The cold dish by Craig Johnson

The cold dish (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Craig Johnson

721None13,011 (4.06)140
Member:bfister
Title:The cold dish
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:New York : Viking, 2005.
Tags:Wyoming, crime fiction

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson (2004)

2013 (10) audiobook (4) crime (12) crime fiction (10) detective (8) ebook (13) fiction (61) Indians (7) Kindle (9) Longmire (6) murder (14) mysteries (7) mystery (137) Native American (7) Native Americans (11) rape (10) read (8) revenge (14) series (14) sheriff (19) Sheriffs (6) signed (9) to-read (16) USA (5) Walt Longmire (21) Walt Longmire series (10) West (6) western (26) wishlist (5) Wyoming (76)
    Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: similar remote locations, small towns near Indian reservations, both are cold weather settings

English (54)  French (1)  All languages (55)
Revenge is the cold dish, and the weather can be seriously cold in Absaroka county, Wyoming. The sheriff is nearing retirement. His deputy would rather be in New York. His best friend might be the last person to have seen the dead guy alive. And his best friend’s friends might have multiple reasons to have wished the dead guy harm. Meanwhile his home’s unfinished and his life’s on hold. But none of that will stop him from keeping people safe and solving his case.

The writing is smooth and sure, fiery as good liquor, warm as hot coffee (they drink lots of coffee!), and filled with twisted touches of humor spicing dialog and relationships equally. There are wonderfully memorable scenes of helicopters, log cabins, and a desperate walk in the snow. Hints of mysticism balance perfectly with well-drawn mystery and investigation. And the ending, though not quite surprising, feels perfectly natural with unexpected twists adding conscience and depth.

I’ve not seen the TV series of Craig Johnson’s books, but I feel like I know what it will look like—a testament to the author’s great descriptions and depictions of life in small-town Wyoming on the edge of the reservation. I love this book!

Disclosure: My husband kept quoting from it as he read, so I had to read it myself. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Mar 28, 2014 |
Wow, great writing. This is the first of his books I have read. Can't believe how different from the TV series this was. Craig Johnson writes like I think so this was a very personal reading experience for me. Can't wait to get into the rest of the series. ( )
  stevewhite71 | Mar 19, 2014 |
Loved this book. I started reading it after falling in love with the series Longmire on A&E. The books are great. Very smartly written and some great laugh-out-loud lines scattered throughout. I can't wait for the show to return nor can I wait to read the next book! ( )
  BeTheBuddha | Mar 3, 2014 |
The strong sense of place in this book's Wyoming setting reminds me of Tony Hillerman's mystery series set on the Navajo reservation in the Four Corners area - both bring the landscape to life and make me feel I am actually there with the characters, really seeing what they are seeing and experiencing what they are experiencing. The inclusion of Native American culture and belief are also reminiscent of Hillerman. Sheriff Walt Longmire is an immensely likable character, slightly flawed yet extraordinarily strong, surprisingly sensitive yet tough as nails, and the other characters are just as charming, interesting, and lovable. Even though I do not know much about guns and ballistics, I was still drawn into the story and intrigued by (though ignorant of) the use of both to move the mystery along, especially the history involving one special gun in particular. I like Longmire's thoughts as he is perusing the assortment of firearms at the local sporting goods store, "Some of them might be good, some of them might be bad, but there was no way to tell until somebody picked them up." How apropos for someone in law enforcement facing both sides of this particular coin. ( )
  michellebarton | Jan 23, 2014 |
Was going to watch the series, but downloading the book was quicker and, I suspect, better. I haven't enjoyed reading such a deadpan narrator since Archie Goodwin - Walt Longmire is a treasure. The mystery itself - the deaths of two men involved in the sexual assault of a young Indian girl - was also well paced, in and amongst the usual introductions and scene-setting of a first novel. I didn't see the end coming, but I suspect I was enjoying myself too much to think about whodunit (I was satisfied on a character development level by the identity of the killer, though). Second book already downloaded and ready to go! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jan 23, 2014 |
Revenge is a dish best served cold. --Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderlos de La Clos, _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_
For
The Dairy Princess of Wayne Count
And the Crack Shot of Cabell ...
"Bob Barnes says they got a dead body out on BLM land."

After twenty-four years as sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County, Walt Longmire's hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Prithcard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody had been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 buffalo rifle.
With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is nver served at all.

Introducing Wyoming’s Sheriff Walt Longmire in this riveting novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, the first in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love this outstanding first novel, in which New York Times bestselling author Craig Johnson introduces Sheriff Walt Longmire of Wyoming’s Absaroka County. Johnson draws on his deep attachment to the American West to produce a literary mystery of stunning authenticity, and full of memorable characters. After twenty-five years as sheriff of Absaroka County, Walt Longmire’s hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Pritchard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody has been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 rifle.

With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is never served at all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

When a local boy is found dead near the North Cheyenne reservation, most people assume it was an isolated incident, but when Sheriff Walt Longmire launches an investigation, he discovers that two years earlier, the dead boy and three other high school boys had been given suspended sentences for raping a Cheyenne girl. Soon, a second boy is gunned down, and only Sheriff Longmire can keep the other two safe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,421,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible