Down There on a Visit by Christopher…

Down There on a Visit (1962)

by Christopher Isherwood

This is the first Christopher Isherwood book I have read and am looking forward to reading more of his writings. I would also like to learn more about Mr. Isherwoods private life and loves. This book was based on his own life during the 30's and 40's. I did not know that his novel GOOD-BYE TO BERLIN (1939) was the basis for the hishly acclaimed musical CABARET. He indeed appears to be a very interesting man. ( )
  cherylscountry | May 11, 2010 |
2660 Down There on a Visit, by Christopher Isherwood (read 7 Oct 1994) This book is in four parts--it appears autobiographical, though clearly it is fiction-tainted--"Mr Lancaster" tells of Isherwood's first trip to Germany, arranged by a stepson of his grandmother's brother-in-law, who is in shipping. "I" has a few weird experiences. Next is "Ambrose", a rich hedonistic Briton living in Greece. What goes on on the Greek island is repulsive and dripping with queer atmosphere. Next is "Waldemar"--the only character in the book who turns out OK--married with a family at the end. The fourth part is Paul, who goes to a camp for COs and ends up dead in Paris in 1953. The book--except when it prates of Eastern mysticism--reads easily and entertainingly, although one detests the moral or amoral view of all the characters. ( )
  Schmerguls | Mar 31, 2008 |
To

DON BACHARDY

Mr Lancaster

Now, at last, I'm ready to write about Mr Lancaster. For years I have been meaning to, but only rather half-heartedly; I never felt I could quite do him justice.

Berlin, the Greek Islands, London and California. 1928, 1932, 1988 and 1940. Four portraits, four settings, four narrators, all known as "Christopher Isherwood"; all connected through their own experiences of private sexual hell. Often regarded as the best of his novels, Down There on a Visit tells the vivid stories of Isherwood's life that , together with the Berlin Stories ,were to have comprised his great unfinished epic novel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible