The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Libba Bray

Member:kayceel
Title:The Diviners
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Teen, Read but unowned
Tags:teen fiction, 2012, MockPrintz2013, fantasy, 1920s, New York, Harlem, speakeasies, music, Prohibition, magic, murder, supernatural, mystery, amateur detectives, historical fiction, psychics, uncles

The Diviners by Libba Bray (2012)

English (105)  Italian (2)  All languages (107)
It has been a LONG time since I have read a book that quickly. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
3.5 stars. I enjoyed it but it took forever to get through some parts. seemed like there were random things just thrown in because it was an interesting fact, not because it helped the story at all. Maybe it will all come into play later. Just seems like it could have been 100 pages shorter and still got the job done. Usually I have the opposite problem and want it to be longer. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I absolutely adored this book. The characters and plotare fantastic and I loved the 1920s setting.I can't wait for the sequel. ( )
  elfie1980 | Jul 2, 2014 |
  elfie1980 | Jul 2, 2014 |
The Diviners by Libba Bray was EVERYTHING I hoped it would be. Not only is it set during a fascinating time period full of gangsters, booze and changing fads… but it is also set in a time during which spiritualism and voodoo were being brought out from behind closed doors.

This book combined both of these 1920 ideals perfectly. It was creepy and charming all at the same time.

The Diviners book predominantly follows a girl named Evie who is exiled from her small hometown into the bustling streets of the big apple. During her time spent in New York with her Uncle Will she begins to discover things about herself… and about the city’s strange past.

With murder, romance, magic and more its hard to close this book once you’ve picked it up. This book is pos-i-tutely incredible and I can't wait to read more.

5/5 stars to The Diviners and I have to say… probably my favorite work by the queen herself.. Libba Bray! ( )
  WriteReviews | Jun 11, 2014 |
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? - "The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats
For my mom, Nancy Bray, who taught me to love reading by example
In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes.

Seventeen-year-old Evie O'Neill is thrilled when she is exiled from small-town Ohio to New York City in 1926, even when a rash of occult-based murders thrusts Evie and her uncle, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, into the thick of the investigation.… (more)

170 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,489,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible