The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

Member:bibliothequaire
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, Young Adult Literature

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

English (137)  Italian (2)  All languages (139)
This would have help my interest more if Bray wasn't trying to write the beginnings of a grand series here. She introduced too many characters and storylines that I couldn't (or didn't want to) keep straight. And when we weren't with the main 4 or 5 characters, damn, this story dragged.

I'd like to know more about these mysterious Diviners, but I think I'll wait to read the summary on Wikipedia or something. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Evie, an outspoken youngster from Ohio is sent away be her family to live with a strange uncle in Jazz Age New York City and ends up helping him try to solve a series of occultist murders. An outlandish premise, but we also learn that Evie is one of many characters with extrasensory powers (the titular "Diviners") and that there's a man who is part machine, so just roll with it. The characters are richly defined and help hold together a story that's a little like Ghostbusters, but 60 years earlier. The narration of January LaVoy captures the carefree spirit and hidden genius of Evie O'Neill and her comrades in this historical paranormal horror mystery. ( )
  Othemts | Mar 26, 2016 |
Evie is a would-be flapper with too much spunk and too little common sense. After exposing a boy's shameful secret at a party, Evie is exiled to New York City to stay with her uncle. The city has all the booze and parties that she'd hoped for, but it also contains a terrible mystery: a serial killer is stalking the streets, and only Evie and her uncle can find and stop him.

I do really like Evie, who never thinks ahead but whose intemperate actions are often more effective than any plan. That said, I don't like that she's become involved with Jericho, who her best friend has been in love with for years. Thou shalt not move in on your friend's crush, especially if your friend is continually sacrificing her own interests for yours. This is the first instance in which Evie seemed not just thoughtless but outright selfish, and it soured the end for me. The other thing that soured the ending for me was that there WAS NO FUCKING ENDING. After slogging through five hundred goddamn pages of minor characters infodumping their sadsack backstories in lieu of plot development, the serial killer is stopped. Huzzah! Except then there are about six more chapters to go, each containing yet another mystical portent that This is Just the Beginning, and that Something Worse is Coming. Well I don't give a crap. The pacing in this book was so incredibly terrible that even though I liked the characters and Bray's Jazz Age, I will not torture myself with more of this series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book was creepy, gory, and definitely disturbing. Yet, despite all that, I loved it! I can't wait for the sequel! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by January LaVoy. Evie's parents are punishing her by sending her off to New York City to spend time with her Uncle Will. New York City in the 1920s? Evie can't wait to really start living. But during her stay, a string of brutal murders with ties to the occult is taking place. Evie, Uncle Will, his assistant Jericho, and several other characters soon find themselves inextricably tied to events in one way or another. LaVoy is energetic not only in summoning the tone of the Roaring '20s but in her vivid portrayals of a range of personalities: lively, outgoing Evie; restrained and serious Uncle Will; sultry and confident chorus girl Theta; not to mention John Jacob McCall and his hellbent resurrection. Entertaining and at times creepily scary. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,901,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible