Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:paranormal, romance, urban fantasy, ya

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (161)  Italian (1)  All languages (162)
I've been wanting to read this since it came out and I saw good reviews for it. I am just now making time to get some books from the past few years of blogging that I know that I have missed out on, and for the most part it has been a great experience.

The world building in Paranormalcy is good, simple enough but it has many supernaturals that add to the world. Evie herself has grown up in the agency after bouncing from foster homes. They took her in when they realized she saw through a glamour (outside appearance) to the real identity and look of the supernatural below. She has always thought of herself as human, and the work she does tagging other paranormals as helpful to the world in general.

But a prophecy and a new guy, the likes of which Evie has never seen in the paranormal spectrum before shows up and things get a lot more action packed and adds in twists. Lend, the new guy, seems so sweet, and he marvels that Evie sees who he really is and they both really enjoy spending time together.

There is also a fairy Reth who Evie used to have a special connection with, that Evie used to love but now just is scared that he is trying to take her heart. Things clear up a bit when Evie realizes that she has someone much like her but that the two differences in the prophecy could mean one for her and another for the mystery gal.

I really enjoyed the romance and Evie's general outlook. She has never been to school, only watching a popular tv series about the "normals" that she loves. Her best friend is also a paranormal, she is like a mermaid and they have her in a tank. She speaks through a computer generated software and they have many laughs as she tries to say curse words and all that comes out it is bleep.

I flew through this one and will be sure to read the next to see what will happen with Evie, Lend, Reth and the others I got to know in this book.

Bottom Line: Good and fast paced paranormal. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 11, 2014 |
Wow, the beginning of this book really packed a punch, bolting out of the gate at top speed. I had no problems getting into it.

Evie’s teenage life is more para than normal. She identifies and bags and tags supernaturals over the world for a super secret organisation with her special ability to see through all glamours. There’s nothing she wants more than “normal,” to go to high school and do proper homework, meet boys, and have nice, normal fun. I empathised with this desire but not quite being able to cope when she gets a taste:

‘I always thought the Center made me claustrophobic, but now I suspected I had the opposite problem. All that time today in open spaces and outdoors made me kind of twitchy, nervous to get back inside. How lame was that?’
Evie’s character was very likeable. She was self-aware and evidently knew what was really important in life. The way she treats Lend, in a rather mature way, valuing him for himself and his real appearance rather than what he projects. Lend is an insanely nice guy, insecure about his unusual looks. He's almost too nice and slightly boring although he has an interesting heritage. I felt sorry for his dad regarding his awkward relationship with Lend's mother. What an awful situation. To be rejected in favour of leaving her corporeal body behind and returning to the lake, and after only a year together living as husband and wife. So sad. He obviously loved her, and she just left him to raise their son, practically, alone.

I liked the two prophetic rhymes describing the opposing sides:
“Eyes like streaming snow, cold with the things she does not know. Heaven above and Hell below, liquid flames to hide her grief. Death, death, death with no release. Death, death, death with no release.”

“Eyes like streaming snow, cold with the things she does not know. Heaven above and Hell beneath, liquid flames will end her grief. With her fire, at last release. With her fire, at last release.”
I still don’t understand why the “Empty Ones” were created. Though the clue seems to be in Reth’s words: “You weren’t supposed to release them [souls of the dead], you silly child. You were meant to release me. Us.” What did he mean by that? Do the light fae want to die? Reth is a frustrating mystery. He’s close-mouthed about everything important. If only he’d explained everything to start with much of what took place in this book could’ve been avoided.

I liked Paranormalcy, it was slightly different to the usual paranormal YA books around. One definite plus, no love triangle. However, I doubt I'll read the sequel not because I don't want to, I do, but because all of my friends who've read it have awarded it with less than favorable ratings and reviews, and I trust their opinions.

Other Favourite Quotes
“That’s because you have no idea how precious normal is.”

“You have lipstick here?” he asked, confused since I hadn’t brought a purse. “Oh, never underestimate the ingenuity of a girl in figuring out where to pack necessities.” [In her bra!] ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,482,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible