The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

1,2251196,502 (4)50
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Teen, Read but unowned
Tags:teen fiction, 2012, MockPrintz2013, fantasy, 1920s, New York, Harlem, speakeasies, music, Prohibition, magic, murder, supernatural, mystery, amateur detectives, historical fiction, psychics, uncles

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

Recently added byART443, jljaina, private library, SKnap, ewarner, pattykins42, mongoosenamedt, amysisson, EHS-LMC

English (117)  Italian (2)  All languages (119)
I thought that Bray did a wonderful job on interweaving narratives of the different characters who will eventually be the Diviners.
I will say that, initially it was hard for me to read this book. Then I picked up the audiobook, read by January LaVoy, and I listened to it in one day! LaVoy did justice by the book, as she always does, and made the story compelling with proper enunciation, nuances, and vocal ranges. ( )
  lemonlibrarian | Oct 3, 2015 |
Ain’t we got fun?! The Diviners immediately captures the vibrancy and optimism of the 1920’s by opening on a party in full swing. At that same party, something dark and disturbing is unknowingly unleashed and so the conflict between good and evil, spirit and flesh begins.…http://www.theloopylibrarian.com/book-review-the-diviners-by-libba-bray/ ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Sep 8, 2015 |
@diviners +john_green ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
I don't understand the breathless hype that surrounds this book. The dialogue alone drove me nuts.

I can't believe that people who lived in the 1920s used every form of modern slang available to them while engaging in general conversation.

It might be just me, but I hate it when I hear phrases in today's society like "Totes Amaze" or "YOLO," so I found it very hard to enjoy a book that forces its protagonist to say "I'm posi-tootly ducky for that boy!" or "Get on the trolley" or "spifficated" or "hotsy totsy" or any of the other hundreds of annoying phrases in this book.

I honestly think Bray Googled "1920s slang" and just made sure she used 85% of the list provided on the first hit.

Also, I found myself honestly wishing Evie would get eviscerated by the villain, she's that annoying.

Turd city. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
The Diviners takes place in New York city during the 1920s and follows the lives of several young people with special powers who are fighting evil forces (or will be fighting evil forces in later books in series.) I thought the book spent too much time discussing all the Prohibition partying and the 1920s lingo got on my nerves after a while. The story itself wasn't bad, and Bray is a talented writer. She did a good job creating the setting and I really liked the feel of the novel, it just didn't really pan out. This book is part of a planned series, yet also has a self contained story. In writing a series like this, there is a fine balance of how much of the book focuses on the story at hand, and how much of the book is a setup for books to follow. The Diviners just didn't get it right. There was too much character and plot development that was simply a setup for future books. Also, the climax of the book came way too soon. I actually kept forgetting I wasn't finished with the book because the story seemed over, but there was still all this setup for the next book. I don't think I will continue with the series. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,766,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible