Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title:Paranormalcy
Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (181)  Italian (1)  All (182)
Evelyn was abandoned at birth and was shuffled through the foster system until she ran into an agency that keeps paranormals off the street. Now, using her unique gift for seeing past glamours, she works for the agency to keep humans safe.

If I said, “I love Paranormalcy” and left it that way, would that be enough? Maybe, but I have to count the ways.

Evie is a great protagonist. Her voice is spunky and her feelings for the people in her life spills out through the pages. She’s not the typical tough girl hero and her quest to live a normal life - or as normal as she imagines - is very endearing.

The story unfolds rather quickly as Evie tries to learn about who she is, between the detaining of Vampires and Werewolves and the fighting to stay alive. There was a little lag as the romance aspect was being built, but the story itself was still there, keeping me interested enough to turn the pages until I found out what was going on. I’m looking forward to the continuation of the story in Supernaturally. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I have vague memories that people really loved this when it came out. I might be wrong though… Wouldn’t be a bad thing this time…

The biggest problem for me was Evie. She was way too naïve and childish. And liked pink more that is healthy in my opinion… She was found as a small child and grew up in IPCA - organisation that monitors all things paranormal – and yet seems totally clueless what IPCA does or about her own past.

She falls in love with Lend, paranormal who was captured by IPCA. Apart from being practically the only teenage boy she’s met, I don’t see what Evie saw in him. I just thought he was boring.

The most interesting thing was the fairies. They weren’t as “controlled” as everyone seemed to think. Evie’s ex Reth came at first a bit stalkerish but he turned out to be the most interesting pearson in the book. First you think he’s good, then he seems bad, then good.. And he seemed dangerous. Like he could have killed everyone. Or maybe that’s just me hoping.

This was quick and easy read and I can safely say that I won’t continue this trilogy. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
An enjoyable story, but nothing special. Evelyn isn't a bad main character, and I kind of like that she's a ditzy teenage girl. Gives me some big Buffy vibes. But it just made me want to watch Buffy, not read more.

But anyway. It's an interesting story, and not entirely stereotypical. I'm still curious as to what Evie actually is; I'm not sure they ever explicitly said. I really don't want her to be a brand new made-up creature. It'd be so much cooler if she was something from mythology or fairy tales.

Evie and Lend are cute, though it's awfully convenient she falls in love with the very first teenage boy she ever meets. I'm kind of expecting their love to go sour because of this, but I don't think I'd complain if it didn't. Like I said, they're pretty cute.

Overall, not a terrible YA urban fantasy romance. It's fun and not too serious; perfect for a good escape. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Nov 15, 2016 |
Evie is a teenager who works for IPCA, the International Paranormal Containment Agency. This agency catalogues and keeps track of paranormals (vampires, werewolves, faeries...). She has an advantage over the other workers as she can see through glamours.

Her life changes when she meets Lend, a shape-shifter, and finds out she is related to a mysterious creature that is killing paranormals.

I had read so many good reviews about Paranormalcy, that I had to check it out. I wasn’t disappointed and I would recommend it to all the people who like this genre.

One of the reasons why I liked this book so much is the main character. Evie fights against vampires and werewolves, but she is a normal teenage girl who likes to go shopping and watch tv series and who forgets to do her homework. She is not a perfect super-heroine, but a girl that could be in any high school class.

We see the events through Evie’s eyes and at first she doesn’t know much more than the reader. Evie thinks that she is just one more normal person in the IPCA and that she has just an advantage over the other workers. Her surprise and questions are understandable when she finds out that she is not just one more worker but a paranormal of a very high level. She starts to question her whole life and her relationship with IPCA and the chief, Raquel, who has been like a mother to her.

Evie’s view of the world changes drastically when she meets Lend’s family. Their view of paranormals is completely different from the one of IPCA. Most paranormals are just as normal as any human when given a chance. They have feelings and can love, feel sad and enjoy tv series. Like everybody. They are not a threat to humans.

Paranormalcy is a great story that shows that people, no matter how different, are just people. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I'm a 65 grandma and (freely admit that I . .) really enjoy the YA genre . . I also enjoy fun (as opposed to blood 'n' guts) "vampish/paranormalish/wizardish" storylines. I content myself with whatever I can find until Jim Butcher finishes his latest addition to The Dresden Files. Kiersten White's Paranormalcy was "cute", a quick "teen genre" listen (I love audiobooks!) and not too *deep* --> just what this ol' lady needed on a cold 'n' windy Pacific Northwest afternoon! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,824,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible