The cold dish by Craig Johnson

The cold dish (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Craig Johnson

Member:bfister
Title:The cold dish
Authors:Craig Johnson
Info:New York : Viking, 2005.
Tags:Wyoming, crime fiction

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson (2004)

Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger (sjmccreary)
    sjmccreary: similar remote locations, small towns near Indian reservations, both are cold weather settings

English (58)  French (1)  All languages (59)
The Cold Dish is the first book in the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson, which is basis of the short lived A&E television show Longmire. While the book and show both have western mystery vibes, they have subtle differences. The book shares similar attributes but does not have the same feel as the television program, which seems to target western fans before adding any mystery or drama. I suspect the reason the show never really took off was the fact that everyone was middle aged.

Walt Longmire is the sheriff of the fictional Wyoming county of Absaroka. His only friend is Henry Standing Bear; together they remind me of a more serious Statler and Waldorf with their self-deprecation. The novel revolves around the death of Cody Pritchard, a man who two years earlier was suspected for raping a Cheyenne girl. Longmire is on the case and Henry helps him by being a liaison between the Sheriff’s office and the Cheyenne reservation in the effort to solve this crime.

I have only watched the first season of Longmire so it is hard to compare between the book and the show. I know Longmire is portrayed as rough and tough in the show but it leaves out a lot of his wit and humour. Deputy Victoria Moretti shows the most change between the book and series; her whole attitude and backstory played out in very different ways. To be honest I do not know why I did not watch any more of this show, I think it was a matter of timing and a busy schedule.

I read this for my Literary Exploration reading challenge and I thought a western with a mystery was the best way to experience this genre. While this novel is full of the typical mystery tropes, this was actually a very entertaining novel. The wry wit and self-deprecation is what worked for me within the novel; it almost makes me want to re-watch the TV show to see what I missed. I am tempted to read more of this series but I fear the formulaic elements will quickly get in the way.

This review originally appeared on my blog: http://literary-exploration.com/2014/11/16/the-cold-dish-by-craig-johnson/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed this very much and glad there is a series. The tv series is even decent. It isn't going to replace my love for Parker's Spenser series, but it will join my list of favored literary detectives, cops, sheriffs and other assorted law enforcement and private investigators. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Very well written. This is not for everyone, but it is a gritty mystery and if that's your thing, it is definitely worth the read. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
This is the first Longmire novel for me, and probably the last. I found it readable, and I enjoyed the characters- especially the colorful and often humorous (regional?) language. The use of Indian spirits and such is a bit much for my taste, and ultimately it's just another detective novel. ( )
  keithostertag | Sep 8, 2014 |
What an enjoyable read. Such great, vivacious characters and so many great one-liners. But don't let Johnson's humor fool you into thinking he's a one-trick pony. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) The painful parts are full of lyricism and gravitas without taking away from the story. Can't wait to read more by him. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Jul 21, 2014 |
Revenge is a dish best served cold. --Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderlos de La Clos, _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_
For
The Dairy Princess of Wayne Count
And the Crack Shot of Cabell ...
"Bob Barnes says they got a dead body out on BLM land."

After twenty-four years as sheriff of Wyoming's Absaroka County, Walt Longmire's hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Prithcard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody had been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 buffalo rifle.
With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is nver served at all.

Introducing Wyoming’s Sheriff Walt Longmire in this riveting novel from the New York Times bestselling author of Hell Is Empty and As the Crow Flies, the first in the Walt Longmire Mystery Series, the basis for LONGMIRE, the hit A&E original drama series

Fans of Ace Atkins, Nevada Barr and Robert B. Parker will love this outstanding first novel, in which New York Times bestselling author Craig Johnson introduces Sheriff Walt Longmire of Wyoming’s Absaroka County. Johnson draws on his deep attachment to the American West to produce a literary mystery of stunning authenticity, and full of memorable characters. After twenty-five years as sheriff of Absaroka County, Walt Longmire’s hopes of finishing out his tenure in peace are dashed when Cody Pritchard is found dead near the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. Two years earlier, Cody has been one of four high school boys given suspended sentences for raping a local Cheyenne girl. Somebody, it would seem, is seeking vengeance, and Longmire might be the only thing standing between the three remaining boys and a Sharps .45-70 rifle.

With lifelong friend Henry Standing Bear, Deputy Victoria Moretti, and a cast of characters both tragic and humorous enough to fill in the vast emptiness of the high plains, Walt Longmire attempts to see that revenge, a dish best served cold, is never served at all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

When a local boy is found dead near the North Cheyenne reservation, most people assume it was an isolated incident, but when Sheriff Walt Longmire launches an investigation, he discovers that two years earlier, the dead boy and three other high school boys had been given suspended sentences for raping a Cheyenne girl. Soon, a second boy is gunned down, and only Sheriff Longmire can keep the other two safe.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,382,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible