Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

by Kiersten White

Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:paranormal, romance, urban fantasy, ya

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (169)  Italian (1)  All languages (170)
Great teen read, with a spunky female Evie, who is still a sweet, in some ways, naive 16 yr old. Mixes up realistic teen romance with fantasy: a very human world but with mythological beings mixed in: werewolves, trolls, vampires, etc. disguised as humans. Our protagonist Evie can see through their human disguise "their glamours" and see the true entity, thus her value to the International Paranormal Containment Agency, ICPA.

From Wikiwand: "Evie's allies include a shape-shifting boy named Lend, who she meets as the story begins, and a faerie named Reth, whom she previously admired. Both young men become romantic interests of Evie's as the tale progresses, while the three of them are joined by other companions as well. At its center, Paranormalcy examines Evie's attempts to balance her IPCA duties with her growing desire to lead a normal teenage life" ("Paranormalcy" accessed 22 Nov 2015).
Evie's voice throughout the entire novel is the best: irreverent, sassy, by turns wistful and lonely, upbeat and exuberant- we root for her all the way through the twists and turns of the story. Followed by two more books in the series. Definitely recommended to fans of other dark fantasy fiction, vampire stories, with a bit of teen pop culture and more upbeat funny tone. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 22, 2015 |
Oh. My. Gosh.
This book was amazing! Awesome! Incredible! ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
No-recomendado por Agustina.

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I loved this book. Loved loved loved it. Not only were the characters fully rounded and incredibly engaging (even the "bad guys", I love that!), but the main character, Evie, goes through several upsets during the book changing her entire life and the way she views the world.

While there are your stock paranormals kept at the Center, White also invents a couple as she goes along (including the two main characters), which I found very well-done and enriching. While it may be said that the paranormals the Center pursues are "underpowered", in the context of the book it made a lot of sense - if they were invincible and there were that many creatures all around us all the time, human population would have died out long before the IPCA or the APCA could have been started to contain them. The moral and ethical implications of containment and "neutering" the PNs are also beginning to be explored towards the end, which I found added an unforeseen level of depth to an already exciting and fresh plot.

Speaking of plot, this book's was perfectly paced, leaving you to wonder at the right moments and offering (some) explanations only when you need them.

Paranormalcy was, in my book, almost perfect. It was great fun to read, you really come to care about all of the characters and the story was engaging and original. I had to wrack my brain to come up with something I didn't like, and the only thing I could get was that Evie named her taser gun. Tasey. Yah.

RECOMMENDED FOR: Any fans of spec-fic or YA, and anyone whose soul sometimes craves for just fun and something non-angsty. This book is pretty light and fluffy, so there are no age constraints or worries and is just a general feel-good book. I guess if you think the light side of life and people having fun while in danger is all unicorns and rainbows and stupid, you might want to first lend it from the library or a friend. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
Did not finish. Reason: "it's not you, it's me". (The heroine's voice just did not work for me, both "as it was written by the author" and "as it was narrated in the audio book".)
  WeaselOfDoom | Mar 4, 2015 |

Is contained in

"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,872,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible