Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title:Paranormalcy
Authors:Kiersten White
Info:HarperTeen (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

English (172)  Italian (1)  All languages (173)
My approach to Paranormalcy, as a reader, has been different than any other book I have ever read. I bought it because I accidentally stumbled on to Kiersten White's blog and was immediately charmed by her vivacity and quirky sense of humor. I bought her book because I respected her as a person and enjoyed reading her posts everyday. This is the only book I've sought after "meeting" the author, as opposed to seeking the author after enjoying the book.

The first thing I latched on to was Evie, and her voice as the narrator. I am anything but a girly girl, and so, I didn't love her character (personal taste - no attack at all on the writing style). What I did love was her energy - Evie is full of life. High on life. Even in the darkest times, she's one of those people that seems to find a glimpse of hope to bring her happiness, to help her move forward. It's not the raw determination and vengeance sought by so many protagonists - it's innocence. I loved that about her.

However, despite the pleasure I found in the mood of the book, I did have to keep reminding myself - "This is YA Urban Fantasy. YA. Yes, the characters are going to be immature. They are written to appeal to a younger audience than myself." They were shallow and impulsive and downright silly at times, but I've worked with high schoolers long enough (and been one recently enough) to remember that level of innocence and the "drama llama" that comes with it. And adult reader cannot go into this book expecting a mature cast and serious story. This book is pure fun.

That said, there seems to be an underlying layer of seriousness - darkness - with the faeries. I very much enjoyed those characters, because of how mysterious they were. Even at the end of the book, you got the impression they were still hiding something, a clever trick to maintain interest for the next book.

White also gets brownie points for unique fantasy creatures, mixed among the usual choices (vampires, werewolves, mermaids). If I said what they were, though, I'd ruin the book.

Ultimately, I will be picking up Supernaturally at some point in the future. I think that even though the series is definitely intended for teenagers (and the young at heart), White accomplishes everything she intended to with the book. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 20, 2016 |
a little too targeted at teenage girls. ( )
  jason9292 | Dec 30, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, very refreshing style of writing and such an imagination! I highly recommend it :) ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Great teen read, with a spunky female Evie, who is still a sweet, in some ways, naive 16 yr old. Mixes up realistic teen romance with fantasy: a very human world but with mythological beings mixed in: werewolves, trolls, vampires, etc. disguised as humans. Our protagonist Evie can see through their human disguise "their glamours" and see the true entity, thus her value to the International Paranormal Containment Agency, ICPA.

From Wikiwand: "Evie's allies include a shape-shifting boy named Lend, who she meets as the story begins, and a faerie named Reth, whom she previously admired. Both young men become romantic interests of Evie's as the tale progresses, while the three of them are joined by other companions as well. At its center, Paranormalcy examines Evie's attempts to balance her IPCA duties with her growing desire to lead a normal teenage life" ("Paranormalcy" accessed 22 Nov 2015).
Evie's voice throughout the entire novel is the best: irreverent, sassy, by turns wistful and lonely, upbeat and exuberant- we root for her all the way through the twists and turns of the story. Followed by two more books in the series. Definitely recommended to fans of other dark fantasy fiction, vampire stories, with a bit of teen pop culture and more upbeat funny tone. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 22, 2015 |
Oh. My. Gosh.
This book was amazing! Awesome! Incredible! ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |

Is contained in

FOR
MOM AND DAD
AND FOR
NOAH, MY LOVE
"Wait - did you - you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.

Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal.
Normal is so overrated.

When a dark prophecy begins to come true, sixteen-year-old Evie of the International Paranormal Containment Agency must not only try to stop it, she must also uncover its connection to herself and the alluring shapeshifter, Lend.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible