The cold dish by Craig Johnson

The cold dish (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Craig Johnson

Member:bfister
Title:The cold dish
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:New York : Viking, 2005.
Tags:Wyoming, crime fiction

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson (2004)

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: similar remote locations, small towns near Indian reservations, both are cold weather settings

English (75)  French (1)  All languages (76)
Other than the language, I really enjoyed the first story in the Longmire series. Great introduction to the characters or Walt (Longmire), Vic, Henry, and Ruby! If you like John Wayne (think The Shootist) you will love Sheriff Walter Longmire. As a life long fan of Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour I enjoyed the raw characters and their idiosyncrasies. Fun modern day western! ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
Read this one for my library mystery book group. Nice quick read this is the second Longmire book that I have read. A&E has also done a great job with the casting of the Longmire series based on Craig Johnson's books. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
This was a fantastic mystery/crime drama. The author writes very down to earth, colorful characters that will make you smile. Written in first person POV, Sheriff Longmire introduces us to his world as he investigates the death of Cody Pritchard. Things soon point to murder and possible revenge for another crime. Walt's inner voice was very engaging and drew me into the story. I felt like I was right there with him. His friendship with Henry Standing Bear was very endearing and probably my favorite part of the book. They shared an easy banter that helped ease the tension during the more suspenseful scenes. I enjoyed the plot and had no idea who the culprit was until the end of the story when Walt broke the case. The writing was witty and sharp, the type of book that just flows from one sentence to the next. I really enjoyed it and look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Wow. Way to rip out my heart and stomp on it, Mr. Johnson.

SPOILERS AHOY. Not obvious ones, but SPOILERS all the same.

I went into this book a bit skeptically. I've really enjoyed Longmire the TV show, but I don't always do well moving backwards to the books because the actors stay with me and interfere with the author's portrayals. The Walt and Henry of the books are older, heavier, and more thoroughly shaped by their Vietnam experiences, and Vic is totally different. But I really liked this Walt, he's more interesting to me than the TV version (sorry Mr. Taylor). Henry still feels like Lou Diamond Phillips, especially in his dialogue (I can hear the voice as I read), but he looks more like Eric Schweig on the page. I can live with that.

But back to the story. Walt, Henry, and the rest of the gang are trying to figure out who has been killing teenagers who sexually assaulted an Indian girl with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome a couple of years ago. They were found guilty but served very little time. There are plenty of possible suspects, including family and friends of Henry's who live on the reservation. While all this is going on, Walt is tentatively dating an old friend, Vonnie and trying to keep from losing all his staff at the Sheriff's office.

I found the mystery compelling and the characterizations strong. It was hard to remember that this was Johnson's debut mystery. The central relationship is between Walt and Henry, with a nice supporting one between Walt and Vic. I liked that Walt's gradual romance with Vonnie doesn't ramp up too quickly. There were plenty of suspects for the murder(s), and as usual I didn't spend a lot of time trying to guess who it was, I just read along.

And then, when it finally hit me in the face who the killer was, I was so angry. I read 275 pages to find out THIS was the person? Seriously? It really had to hit me in the face, even though there were plenty of clues when I started looking back. I just didn't want it to be true.

And yet, once I calmed down and stopped ranting, I was impressed. Yes, there is some obvious stuff going on in terms of motivation and backstory. And in some ways it's treading a far too well-worn path. But there is an interesting symmetry between the killer and another character in the book, and not in the way I would have expected.

And Johnson's voice is just terrific. I'm still on the fence about Walt's mystical experiences (how does someone who doesn't even understand the Cheyenne language have such deep understanding of the mythos?), but I'm definitely reading on. ( )
  Sunita_p | Mar 6, 2016 |
rating - 3.5
This is the tale of Walter Longmire. He is a rough and tough cowboy sheriff. His best friend is Henry Standing Bear. who turns out to be on the short list of suspect for a murder. But Walter knows it cant be him and tries to find things that lead to who the true murder could be. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Revenge is a dish best served cold. --Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderlos de La Clos, Les Liaisons Dangereuses
For
The Dairy Princess of Wayne Count
And the Crack Shot of Cabell ...
"Bob Barnes says they got a dead body out on BLM land."

After twenty-four years as sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County, Walt Longmire's hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Prithcard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody had been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 buffalo rifle.
With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is nver served at all.

Introducing Wyoming’s Sheriff Walt Longmire in this riveting novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, the first in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love this outstanding first novel, in which New York Times bestselling author Craig Johnson introduces Sheriff Walt Longmire of Wyoming’s Absaroka County. Johnson draws on his deep attachment to the American West to produce a literary mystery of stunning authenticity, and full of memorable characters. After twenty-five years as sheriff of Absaroka County, Walt Longmire’s hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Pritchard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody has been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 rifle.

With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is never served at all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

When a local boy is found dead near the North Cheyenne reservation, most people assume it was an isolated incident, but when Sheriff Walt Longmire launches an investigation, he discovers that two years earlier, the dead boy and three other high school boys had been given suspended sentences for raping a Cheyenne girl. Soon, a second boy is gunned down, and only Sheriff Longmire can keep the other two safe.… (more)

164 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible