I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha…

I Know I Am, But What Are You? (2010)

by Samantha Bee

This is one of the funniest books that I've read in a LONG time. I giggled the whole way through it -- out loud -- sometimes I had to stop because tears were coming to my eyes. She reminds me of Augusten Burroughs without all the really serious tragedy. I give it a four only because I AM the May/December relationship girl, and society can kiss my black ass. :) If nothing else go to the bookstore and read the chapter about Jesus being her boyfriend... it's the third or fourth and aptly titled.

DEFINITELY worth the read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
So funny! I love her and this book is hilarious and cute, which is a weird thing to say about a book but I think it fits for this book. I loved every second of this book, and everyone should read it. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
Samantha Bee, best known for her job as a "correspondent" on The Daily Show, offers up a humorous sort-of-a-memoir, in which she talks about her parents and her misspent youth and tells wacky stories about her experiences with pets, flashers, and bad Christmas gifts. A lot of it is dirty, and a surprising amount of it is downright appalling (especially her descriptions of the kind of things she got up to as a teenager). Her writing style is generally pretty funny -- not necessarily laugh-out-loud hilarious, but amusing. Her subject matter, though, sometimes gets a little uncomfortable for me. I like to think I have a fairly uninhibited sense of humor, but there does seem to be a limit to how much I can laugh at stories that involve sexual predators going after thirteen-year-old girls, or people neglecting their pets. The frequent jokes about things like how disgusting she finds the idea of elderly people having sex got a little old, too, especially as I'm on the side of the seniors on that one. I say, enjoy yourselves as long as you can, guys! ( )
1 vote bragan | Jun 20, 2013 |
Having recently read Sarah Silverman's book Bedwetter, I decided, apparently, to conduct a tour of favorite female comics. Anyway, unlike Silverman, Bee actually manages to construct a book that is plausibly biographical. It's made of anecdotes, but by connecting them with words like "then" and "so, next" an impression of linearity and narrative coherence is subtly conveyed. (Sorry Sarah! Luv you!) It also contains some genuinely funny material that you probably haven't heard Bee perform. Her early career in juvenile delinquency and car thievery, her mind blowing (parent cringing) pubescent experiments in self-endangerment with shady over-age men, her experiences with compulsive pet acquisition and neglect, and her humiliating involvement with cheesy fourth rate theater that led her to meet Jason Jones, all made it very difficult for my spouse to fall asleep as I read in bed. Not only did I have to laugh, but I had to wake her up to read about the cat that tried to copulate with Samantha's head. Unlike the Silverman book where you probably had to pre-love the Sarah to grok the book, this one is LOL city even if you haven't experienced Samantha on the Daily Show. It's light as a feather, but lots of fun.

Now I'd better go read a book about the Holocaust, just so I don't float away. ( )
  hereandthere | Apr 8, 2013 |
Very funny. An empty bladder is highly recommended. ( )
  anguinea | Apr 4, 2013 |

Bee delivers hilarious essays on everything from her parents' views on religion and sex to her pre-"Daily Show" stint as a Japanese anime character.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible