The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

Member:readerspeak
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, teen fiction, horror, fantasy, mystery, historical fiction

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, WildAngel, IrisCollins, DBReads, MABoone, suzie556, MCHBurke, ChickensAreBrave

English (103)  Italian (2)  All languages (105)
I absolutely adored this book. The characters and plotare fantastic and I loved the 1920s setting.I can't wait for the sequel. ( )
  elfie1980 | Jul 2, 2014 |
  elfie1980 | Jul 2, 2014 |
The Diviners by Libba Bray was EVERYTHING I hoped it would be. Not only is it set during a fascinating time period full of gangsters, booze and changing fads… but it is also set in a time during which spiritualism and voodoo were being brought out from behind closed doors.

This book combined both of these 1920 ideals perfectly. It was creepy and charming all at the same time.

The Diviners book predominantly follows a girl named Evie who is exiled from her small hometown into the bustling streets of the big apple. During her time spent in New York with her Uncle Will she begins to discover things about herself… and about the city’s strange past.

With murder, romance, magic and more its hard to close this book once you’ve picked it up. This book is pos-i-tutely incredible and I can't wait to read more.

5/5 stars to The Diviners and I have to say… probably my favorite work by the queen herself.. Libba Bray! ( )
  WriteReviews | Jun 11, 2014 |
This one was my favorite of this year. Libba Bray seems to me to be one of the most versatile writers. This one takes place in the raucous 1920's. The main character is smart, but flawed. The story is unique, but not outlandish. There are many convenient coincidence, but you just don't mind in this suspenseful book. There are a few scary parts of this book, as there are murders in the story. Someone sensitive to that should not have this book recommended to him/her. ( )
  SparklePonies | May 1, 2014 |
Im torn with this book simply because for the most part the main plot was awesome but the first half of the book was for me boring!!! Its a big book and I was going to leave it and not finish it but Im glad I did. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

170 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,554,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible