The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

Member:stephiewonder
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Favorites, Wishlist
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, historical, mystery, fantasy, supernatural, romance

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

English (139)  Italian (2)  All languages (141)
An Audio Sensation!! Libba Bray knocked it out of the park with The Diviners! It had it all- mystery, fantasy, historical fiction and the supernatural with a whole bunch of quirky and unique characters. The story was truly fantastic in itself but the audiobook really took it to another level! The narrator, January LaVoy was absolutely fabulous!!  It was the best narration I have heard in a long time. You won't hear a boring monotonous monologue with her. She literally transports you back to the 1920's and brings the characters and story to life.  I would definitely recommend listening to the audio version versus just reading the book if you want to get the full effect. I've seen some reviewers complain that the book was so long but it didn't feel that way listening to the audio. I was so entranced in the story that it went by fast for me. This was the first time I have read anything by Bray or heard LaVoy narrate but it won't be my last. They are both going on my favorites list. I just can't say enough good things about them. Lair of Dreams is the second book in the series and I've heard it's better then the first which is hard to imagine because The Diviners set the bar pretty high. It was incredible- a definite home run in my book! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This was compelling, and creppy - something that would give a person nightmares, unless that person never had nightmares except of serial killers. In this a group of teens who do not know each other, brush each other's lives as Evie, one of them, fights to prevent a ghost from summoning the Beast from the grave. It is a curious mix of biblical and supernatural, so it feels as though it could have happened. And her descriptions are good. She does get "writery" in some chapters as she describes the wind or the city, but that is okay, as this is a young adult book, and it alters a smattering of romance, the sort high school girls yearn for in their own boring love lives, with proper literature - symbols and personification and extended metaphors, so that students become a bit more cultured before moving on.
The main character is a flapper, and her brother died in the Great War, and she has the ability to see a person's past through an object that is dear to them. She is sent to her uncle's Museum of the Creepy Crawlers after bringing shame upon the family in Ohio, and she lives up Manhattan to the fullest, though she shows herself resourceful, smart and brave as the Bretheren, the bad guys, start to raise the antichrist. There is an excellent framework set down for the future books, but there is enough of a story to carry you through Evie's battle, that you believe the other people are going to play a part in the final countdown, and even though they don't, they still feel essential to the larger story of the series. ( )
  trinityM82 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This would have help my interest more if Bray wasn't trying to write the beginnings of a grand series here. She introduced too many characters and storylines that I couldn't (or didn't want to) keep straight. And when we weren't with the main 4 or 5 characters, damn, this story dragged.

I'd like to know more about these mysterious Diviners, but I think I'll wait to read the summary on Wikipedia or something. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Evie, an outspoken youngster from Ohio is sent away be her family to live with a strange uncle in Jazz Age New York City and ends up helping him try to solve a series of occultist murders. An outlandish premise, but we also learn that Evie is one of many characters with extrasensory powers (the titular "Diviners") and that there's a man who is part machine, so just roll with it. The characters are richly defined and help hold together a story that's a little like Ghostbusters, but 60 years earlier. The narration of January LaVoy captures the carefree spirit and hidden genius of Evie O'Neill and her comrades in this historical paranormal horror mystery. ( )
  Othemts | Mar 26, 2016 |
Evie is a would-be flapper with too much spunk and too little common sense. After exposing a boy's shameful secret at a party, Evie is exiled to New York City to stay with her uncle. The city has all the booze and parties that she'd hoped for, but it also contains a terrible mystery: a serial killer is stalking the streets, and only Evie and her uncle can find and stop him.

I do really like Evie, who never thinks ahead but whose intemperate actions are often more effective than any plan. That said, I don't like that she's become involved with Jericho, who her best friend has been in love with for years. Thou shalt not move in on your friend's crush, especially if your friend is continually sacrificing her own interests for yours. This is the first instance in which Evie seemed not just thoughtless but outright selfish, and it soured the end for me. The other thing that soured the ending for me was that there WAS NO FUCKING ENDING. After slogging through five hundred goddamn pages of minor characters infodumping their sadsack backstories in lieu of plot development, the serial killer is stopped. Huzzah! Except then there are about six more chapters to go, each containing yet another mystical portent that This is Just the Beginning, and that Something Worse is Coming. Well I don't give a crap. The pacing in this book was so incredibly terrible that even though I liked the characters and Bray's Jazz Age, I will not torture myself with more of this series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,364,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible