The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

9141019,547 (4)36
Member:readerspeak
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, teen fiction, horror, fantasy, mystery, historical fiction

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

English (99)  Italian (2)  All languages (101)
Of course I loved this. Knew I would, it's YA historical fiction, with nicely spooky elements, an atmosphere that made me forget the 21st century in favor of the 1920s, and nasty, gory murders.

I didn't realize until after I had finished that it's part of a series. The story felt complete to me as itself, I like it ending on an ominous-something-looming note. But I'll be curious how it continues. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
Set in the era of speakeasies and jazz this novel follows Evie from her boring Ohio hometown to Manhattan. On top of the excitement of leaving Ohio she finds herself helping to track a serial killer and discovering that she is not alone in possessing a special gift. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 19, 2014 |
Oh Libba Bray. Is there anything you can't do? This book was a delightful supernatural journey AND I picked up some snazzy Prohibition Era slang. Awesome read for boys and girls, teens and adults. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 12, 2014 |
Very spooky. Loved the roaring 20s timeline. Good plot and characters but a tad too long. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 11, 2014 |
  LaneLiterati | Mar 11, 2014 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

170 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible