Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title:Paranormalcy
Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (165)  Italian (1)  All languages (166)
Total brain candy! I picked this up on the advice of a friend for a quick read between grad school terms and it was perfect for that. Enjoyable characters, a strong female lead who actually talks with her boyfriend instead of hiding her fears, and the plot moves along quickly. No, this book won't change your life or make you think too hard, but it will entertain you without killing brain cells. A quick, enjoyable read. ( )
  JenW1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book. Evie was a great character that kept me interested in what she would do. She was believable as a teenager who was dealing with a very abnormal situation. Lend was a little more difficult to take but I appreciated that White did not have the characters immediately fall head over heels in love or in bed! I'm looking forward to the next two books in the series. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
I've read a lot of fiction books on paranormal creatures but I think this one had a fresh take on it. It was definatly different then anything I had read before. It was a little confusing but otherwise it was a good book. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
I would've adored this book as a teenager. Its really refreshing to see a main female character who isn't angst filled. Evie is sassy and can take care of herself. Some of her actions kind of reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I couldn't help but picture her and some of the other characters looking like the BtVS cast. What was really great about this book though was White's use of different mythological creatures as her main character. Yes there are vampire and werewolves but they fall to the wayside here. Instead we have some really original beings such as water creatures, hags, and Fae. I really loved how the Fae were portrayed in this. White uses the traditional outlook on them of being gorgeous, selfish, and deadly because of their different set of morals.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for an original and engaging young adult paranormal book. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I've been wanting to read this since it came out and I saw good reviews for it. I am just now making time to get some books from the past few years of blogging that I know that I have missed out on, and for the most part it has been a great experience.

The world building in Paranormalcy is good, simple enough but it has many supernaturals that add to the world. Evie herself has grown up in the agency after bouncing from foster homes. They took her in when they realized she saw through a glamour (outside appearance) to the real identity and look of the supernatural below. She has always thought of herself as human, and the work she does tagging other paranormals as helpful to the world in general.

But a prophecy and a new guy, the likes of which Evie has never seen in the paranormal spectrum before shows up and things get a lot more action packed and adds in twists. Lend, the new guy, seems so sweet, and he marvels that Evie sees who he really is and they both really enjoy spending time together.

There is also a fairy Reth who Evie used to have a special connection with, that Evie used to love but now just is scared that he is trying to take her heart. Things clear up a bit when Evie realizes that she has someone much like her but that the two differences in the prophecy could mean one for her and another for the mystery gal.

I really enjoyed the romance and Evie's general outlook. She has never been to school, only watching a popular tv series about the "normals" that she loves. Her best friend is also a paranormal, she is like a mermaid and they have her in a tank. She speaks through a computer generated software and they have many laughs as she tries to say curse words and all that comes out it is bleep.

I flew through this one and will be sure to read the next to see what will happen with Evie, Lend, Reth and the others I got to know in this book.

Bottom Line: Good and fast paced paranormal. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 11, 2014 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,781,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible