The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:srbr1212
Title:The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

This book doesn't deserve five stars. It deserves five BAJILLION stars.

The Iron Queen is the third installment into the Iron Fey series and is by far the most riveting book of it so far. It pulled at my heart-strings the whole time and I still enjoyed it!

I started out as a Team Puck fan, and so far I still am. However, I've started to feel pretty bad for Ash. Now, being on Team Puck here, this book is not going to make us Goodfellow fans any happier. In fact, it just takes our wishes and squishes them, and twists them, and stabs them. BUT (There is always a but.), in the end, I don't think anyone can help but feel sad for Ash. AND THEN PUCK. In the end, Puck shows his true emotions as much as anyone will probably ever see again. It made me want to cry.

On a more technical note, the plot was gripping, the characters were just amazing as ever(!!!), and the scenery never failed to amaze...I think that' s just Kagawa's infallible talent for writing. I can't wait for the fourth, and last, book either. I can't believe it will be the last! This is definitely a series I want to continue forever, because I just absolutely love the characters and the world and /everything/. (I mean, how many people walk around with hand drawn pics of Puck on their binders, or walk around pointing at a raven in a tree saying that it's Puck come to take me to Faery!? I know I do) If this series becomes as famous as the Lord of the Rings series, I swear I'd be the master of the Puck-dom. THAT is how much I love this series, and I swear you will too. Even if you go Team Ash.

So, if you need something new to read, or if you have so many books to read that you're simply drowing in them...read this NOW. Read the series, and you won't regret it. ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Plot: The world created by Kagawa is amazing and magical. The detail that she gives about this imaginary world really helps the reader understand and even care about where her characters are from. Iron Fey are completely unique to this series and I don’t think I’ve ever read anything about or like them before. The plot is filled with action, romance and suspense. There is never a dull moment and our heroic trio is always on the move. There are a lot of twists and turns throughout the story and even some unexpected endings. I can’t really say much more about it without giving away important details and events, so you’re just going to have to read and find out.

Characters: It amazed me how much the characters grew from the beginning of the series. Meghan, once an an insecure 15 year old, turns into a strong, confident young adult. She is ready to take on anything that is thrown her way and is not afraid to sacrifice herself for the ones she loves. She has quickly become one of my favorite heroines. Ash and Puck are also back for this book; it wouldn’t be the same without them. The two boys realize that they need to put their differences aside in order to help the girl they both love. Along with all the returning characters we also get to meet some new ones: Glitch, Razor, and the Clockmaker.

Cover: Once again, I loved the cover. So far they have all been similar, yet different and I love it when books in a series have a certain theme to them.

Overall Impression: AMAZING! Great ending to an even greater series. I am dying to read Ash’s story, The Iron Knight, which comes out later this year. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
The Iron Queen is the third installment in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.
The Iron Queen picks up right after the end of The Iron Daughter. Meghan, daughter of the Summer King and Ash, son of the Winter Queen were exiled from the Nevernever for falling in love, something that is forbidden by the two courts.

Ash and Meghan are thinking what their future will held in this new life in the “real” world far away from the intrigues and life of the Nevernever. Meghan wants to go back home to Louisiana, she dreams of being reunited with her mother, step-father and brother and live a normal life in company of Ash, but when she gets close to their house she realizes that her family will be at risk just for her been there with them.
She also realizes that for her and hers to be ever at peace the False Iron King has to die. She decides to start training with Ash. Puck has followed them, in consequence he is also exiled from the Nevernever. Ash is helping Meghan with her fighting skills and Puck is helping her with her training in glamour.

While Meghan is doing some progress with her trainings she is offer a deal from her father King Oberon and from Ash’s mother Queen Mab, they offer to lift the exile for her, Ash and Puck, giving them full pardon for their crimes if she returns to the Nevernever and goes deep into the Iron Realm and kills the False Iron King before the Iron realm overtakes the Summer and Winter Realms.
Though she doesn’t like that they are considering and treating her as an assassin, she knows she has to do it and for her failing is not an option.

Meghan grows Page by page, she is a different person emotionally and physically. She knows what she has to do and nothing will stop her because she’s willing to do whatever is necessary to obtain it.

Ash show us his heart in this book and what a heart he has. I liked him in the previous books but I loved him in this one. I ❤ him.
Ash and Meghan relationship gets cemented in this installment, they are good for each other, they laid bare their emotions and show us that their love is beautiful and pure, their devotion to each other is a real bliss.

Puck also proves his love for Meghan and even though he’s deeply in love with her, he’s knows that she loves Ash and respects that, because her love for her is so great that he wants for her whatever makes her happy.

Grimalkin also makes an appearance in this book. I’m a cat lover and he’s a perfect example of a cat, he does what he wants when he wants. He is a great help along the way even though he behaves like he doesn’t care and things are not his business. I love this character.

The end of the book left my heart hurting and wishing tomorrow was November to get my hands in the next instalment, The Iron Knight.

I love this series, but The Iron Queen surpassed my expectations. Ms. Kagawa is an amazing writer, I love the world created by her, it’s so vivid and rich in detail that I just need to close my eyes to see it and feel it in front of me.

I don’t have anything negative to say about this book, the only thing left for me to tell you is that if you haven’t read this book you shouldn’t wait more, go get it NOW! You won’t regret it.
If you haven’t read this series I recommend you to read it in order.

My favorite quotes:

“For better or worse, I’m afraid you’re stuck with me now” (Ash to Meghan)
“I have always loved you, princess,” Robin Goodfellow promised, his green eyes shining in the darkness. “I always will. And I’ll take whatever you can give me”
“I won’t let anything happen to you,” he murmured. “You are my heart, my life, my entire existence.” (Ash to Meghan)
“And in the quiet stillness before dawn, on the brink of a war that could tear us apart, our auras danced and twined in the darkness, coiling around each other until they finally merged, becoming one.” ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
This is by far my favorite book in this series so far. I love that Meghan finally grows her spine out and finally starts wanting to do things for herself. I was so happy when I started reading this book. It is excellent. I hated how, yet again, the fairy monarchs needed her to come to their rescue, and as usual, she stood up and did what was right.

I love seeing the relationship between Ash and Meghan grow as well as the many other relationships we see in this book. I also have to admit to tearing up at the end of this book. There is definitely not a cliff hanger at the end but it's not a HEA...there is definitely still more to this story and I can't wait to read it.

The way Ms. Kagawa formats and executes this book is flawless and beautiful. It wasn't predictable and I loved it. Can't wait to read The Iron Knight. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I am always intrigued at the way imaginary lands creatures carry over from one story to another. This series by Julie Kagawa is an excellent example of that.

image from LibraryThing
The first book - The Iron King - takes place partly in the our world and partly in the world of Faery - where King Oberon has had a half faery daughter named Meghan who figures out on her 16th birthday when she figures out her 4 yr old brother has been switched with a changeling. As the Faery sight begins to emerge she realizes that her great friend Robbie is actually her protector Puck or Robin Goodfellow...sound familiar? It's Midsummers night dream tied in to today's world.

But that isn't the only twist - the faery world of NeverNever is slowly dying due to a strange new fey of iron. Iron is the killer of all faery creatures - one touch is deadly. Who knew?! And there is a king aiming to take over the entire world of NeverNever.

image from LibraryThing
Meghan crosses path with Ash, the hunter from the winter court and sworn enemy of Puck and Grimalkin the Cait Sith (that is a fancy way of calling him the cheshire cat from Alice). This group comes together to defeat the Iron King and in so doing Meghan finds a part of herself she had no idea existed.

Iron Daughter picks up right where Iron King ends. I love books that do that!

image from LibraryThing
But - I really felt like each of the next books didn't have quite the build up the first one did. As a reader, the excitement Meghan felt as she was discovering her identity was gone. Instead, it was a slow smoldering romance. I wasn't as interested...but I can't seem to stop in the middle of a series. I wanted to know how Meghan overcomes the obstacles that her father and Mab the Winter Queen throw in front of her. I wanted to know if her relationship grows with Ash and if he decides what his real priorities are and if he and Puck continue the feud. And probably most importantly I wanted to know how Meghan defeats the false Iron King.

And that took us through the next two books.

The Iron Knight was completely different. Ash was the main character on a quest to become human so he could be with Meghan and the Iron Fey. When I started this one I just wanted it to be over. It felt like the final season of ER - I just really didn't care anymore - but I had put enough time in that I didn't want to quit. At least that is how I felt at the beginning. It did draw me in. I did care about Ash and Puck. I really didn't like Ariella though. But - my favorite characters were Grimalkin and The Big Bad Wolf. They were great!

So - I really liked these books. I thought they were interesting and a new twist on the fairy tales we know. Great ideas! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
Summer Fades. Ice Melts. Here's What's Left.
To Erica and Gail, Ash's biggest fans. And to Nick, always my inspiration.
Eleven years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared

Meghan Chase, who is half faery, half human, knows that the struggle against the Iron Fey is not yet over and that they will tear her away from the banished prince she loves and force her into battles she may not survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible