The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) by Julie…

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:LaneLiterati
Title:The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:Harlequin Teen (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Rating:*****
Tags:Linsey Milillo, 2013

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Recently added bySuicide-Squad, private library, IrisCollins, silverr, MABoone

Just another lovely book from Julie Kagawa. I only wish there had been just a FEW more chapters (or perhaps another book) about Ash and Puck's journey at the end. Otherwise, a solid 4-1/2 stars from this satisfied reader! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Just when Meghan thought she was done with the fey, having been expelled from Nevernever for failing to renounce her love for Ash, the youngest Winter court prince, she's dragged back in.

While hoping to reconnect with her family in Louisiana, Meghan and Ash run into Iron fey mercenaries sent by the False Iron King to drag her back. Not wanting to harm her human family, she and Ash seek shelter from the Exile Queen, hoping to buy themselves some time while they come up with a strategy. Unfortunately, they don't get build a solid strategy as she's beckoned by her father, Oberon the Summer king to come back to nevernever to help them fight the Iron Fey.

Determined to overthrow the False King, Meghan agrees to help the Summer and Winter courts, but only if they give full pardons to Ash and Puck. Meghan knows neither of them could live very long in the iron lands and wants to make sure they have someplace safe to go. But being Ash and Puck, they vow to go with Meghan.

I think this was my favorite of the series. Meghan's not quite so wimpy and wondering "why her". She's maturing and starting thinking of what her choices mean to everyone, if they aren't the choices the others would make.

Can't wait to read the Iron Knight, because I have a feeling Ash is going to do something spectacular!

cocktailsandbooks | Apr 7, 2014 |
Note: This is Book Three in a series. There are spoilers for Books One and Two, but none for this book.

This is Book Three of the Iron Fey Series, which began with The Iron King and continued with The Iron Daughter .

This book starts shortly after the events at the end of Book Two. Half-Summer-fey Meghan Chase and the all-fey Winter Prince Ash have been exiled out of Nevernever back to the human world. In spite of helping to save Summer and Winter from the Iron Fey Court, they committed the more egregious crime of falling in love with one another.

Meg is now seventeen and Ash is no longer a prince, and the two are on their way to Meg’s old home in Louisiana to tell her parents she is back home and ready to resume a "normal" life. But just outside her house she encounters Iron Fey, sent by the new False King of the Iron Court. He wants to capture Meg in order to obtain the iron magic power she acquired when she killed Machina, the real Iron King. Meg realizes she can’t go home and endanger her family:

"The choice loomed clear before me. If I ever wanted this endless running and fighting to stop, I would have to deal with the Iron King. Again.”

And there you have the plot of this book.

In order to prepare for her potentially lethal encounter, Meg needs to learn how to fight, which Ash teaches her. Her friend Puck tries to train her to use her magic skills, but because she now has the magic from both the Summer Court and the Iron Court, they are in conflict. Trying to use one or the other makes her sick. However, Meg gets some unexpected insights at the house of Leanansidhe, Queen of the Exiles, in between the human and fairy worlds, where the friends return for help. Leanansidhe also points out to Meg that eventually, she will have to do more than just react to events:

"Like it or not, dove, you’ve become a major player in this war. You’re balanced on the edge of everything - faery and mortal, Summer and Iron, the old ways the march of progress. Which way will you fall? Which side will you choose?”

By the end of this book, Meg is forced to make that choice, and either decision will involve an unbearable sacrifice. ( )
  nbmars | Feb 28, 2014 |
The latest installment of the Iron Fey series kicks off right where we left off. Meghan and Ash have been banished from Nevernever and are headed for the mortal world. But the False King is still after Meghan and the war between the Summer, Winter, and Iron courts continues. The False King could destroy the entire faery world unless he is stopped. Meghan faces her biggest challenge yet in The Iron Queen.

I read all three addictive books in the Iron Fey series back to back and I think this is my favorite book of the series. It is a thrilling fantasy, with adventure and drama, colorful characters, and an epic romance all set in a magical world. Ms. Kagawa’s descriptive writing flows effortlessly and paints a vivid picture of the story. The humor that is sprinkled throughout the story makes it even more enjoyable.

The characters in this series are strong and compelling. The protagonist Meghan goes through many emotional trials and tribulations and comes out much stronger for it. She has grown quite a bit since The Iron King and has become a force to be reckoned with. It is satisfying to see her growth and to see her accept herself and face her challenges head on. Ash, the Winter prince, really shines in this book. I have been a fan of his character all along, but I was won over by his honesty and devotion to Meghan. Puck, the Summer prince, also shows some new sides to his character. He impresses me with his loyalty to Meghan and his humor. Grimalkin, the resourceful cat, is another favorite character. Ms. Kagawa does a great job of integrating new characters, and I found a few new favorites in this book.

Romance takes a little more of a focus in this book. Ash and Meghan have a little time between battles to get to know each other better, including playing board games! Ash has some swoon-worthy moments, and I root for them as a couple.

This book is fast paced and has several nail biting moments. The final scenes are emotionally charged, heart wrenching, and intense. I was satisfied with the ending, but am also relieved there will be another book in this series.

I highly recommend this engaging series to anyone who enjoys young adult fantasy books. You won’t be disappointed! The next book in the series will be Ash’s story: The Iron Knight.

Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for the opportunity to read the digital galley. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
So glad I have the next book on the way. Don't think I would have been alright with waiting. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
To Erica and Gail, Ash's biggest fans. And to Nick, always my inspiration.
Eleven years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared

Meghan Chase, who is half faery, half human, knows that the struggle against the Iron Fey is not yet over and that they will tear her away from the banished prince she loves and force her into battles she may not survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible