The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:srbr1212
Title:The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

This is by far my favorite book in this series so far. I love that Meghan finally grows her spine out and finally starts wanting to do things for herself. I was so happy when I started reading this book. It is excellent. I hated how, yet again, the fairy monarchs needed her to come to their rescue, and as usual, she stood up and did what was right.

I love seeing the relationship between Ash and Meghan grow as well as the many other relationships we see in this book. I also have to admit to tearing up at the end of this book. There is definitely not a cliff hanger at the end but it's not a HEA...there is definitely still more to this story and I can't wait to read it.

The way Ms. Kagawa formats and executes this book is flawless and beautiful. It wasn't predictable and I loved it. Can't wait to read The Iron Knight. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I am always intrigued at the way imaginary lands creatures carry over from one story to another. This series by Julie Kagawa is an excellent example of that.

image from LibraryThing
The first book - The Iron King - takes place partly in the our world and partly in the world of Faery - where King Oberon has had a half faery daughter named Meghan who figures out on her 16th birthday when she figures out her 4 yr old brother has been switched with a changeling. As the Faery sight begins to emerge she realizes that her great friend Robbie is actually her protector Puck or Robin Goodfellow...sound familiar? It's Midsummers night dream tied in to today's world.

But that isn't the only twist - the faery world of NeverNever is slowly dying due to a strange new fey of iron. Iron is the killer of all faery creatures - one touch is deadly. Who knew?! And there is a king aiming to take over the entire world of NeverNever.

image from LibraryThing
Meghan crosses path with Ash, the hunter from the winter court and sworn enemy of Puck and Grimalkin the Cait Sith (that is a fancy way of calling him the cheshire cat from Alice). This group comes together to defeat the Iron King and in so doing Meghan finds a part of herself she had no idea existed.

Iron Daughter picks up right where Iron King ends. I love books that do that!

image from LibraryThing
But - I really felt like each of the next books didn't have quite the build up the first one did. As a reader, the excitement Meghan felt as she was discovering her identity was gone. Instead, it was a slow smoldering romance. I wasn't as interested...but I can't seem to stop in the middle of a series. I wanted to know how Meghan overcomes the obstacles that her father and Mab the Winter Queen throw in front of her. I wanted to know if her relationship grows with Ash and if he decides what his real priorities are and if he and Puck continue the feud. And probably most importantly I wanted to know how Meghan defeats the false Iron King.

And that took us through the next two books.

The Iron Knight was completely different. Ash was the main character on a quest to become human so he could be with Meghan and the Iron Fey. When I started this one I just wanted it to be over. It felt like the final season of ER - I just really didn't care anymore - but I had put enough time in that I didn't want to quit. At least that is how I felt at the beginning. It did draw me in. I did care about Ash and Puck. I really didn't like Ariella though. But - my favorite characters were Grimalkin and The Big Bad Wolf. They were great!

So - I really liked these books. I thought they were interesting and a new twist on the fairy tales we know. Great ideas! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
*Spoiler-free.

My reviews of Iron Fey books 1 and 2 were all over the place. This time around, I decided to take notes in the event that I forgot things when review time came around. I now have a list a mile long. Sigh. Here goes.

While this book was marginally better than its predecessors, there is still a whole lot of silly goings ons. I am unable to fully immerse myself into these stories and it's so unbelievably frustrating. I want to immerse myself. I want to believe. Is that not the purpose of reading fiction and fantasy? Alas, it eludes me with this series.

When I read other reviews, I'm astounded. There are a slew of 5 star reviews. How can so many people see this as a 5 star book? Is it that I'm special and I hold books to a higher standard? Nah. I conclude that people love to love books and often ignore glaring discrepancies. People also love to click that 5th star. Anywho, on to the gripe fest.. This is likely to be long.

- The "Sudden & Misplaced Rage Syndrome." Meghan does it again. That misplaced RAGE at slights that she takes not a moment to try and understand. Coupled with the displacement of supposedly adored people in her life. "You did what?! I instantly hate you and can't believe that everything we've ever shared has been a farce! I don't care if you die right now!" (NOT a direct quote in the slightest.) Dang, girl. Take it easy. I get that Puck asking Leanansidhe to take her dad away was hurtful and that him not telling her was also hurtful, but he didn't have a choice. She was a child and, as mentioned throughout this series, was never intended to know anything about fairies. How could he have told her? So, while it's normal to have anger for what she's lost, it is not normal to INSTANTLY feel rage and decide that Puck has only been pretending to be her best friend for practically HER ENTIRE LIFE. Really, Meghan? This negates YEARS of servitude and friendship in an instant? You can't, at the very least, be bothered to discuss the circumstances surrounding his actions before making a rash decision to instantly hate YOUR BEST FRIEND AND PROTECTOR? Then, you suck.

- "The Way Meghan Perceives Grim." Constantly. Constantly! We are bashed over the head with how selfish and cunning this cat is. How he'd take advantage of anyone and everyone to get ahead. Constantly. Even still in book 3. Wtf. Let's really look at Meghan's history with Grim. In the very beginning, Grim did coerce her into making a self-serving deal. He wanted a favor owed from the Summer King. True that. What has he done since? Nothing but help her and save her ass countless times without asking anything in return!!! He has even used favors owed to him by other fairies to help her!!! And still Meghan is constantly going on about how selfish and sneaky the cat is and how he'd sell anyone out. Shut the fuck up, Meghan! You ungrateful twit!

- Direct quote: "On the second day, we reached the edge of a vast desert, a sea of sand dunes, rising and falling with the wind. I’d never seen the ocean, but I imagined it must be something like this, only with water instead of sand..."
Wait. So, the desert is just like an ocean, but devoid of water? In other words, not like an ocean at all, but more like a DESERT. So, essentially, you're saying that the DESERT is like a DESERT. Sigh. Am I the only one bothered by nonsense like this? Yah. I nitpick.

- Ariella. How many times are you gonna bring this ghost up, Ash? I swear, if my boyfriend compared me to Ariella even 1/4 as many times as Ash does Meghan, I'd scratch his eyes out. Stfu, Ash! This is an A & B relationship, so Ariella, C ya!

- "Ash's prophecy." (Big frikkin eye roll.) How convenient. How contrived. How lame is this Winter Prince that the worst that he's done is make a human girl fall in love with him and then dumped her? What a fuckin cop-out. He's supposed to be a badass and this is the best Kagawa could come up with? He inadvertently killed a girl by way of broken heart... and he didn't even care. Wow. He's almost as scary and his useless mother. (I griped about her in my review of Iron Daughter. ) What the hell happened to Ash? Since when is he such a lame-o?

- The "Aura Twining"... (Even bigger eye roll.) I know this is kind of a moot point as this happens in countless PNR novels, but if Ash was a 48 yr old fairy instead of a centuries old fairy, would you still see it as a-ok for him to twine his 48 yr old aura with Meghan's 16 yr old aura? Would you still think their relationship was swoon-worthy? Me neither. Ick.

- I'm all for progression and shit, but Meghan being the 16 yr old equivalent of Braveheart after a few weeks of training? (Biggest eye roll yet.)

- "The Scooby Doo Villain Reveal" was especially stupid. How could she not have known? I read the whole book knowing who the villain would be, but her whole, "You?!" How could I not have realized it'd be YOU?!" bit was supremely Scooby Doo.

- The "I Suddenly Realized Syndrome". You mean, you've been fighting logic throughout this entire story and in the last few pages, you suddenly realize everything you need to know/remember/do and we are to revere you for your wisdom and growth? (Eyes roll out of face.)

- "2 Pucks 1 Tertius." While Ash fights Rowan and Meghan sacrifices her intestines for the benefit of the Nevernever, 2 Pucks hold 1 Tertius down and slay him. Why the fuck doesn't Puck ALWAYS do this? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

- "I'm Dying. Let's Talk About It." At length. Meghan is dying. She's DYING. Get a move on and quit discussing nonsense! If she says move, then move! And don't get me started on Puck's ridiculous farewell.. (eyes roll.. on floor.)

I know. It's a lot of griping, but I can't not see these things. That's why I don't understand the slew of 5 star ratings. Because I've torn this book a new asshole, allow me to touch upon a couple of positives, though I'm unsure of their significance in light of the next book being Ash's POV:

- Meghan is stronger than ever before. She's trying to come into her own and I'm glad for that. She's just not there yet for me and as this was the last book in her POV, I really needed to see that.

- The introduction of new memorable characters. I was happy to see new, interesting characters introduced, but I'm concerned they won't be prominent in Ash's book.

- I liked where Meghan's story ended and despite my gripes, I liked the direction she was heading. I thought she ended strongly.

- I give credit where it's due - Kagawa's world-building is, as always, strong. She definitely creates very interesting side characters. It's only her MC's that are lackluster to me.

- That's it.

I'm gonna go read Summer's Crossing now and keep my fingers crossed for The Iron Knight. I'm too far in now to give up. All I can do is hope for the best and brace for the worst, as it's obvious I cannot go by the reviews for this series.. =/ ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Just another lovely book from Julie Kagawa. I only wish there had been just a FEW more chapters (or perhaps another book) about Ash and Puck's journey at the end. Otherwise, a solid 4-1/2 stars from this satisfied reader! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Just when Meghan thought she was done with the fey, having been expelled from Nevernever for failing to renounce her love for Ash, the youngest Winter court prince, she's dragged back in.

While hoping to reconnect with her family in Louisiana, Meghan and Ash run into Iron fey mercenaries sent by the False Iron King to drag her back. Not wanting to harm her human family, she and Ash seek shelter from the Exile Queen, hoping to buy themselves some time while they come up with a strategy. Unfortunately, they don't get build a solid strategy as she's beckoned by her father, Oberon the Summer king to come back to nevernever to help them fight the Iron Fey.

Determined to overthrow the False King, Meghan agrees to help the Summer and Winter courts, but only if they give full pardons to Ash and Puck. Meghan knows neither of them could live very long in the iron lands and wants to make sure they have someplace safe to go. But being Ash and Puck, they vow to go with Meghan.

I think this was my favorite of the series. Meghan's not quite so wimpy and wondering "why her". She's maturing and starting thinking of what her choices mean to everyone, if they aren't the choices the others would make.

Can't wait to read the Iron Knight, because I have a feeling Ash is going to do something spectacular!

cocktailsandbooks | Apr 7, 2014 |
Summer Fades. Ice Melts. Here's What's Left.
To Erica and Gail, Ash's biggest fans. And to Nick, always my inspiration.
Eleven years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared

Meghan Chase, who is half faery, half human, knows that the struggle against the Iron Fey is not yet over and that they will tear her away from the banished prince she loves and force her into battles she may not survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,012,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible