like about this! It was clever without trying too hard, funny without being obvious, and so well-written. I love how Evie takes pleasure in things that seem so mundane. Makes me want to look at life a little differently. Hah! All from a YA paranormal read! Loved it. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible