Washington Rules: America’s Path to…

Washington Rules: America’s Path to Permanent War (2010)

by Andrew Bacevich

Recently added bypeterallen5, private library, lcurtiss1238, NateK, edbertozzi, Artymedon, billcharton, qaphsiel

English (3)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (4)
Written by a retired colonel, he challenges the "Washing Rules" the rules under which our foreign and military policy has been based for almost a century. That is, that the world must be organized in alignment with American principles, even if it means using force. And this is based on the assumption of unlimited resources. He argues that this is unsustainable drain on our country and will ultimately lead to disaster if we do not reconsider our course. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
What a remarkable author. He articulates a strong opinion and dissects it well. His premise about how Washington has put us in a perpetual state of war is truly depressing. The author has a lot to say, that is valuable and well said. I'd love to see him be the one to fix things. ( )
  bermandog | Jul 12, 2011 |
Another perceptive and convincing work from Andrew Bacevich. This one argues that the U.S. military/industrial complex has become a self-propelling behemoth, which continues to expand almost no matter who is nominally in charge in Washington. This has tended to push U.S. foreign policy towards -- shall we say -- an overassumption of international responsibility, where every thing that happens everywhere is within the U.S. policy purview. Now, the bills are starting to get too big for the economy to pay. The book convinced me that cutting back military and security spending is the most important thing we could do as a nation to improve our financial situation and long term security. ( )
  annbury | Aug 31, 2010 |
Suffer us not to mock ourselves with falsehood.

T. S. Eliot, “Ash Wednesday” (1930)
To my darling daughters

Jennifer Maureen

Amy Elizabeth

Kathleen Therese

The bestselling author of The Limits of Power critically examines the Washington consensus on national security and why it must change

For the last half century, as administrations have come and gone, the fundamental assumptions about America's military policy have remained unchanged: American security requires the United States (and us alone) to maintain a permanent armed presence around the globe, to prepare our forces for military operations in far-flung regions, and to be ready to intervene anywhere at any time. In the Obama era, just as in the Bush years, these beliefs remain unquestioned gospel.

In a vivid, incisive analysis, Andrew J. Bacevich succinctly presents the origins of this consensus, forged at a moment when American power was at its height. He exposes the preconceptions, biases, and habits that underlie our pervasive faith in military might, especially the notion that overwhelming superiority will oblige others to accommodate America's needs and desires—whether for cheap oil, cheap credit, or cheap consumer goods. And he challenges the usefulness of our militarism as it has become both unaffordable and increasingly dangerous.

Though our politicians deny it, American global might is faltering. This is the moment, Bacevich argues, to reconsider the principles which shape American policy in the world—to acknowledge that fixing Afghanistan should not take precedence over fixing Detroit. Replacing this Washington consensus is crucial to America's future, and may yet offer the key to the country's salvation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

Examines the Washington consensus on national security and explains why it should change, arguing that America should fix internal problems rather than using the military to fix perceived international ones.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,400,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible